The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:41 am 
Lone Star

Favourite food: shaurma
Machine type: Other - please inform admin
im trying to record with a new samson c01 condeser. and a alto s-6 mixer that i have never used before. as soon as everything is in place, and i press the phantom pwr botton the outpot level leds all light up even the red ones, and so does the peak leds in all 6 channals. it dosnt metter what i do and even if i put all of the gain controls high or low the leds dont change, and i get no recordng.
now here is the really wierd thing. once i shut down the phantom pwr, and eveything is still in place, there are like 5 seconds in witch the microphone works on the left over pwr, and it records as well! then ofcurse it runs out of power and everything stops.
does any body know what am i doing wrong? what might be the problem?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:34 am 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
hi there, welcome to the forum.

A C01 from samsom has a 36 to 52 volts range for phantom power. Check the mixers output to see if it matches. If possible to connect to another mixer. (Someone elses ?) If it is a recent purchase take it back to shop and have it checked while the waranty still applies. Also make sure your mic cable is not running parallel with power lines or lying against power supplies, it might pickup some unwanted noise there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:38 am 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
I checked specs for the mixer. It should be ok. Best have the device checked. In some rare cases the mixer may have a wrong voltage out. If you have more than opne cable replace the one you have used so far. Cables can be faulty to ...

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 am 
Lone Star

thankes very much! the mixer is not new, and i got it from a friend that has worked with it before and i have seen it oparate just before i took it.. i dont think the problem has anything to do with the cable, because even when its pluged out i get the same results. i will try a different mixer tomorrow. thank you very much, you guys answerd very quick! im glad to start being a part of this comunity..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:20 pm 
Lone Star

maybe this will help.... i kept on playing with the mixer without the mic conected. and i found out that everything is complitly fine, even with phantom on, untill i plug in the mic. the leds were working fine, the peak led was blinking, as soon as i plug in the mic, all the leds light up and the hole think stops working. like i said before, when i shut down the phantom the mic records for a couple of seconds and everything works great, then ofcourse the mic runs out of power.

so this is what we know so far.

- the mic is getting power because the blue led on it lights up
- when mic is not conected, mixer is opariting complitly perfect.
- the mic is brand new.
- the mic works on reserve pwr when i shut down phantom
- all the conection are ok, because i get recording and sound out of the speakers/ headphones in those few short seconds

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:34 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: chicken
Machine type: AW4416
If your satified that the mixer is working as it should without mic etc then that suggests that the actual mic or cable could be the cause. Is the cable in good cond ie it not damaged inside the cable or that the XLR conections are still good, if in doubt try using another cable. Failing that then the mic needs to be checked out either on another mixer if possible or taken back to the store if its a recent purchase for testing. Hope you get it sorted soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:27 pm 
Lone Star

a friend of mine will bring his mixer tomorrow to see what might bee causing the problem. thankes everybody.. ill be sure to update whats the result after tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:30 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Welcome. I don't think you need to use the phantom power with the mixer. The mixer itself should offer you enough level in order to get a good quality sound that will record your volume at -6 to 0. I run a separate yammie mixer in to two input channels of my AW2400 and don't use the phantom power switch.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:24 pm 
Lone Star

i have to use it cause otherwise the microphone has no power. it dosnt have a bettary....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:29 pm 
Marker Magician

If the mic requires phantom (ie. a condenser mic) then it has to come from somewhere. If the mic is a dynamic mic (such as a sm57 or sm58) no phantom is required.

How are you connecting the mixer to your AW? If you are connecting the mixer to the AW inputs via balanced XLR cables, and if you have the phantom power activated on the AW, it would be sending power back to the mixer's outputs. You are also sending phantom to the mic itself from the mixer's input. Not sure if that unneeded phantom from the AW, back to the mixer, would cause such a problem, but I try to remember to switch the AW's phantom off when i am providing phantom from an external source such as a mixer or preamp. This is what Ron was saying in the previous message. > Get your phantom from the mixer, and turn the AW phantom off.

The fact that it works for that brief window as you are powering down would lead to a suspicion that there is too much juice making it to the mic ???? I do know that providing phantom to some mics is not advised. Ribbon mics will burn out if phantom is applied. Most dynamic mic, however, just ignore the phantom should it be sent.

Do you have another mic that would need phantom? I'd trade out components, until I found the offending piece of gear.

Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:37 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
One other consideration you might want to think about, get an inexpensive preamp. ART makes one that can be found for as little as $40USD. It would definitely give you the boost in signal.

rz-land