The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Saturation Voice AW 4416
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:48 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Pizza
Machine type: AW4416
Hello guys! During this time I feel the need to use the item a slight saturation, but I see that in my Aw 4416 there is this option between the effects. I see "distortion" or "amp simulated". :-k There is something more like a saturator? :roll: In this case, what, and how the set? Or else how can I saturate?

Thank you all and sorry for the English! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:32 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
What kind of track are you wanting to "saturate"? Vocal? Guitar?

What sort of outcome are you looking for? Lots of harmonic overtones? Simulated "tube warmth"?

Try describing what you are trying to achieve.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:27 am 
Dude

I'd be looking mainly a saturation for the voice that would add more color and warmth to the voice, more heat would look good even on the drums, but I do not know how! ](*,)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:18 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I do not believe there is a "saturation" EFF, of the kind you seek, on the AW series. I believe you are looking for something that will generate overtones and harmonics that will color or "excite" the track.

You can do a couple of things to try to achieve what you seek. I might suggest some or all of the following.

Make a copy of the vocal and move it to another track (pair the tracks if you want, or leave them separate-depends on what you will do > pair them if you will treat both the same)

Pan them to opposite sides >> try hard Right-Left or be more gentle.

EQ them differently. Don't be afraid to experiment with some odd looking EQ curves. Once you have in your ear what the settings do in combination, dial back, as less is usually better, Same with the DYN

Compress them (DYN) differently.

Insert about 2-4ms of time at the beginning of one of the tracks to "timeshift" them.

Detune one of them by about 2-4 cents.

Use the EFF on one or both >leave one dry and reverb up the other to put it "behind".

I think there is some kind of a Harmonizer EFF that detunes and lets you set how many "voices " you generate. This can lead to "robot" voicing and may not be what you want.

Retrack, with a Large diaphram microphone.

Track in a bathroom or stairwell other resonant space.

Sing from your diaphram for a bigger sound. Throat and head voices are less colorful.

Do several takes, using the same settings and Mic, and copy/paste the best of the sections to create the final vocal track.

Double the vocal, by singing the song twice and overlaying the separate takes. This is best when the performances are faithfully identical, lest they sound like two tracks and/or they will chorus.

You can buy vocal enhancers ( software or hardware) >> export the track and do it with software on a computer >> or use a hardware box and send the vocal through it on the way in, while tracking or later through the AUX outs and then back in through an input.

Hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's (pig's) ear though.

Experiment, have fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:15 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
Google "the exciting compressor". it may be what you are after

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:52 am 
Dude

Thank you all! In recent days I have tried to experiment a little bit of everything. Currently I have not found anything that would help me, but the technique of the voice of a parallel channel, compressed a lot and kept a little lower volume and moved a few milliseconds helps a lot to bring out the voice of the mix. Thank you all! =D> Hopefully, with a bit of experience now, be able to find this effect "forbidden"! hehhe :lol:

PS. I did not understand this thing of "exciting compressor"