The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 pm 
Graduated from newbie status

Favourite food: Cheese
Machine type: AW16G
Hi everyone - more technical questions. I am close to graduating from "newbie" status I think, as I am right at the very end of the mixing/mastering process of my recent CD project - my first one on the G16.

I just gave every song the final YES vote in terms of sound -- it's as good as I am going to get it, sonically.

The very last thing now is to get the track lengths perfect from one song to the next. FWIW I'm using disc at once for burning since there are two songs on the CD that bleed into each other. That aspect is working perfectly, but there are still a couple songs where I want to lengthen or shorten the transition time. Since each song starts immediately, I am altering the dead space at the end of each track where needed.

So here's the problem: The times aren't changing. On the first song, I went in to Song --> Point, and rest the END and OUT times back from 3:23 to 3:17 (or 3:19 or something - I shortened the ending by a few seconds anyway)... Then I saved it and reburned, but the track lengths somehow didn't change. When I burned it again, track 1 length is still 3:23. I adjusted about 6 tracks similarly, and on the re-burn, none of the song lengths changed.

I thought if I changed the END and OUT times, that would be the new point where the song ends.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

It's kind of a nitpicky thing, but I've anted up so much into this project, it's a shame not to get the sequencing transitions just right, you know?

I did as much searching on the forum as I could, so as to not repeat any question, but terms like "time" "track time" Length" etc. are super broad and didn't give me anything relevant.

Any help you could give me would be most appreciated. Thanks all!

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:50 pm 

Never mind, folks. I figured it out.

On the songs to be shortened, I had to go to the editing screen and delete (or erase) remaining information onward from the point at which I wanted the song to stop (there was recorded, though silent, signal that went past my "out point" so I had to get rid of it).

And on the songs to be lengthened, I just "recorded" to mixdown dead air onward from the point at which the information stooped to the point where I wanted the song to end. All on the appropriate stereo track.

Thanks.

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:14 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Well done Jon.

You deserve your new rank. :)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:58 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
=D>

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:01 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
JonnyFranchi$e wrote:
And on the songs to be lengthened, I just "recorded" to mixdown dead air onward from the point at which the information stooped to the point where I wanted the song to end.
FYI, you can also use EDIT-INSERT to add blank audio.

Good work on figuring it all out on your own! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:00 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Don't forget that everytime you make a change to a stereo track, it must first be saved because if you don't the burn utility will use the last version that was in memory. i am not sure if thei would be affected by start/end times but the best habit is to always/ immediately save any changes you make to a stereo track.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 pm 

"Graduated from newbie status"

Love it! =D>
Funny, after I sent that second email and I was listening to the playback, I thought "hmmm, maybe I did graduate from newbie status with that one."

Nice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:08 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Congrats on working your way through it.
Also thanks for the up on the Soundcloud site, I must be honest I`m not a massive fan of hip-hop and the like but I do appreciate any kind of music if it`s done well and you`ve made a good job of it, some nice sounds and I like the atmoshere of some of the tracks.
Nice one.

T.

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GETYJUJKu0

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac