The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:20 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

Machine type: AW16G
Hello.
I can't find more than one Stereo Track at a time.
I recorded & then hit the safe button on my second Stereo Track,but when I try to write tracks to disk only Track 1 would show up.
But when I deleted the first Stereo Test Track,then I was able to get the 2nd Stereo Track to show up....: )
Any advice will be very much appreciated by this Newbie !

Thanks
Johnny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:24 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
I believe you are referring to the jog wheel syndrome. One you press new, your saved stereo tracks appear on the one line. Highlight that line and spin the jog wheel for other stereo tracks.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:27 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
A song has potentially 8 stereo mixdown tracks. The one that is used for a "burn" is the one selected when you last saved the song. E.g., if you want to burn #2, then make the #2 "dot" black, save the song and then do the burn. As you know, only the song name shows up in the burn list, not the stereo track number.

Probably the reason the 2nd showed up after deleting #1 is that it was the only stereo track left for the song and got automatically selected.

Welcome to the forum!

Burn on,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:35 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Hi Johnny, and welcome to the forum. Lots of good info in this sticky:

http://forum.dijonstock.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1473

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:02 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Welcome Johnny.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:58 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the advice and welcomes.
Can't way to give it a try tomorrow! Also I guess I can go ahead and throw this out there too,afew of my friends in the business have suggested I allow a pro/studio do my Final Master/Re-Master-Mix...and one of the big reasons was,"to achieve that Big Mix" that most Radio Ready productions have"...I have noticed with the few "Test Stereo Tracks" I have burned,that when I playback on any CD Player,I have to turn the volume up a good bit to have that Pro sounding Level" I've tried maxing out the Channel input,almost to the point of Distortion and Whether Vocal or Instrument Line in,,,didn't seem to make a difference in "Final Output Levels"...

Thanks again for the Great advice and hosptality ~ : )

Johnny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:47 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
I released my first CD about 2 years ago. I did all the recording with an AW16G or AW1600. Since I didn't pay for studio time, I decided to spend the bucks for a pro to master it. Frankly, outside of the increased volume, I could hardly tell any difference with the pre-mastered songs. I used some PC software, Sound Forge, to do my own mastering on a couple of the songs, and there wasn't that much difference between the pro mastered version and mine. The next time (if there is one), I'll just do it myself. Might not reach the pro level, but will be close enough for me (and easier on my wallet).

You might investigate some free or low cost audio programs and play around with their capabilities for mastering. Maybe even have one song mastered by a pro and then compare it to what you did.

BTW, what increases the average volume level is using compression and limiting on the final mix. If the audio mastering program can generate statistics for the song, then the RMS value represents the average volume. As you use more compression/limiting the RMS value gets higher. However, audio quality also suffers. It's all a trade off.

The benefit of mastering might also vary with the type of music.

Note: The AW16G has "mastering" capabilities when doing a stereo mixdown. However, I don't think many forum members use it. See "Mastering Library" on the mixdown screen.

Record on,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:05 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I'm with Ralph, You can get a bigger sound, but it is better done outside the AW environment, using (gently - depending on your material) a limiter, and perhaps a bit of eQ. I use a deEsser on some mixes. Sound forge, wav Lab, etc. I have never used Audacity for any "mastering" but i bet you could achieve some more punch using its capabilities, and it is a free download.