The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: multiband idea
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:11 pm 
Dude

Machine type: AW1600
yamaha units don't have a multiband compressor. i usually thought 'whatever' but there's one particular bass track i have, where most the time it has the right amount of shiny high end, but digging on the odd accent in the high end increased the highs a lot more than lows.

ignoring remarks about how my bass playing isn't perfect, i thought about multiband comrpessors and basically set one up in the aw1600. this is relatively simple, copying the track onto a spare vtr. applying hpf to one, and then the opposite lpf to the other(so the graph would cross halfway not at zero) and applying compression as desired, bouncing back down probably...and done, much better bass sounds i really find that most the other times its an improvement becuase the harmonics aren't pulled pack too far(i find full compression stodgy on this) and the natural character of mid frequencies remains while you dial in punch in the lows and highs.

(i also use one live, as i use a ABY crossover pedal, almost essential with distortion but makes compression more useable too)

Post subject: Re: multiband idea
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:50 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Haven't used this technique in a while, but treating two identical tracks with separate dynamics is something I have done. Do you send both tracks down the middle or do you pan L/R to some degree?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:47 pm 
Dude

Machine type: AW1600
just like a mono multiband really.. down the middle (for whatever later panning but usually not on bass). i could isolate the frequency and compress but its perhaps hard to take out and add to the dry track without afftecting it too much, perhaps not..

at least i do this for bass... for guitar i've often already got more than one track because multi-mic techniques. I guess i use the same principle if i need compression. I usually pan guitar mic tracks it almost always sounds less close.
that another thing i picked up recently, the use of mics in various positions and even if usually completely unsuitable and cheap can work to give a kind of equalisation later.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:58 pm 
Lone Star

Machine type: AW2400
maybe this is a dumb question but cant you create a multiband compressor by switching the position of the compressor into pre eq or post fader? i was told once at guitar center that the multiband compressor is created by combining the compressor with the eq in a chain.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:58 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
smokeme442200 wrote:
maybe this is a dumb question but cant you create a multiband compressor by switching the position of the compressor into pre eq or post fader? i was told once at guitar center that the multiband compressor is created by combining the compressor with the eq in a chain.

Hi,
no dumb question, but I can't say this for your gutarcentreman.. :D
I don't have 2400 to try, but in audio theory pre or post (eq or fader) change doesn't make multiband compressor, because you will still have only one band. With multi-band you should have whole audio frequency range devided (for example) to 3 compressors: one for low, one for mid, one for high. So, you would also need eq/filter with 3 separate outs to 3 compressors...

P.S.: Don't believe everything you hear in music stores.. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
You can make three identical copies of a single track. Boost the equalizer in the lowest frequency on copy #1. Boost the middle frequencies on track #2. And the higher frequencies on track #3. Then, apply compression on #3. Then, add all tracks (more or less equally) in the mix. Et voila... multiband compression. :)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating