The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: External Effects
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:26 am 
Boot Polisher

Machine type: AW16G
Been reading the manual on using external effects and I hit a deadend. I hooked up a stereo digital unit (Ibanez SDR1000) to the stereo aux out of the G. I would like to playback the recorded tracks and add a little effect to the tracks of my choice.
I am getting confused with "raising aux knobs of pre and post". Can I achieve what I want to do by using the Stereo Bus in the Pan screen, rather than Aux 1/2?
Just asking this question is confusing me!!! Can anyone give me a simple step-by-step?

Post subject: Re: External Effects
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:57 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Use the aux out option. If your effects box has a mono input send the AUX one bus to the effects box. Dial up each channel that you want to go through the box (reverb?). The box will output a stereo signal. you will patch the left and the right to two inputs on the G. Those inputs need be assigned to the mix via the monitor button. you will hear the wet signal as part of stereo channel output.

As for pre/post - I would send it pre. Then you can adjust the wet / dry mix ratio. The dry is coming to the mix via the tracks, but with pre set on the AUX 1 sends, no matter where the track fader sits, there will always be a constant signal to the effects box when in pre. If you want to adjust the level of the inputs used to patch the return, you will have use the input fader screen via the view button, or turn down the AUX 1 send level using the virtual fader shown on another available screen. (not sure the button to push to get the send level, as I have not used my 1600 in a while. The 2400 that i now use has real faders to control both the sends and returns of each effect bus). On the G/ 1600 the effect returns are at the bottom of the effect edit screens.

A lot for one message - see what you can do and then ask for clarification as you dabble and encounter problems/ uncertainties.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:01 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Hi,
Connect effects to aux out option like Byron described.

Except - I'd use POST with ext effects most of the time. I know this is personal choice, but with post you can keep wet/dry balance constant when you move a ch fader. I don't want to put fader volume down and still hear effect of that channel I guess.
Global wet/dry mix ratio can be adjusted in effect box and with ch in/aux out volume levels, for each channel there's Aux knob.
Use pre/post like you want (it's nothing wrong with Byron's description if you know how it works :)

I usually use pre when monitoring.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:56 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
yes, getting head around pre/post applications is a good spot upon which to study as you progress on the learning curve.