The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:42 pm 
Lava Boy

Favourite food: Varies
Machine type: AW16G
It's been forever since I have been back to the forum but hope most of my old friends are still around.

How do you select virtual stereo tracks for same song for recording during MIXDOWN mode on AW16G?

I am mixing down some demo recordings that were mixed down to cassette tapes back before CD-R's were around. Recordings themselves of course were all analogue 1" tape. Since importing from cassette tape was a new experience for me, I ran the tape source through a couple different stereo pre-amps to work with (and perhaps combine) recorded to different paired tracks but within the same song.

The manual on page 86 (top right column #2) under Recording On the Stereo Track refers to having 8 virtual tracks available to choose from. There is also a diagram of a screen shot under the Monitor section where you can select one of the 8 virtual tracks to monitor at the bottom of the left column. When I go to the Mixdown screen before or after selecting the Record option from the on screen menu however there is NO option to select a virtual stereo track to record to.

I suppose copying the "song" and saving it with an alternate name would work. Unfortunately this is the project where I just recorded the entire demo as one song recording so it is kind of a large file plus I have a second demo tape of another band also recorded the same way on the HD. I want to get the recordings onto my PC and use Audacity to separate out the individual songs.

Guess I need to optimize and check available disk space first but I was concerned that making multiple 40 minute copies of the "songs" plus the two or three versions of stereo tacks for mixdown to burn to the CDs will max out the HD.

So is the manual misleading me by putting the virtual stereo track playback option under the Recording to a Stereo Track page? To have the option of selecting from 8 virtual stereo tracks would imply you can record virtual stereo tracks to choose from...

Thanks in advance for any help. I am hoping to get the two or three signal path input versions mixed down and burned to a CD tonight for one of the demo's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:48 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hey Scooter, welcome back.

Once you select a VT, that's the VT the machine works with for everything you do, including making a mixdown. So, for instance, when you choose VT3 on track 1, that is what track 1 is going to be. This goes for playback, mixing, everything.

It's not clear to me what the problem is using the stereo track but then again I have to work from memory now on what the steps are, and my memory is one of the things that tells me that my work from an evolution point of view is done...

I'm glad we have a number of sharp minds aboard. They will surely know what info you need.

I hope all is well in the Scoot Household!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:49 am 
Lava Boy

Yeah I get virtual track selection fine for recording tracks 1-16. It is just when I get to Mixdown to the Stereo track that the virtual track selection disappears for recording to. In the monitor Stereo track however it shows 8 virtual tracks available. I wish I could take actual screen shots from my 16G.

If no one else has any ideas I will optimize and check for available storage space on the HD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:49 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
You are on the right track. select the virtual track you wish to use as your stereo track -- you do this in the monitor screen of which you spoke. Now when you go to your mixdown operations it will occur on the ST virtual that you chose from the screen's display you accessed through the Monitor Button.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:55 am 
Lava Boy

MUCHO GRACIAS Byron.

I think I actually wondered about that after I recorded the first stereo track but I didn't want to take a chance on recording over the one I just finished.

Seems a backwards way of selecting a virtual stereo track through the monitoring screen but if it works..... it works!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:23 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Robbie wrote:
I'm glad we have a number of sharp minds aboard. They will surely know what info you need.

See? :)

I read in the DCD that quoting oneself is caused by the same neurologic disfunction as the desire to make selfies.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating