The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:27 pm 
City Slicker

Favourite food: pizza
Machine type: AW16G
Hi there. Up until now I have been inserting/editing 2 seconds of space at the beginning of each song for a project I'm working on. Last night I attempted to insert the usual 2 seconds of space at the beginning of a song mixed down on a stereo track. The inserted 2 seconds does not show up when I play the burned CD from the Stereo track. Is there something different with the stereo track when it comes to editing? Up till now I've always edited any Insert, Erase of Delete edits on the actual playback tracks, and just mixdown to the stereo tracks with all the silences and spaces already done on the regular tracks. Is there something different that goes on with editing the stereo mixdown tracks that is different from the playback tracks? The audio starts immediately without having the 2 seconds "Insert" of space that I know I edited into the stereo track.
-my machine is the AW16g-

Thank you,

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

I routinely delete dead space at the beginning of the stereo track, and it works as you would expect it to. I imagine the same would be true for inserting space as well. Probably something else going on - did you save the song between the edit and burning the cd?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:24 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Could this be a marker issue?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:19 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I do know that if the space before a stereo track is completely empty of data, when you ask the machine to burn it will always start the burn at the beginning of the data. I discovered this working on long live recordings, from which i often choose just one section to mix, with the intent of applying what i learn to my lesser"favourite" sections of the session.

I will do a bench test when down at the machine. Has been a bit more often lately....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:16 am 
City Slicker

Hi Byron and Robbie, thank you.

I thought I had been vigilant with "save" after any maneuver or edit made. Maybe I had missed that but not convinced. If in fact, the stereo track only starts the burn at the beginning of recorded data, that may explain it but, it does in fact include "Insert" space done in the tracks before mixdown. I will go and experiment again now with that. Up until last night I had always edited with Erase, Insert or Delete to make 2 seconds of silence before the onset of any audio, just for the sake of consistency. Its never excluded an Insert of space during the burn when done in the tracks but maybe has an issue when time is Inserted in the mixed down stereo track. And I do believe the stereo track actually Plays the Inserted time, just doesn't seem to include it in the burn.

Thanks for looking into that, I'll take a closer look at that.

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:11 am 
City Slicker

Just a thought. I have been using "disc at once" for all my single song burns. I'm wondering if this has something to do with direct "insert" at the beginning of stereo tracks not showing up in the burn.

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:22 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I think it does. Most of the times I use the track at once option.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:37 am 
Marker Magician

Track at once inserts 2 seconds of silence between each track on a burn list. Disc at once does not. Not sure if this really affects what has happened to you.

I believe (guess) what is happening in your case is that when you insert the space into the tracks, upon the mixdown, that space becomes part of the wav (as silence). But, when you insert a space before a stereo track, there is no wav information there, so the machine ignores it when it cues itself for the burn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:30 pm 
City Slicker

I believe you are right. Inserted silence is not seen the same as recorded silence. (At least with Disc-at-Once)
Thanks for hanging in with me guys.
By the way, I'm looking to come up with a final copy for my project that will include the number and name of each track, and the ability to navigate forward and/or backwards to each track as you can with normal music CDs on commercial or car CD players, and MP3 players as well. I'll start a new thread on this and if I'm a lucky guy, maybe you guys could stop by and offer a hand. I have a Roland VS880EX as well that can be used to compile all of the 70 tracks of so that will be in my project. I'll explain more clearly in a new thread. thanks very much for you time, I'm really looking forward to a well completed and ready for market audio soundtrack!

Thank you!

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:21 am 
Marker Magician

The "loudness war" thread that Robbie posted recently is instructive, if you have not already realized the reality that, while the G will give you opportunity and tools to make a great mix, you may well have to do some post production, if you want your project to be "marketable" as you suggest is your goal. There are a few 'tricks' you can employ on your way to producing a polished finished product completely from within the AW. But getting your well balanced stereo 2-track mix on to another platform in order to gently use some limiting to boost the overall volume is often the way you have to go, if you want your disc to be close to those it might come up against in a random play mode on a multi disc changer.

You certainly don't want to fall into the trap, as described in Robbie's posted video, but ... things are now louder than they were before. Limiting is not a new concept, but in the digital world with brick wall capabilites, it is easy to go overboard and squeeze the life out of your tunes.