The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: stero track recording
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:42 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: pizza
Machine type: AW1600
When recording ; mastering on to stereo track; playback of recorded track includes space before I hit the record button. This necessitates editing the track to eliminate the unwanted space. This is a new issue, as it hasn't been a problem prior. Any ideas??? Is there a way to mark the recording point as zero?
d'buddah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:23 pm 
Review Guru

Favourite food: Vegetable Lasagne
Machine type: AW16G
Hi DBuddah,
Are you trying to start everything at once when you hit rec/play?
Maybe I misunderstood.
Everything that you record in 'real time' to the stereo track should be relative to zero.
Even if you wait to hit the 'record' portion right off the bat in stereo mixdown mode

I've hit record and play at same time or waited until the beginning quirks cleared up and then hit record to stereo track as all the tracks were playing back..
It should line up when it's a finalized file after you 'save' the 'song' immediately after performing the stereo track mixdown.

If it continues to be a problem, at least you can practice editing chops?
#-o

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:43 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
You can delete the portion of the stereo track before the beginning of the mix. This won't effect at all the tracks you have recorded.

Also, I have found through happenstance that as long at the portion of the stereo track befopre the tune carries no data, the tune will start at the beginning of the data when you burn. This is true of as little as a second or as much as an hour's space before actual data exists on the stereo track.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:57 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Welcome to the forum dbuddah. Enjoy your stay.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:21 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: pizza
Thanks for the welcome and info. I purchased an AW 1600 about 3 mos ago and am continually learning. All in all a great machine. So far 9 master tracks as I get the hang of editing and deleting. My last issue started happening after I had a disk full message; so I had to delete some older songs. I can edit out the beginning, but it once operated as stated . It records dead space b4 the music begins which I sometimes have a hard time deleting as it really has no info. I record by stopping the tape after drum clicks, and then hitting rec/play. If I burn a cd as recorded; there is dead space on it if it's not edited out. Very perplexing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:50 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

If you are pressing PLAY, waiting a few seconds and then pressing RECORD-PLAY, you will get silence at the front end of your stereo mixdown.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:48 am 
Marker Magician

I usually record my stereo track from a marker I place at the very beginning of song data. Place the marker by ear or If necessary, use the jog function (button) to find the sample before the first sample of the downbeat or pickup beat ( depending on your song's intro). Read up in the manual about how to set the pre or post roll on the jog loop. (Utility button> preference screen) You will want pre to locate the sample you want. Here's how - Press play: as soon as you hear the song begin > press stop; now press the jog button. You will hear a loop of a short portion before the song and then the first samples of the song itself ( assuming you stopped the playback quickly when it first began) ; Now spin the jog wheel counterclockwise. this moves the end point of the loop back on the time counter.; You will hear less and less of your song's beginning as you roll the data backwards. When you can no longer hear the last little click > that is the very beginning of your tune, you are at the spot you need. Drop a marker here. >> Now when you use RTZ to go to the beginning of your data as you make successive listens or repeated stereo recordings, you are quickly able to hit the marker forward button to get to the sample that begins your song.

If you use this marker, before hitting record, the space at the beginnig of your stereo recording will be empty of data, no matter how long that space may be. If this section is truly free of data, you can burn a stereo track to CD and that empty space will not appear on your disc.

Another way is to record the stereo track from 0:00 and then delete any data in front of the song, which moves the whole stereo track back to 0:00.

Don't forget when you burn > disc-at-once strings the stereo tracks together from the actual beginning and ending of each track on the burn list. Whilst Track-at-once puts 2 seconds of silence between tracks. you have to plan for this if you are trying to precisely control the dead space between tunes, if you are attempting to produce a finished product with spaces of a size you wish to pre-determine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Hot and Fatty
Old fashioned as I am. I take note of the counter where the song starts, and start the mixdown recording when it reaches there. Get the way you like to do it and stick to doing it that way I think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 am 
Dude

Favourite food: green vagetables
Its very important to make some good track of music. I also want to develop my own studio and making recording track for my music production. I like to making some good music for the music company. I develop music using stereo track recording and make a best voice music.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:49 pm 
Tenderfoot

When you Erase, you leave the space there with no data. This is useful for cleaning up the start of individual audio tracks to get rid of rustles, breathes, countins etc. eg if the track starts at zero and the music starts 2 sec, if you erase 1.5 seconds, then the music will still start at 2 seconds but with 1.5 seconds of complete silence before the music. That is, just as before but with silence in the gap.

When you use Delete, you actually delete the space and the whole track moves back towards zero eg If the music started at 2 seconds and you erased 1.5 seconds, then the music would start at 0.5 seconds from zero.

If you want to avoid any possible damage through bad editing, you may find it easier to mixdown the tracks as they are then Edit the stereo master, using either Erase or Delete as above. If you are still unsure, or it needs to be very precise, copy your stereo master onto another track and edit that. If you want to change the leadin time, you can always follow this with an Insert.

One of the CD options (Disc at Once) automatically adds an additional two seconds (I think) between the tracks you select in the Burn screen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
Marker Magician

Actually it is track at once that adds the two seconds. Use track at once if you are creating a disc by the developing a burn list from assembly of multiple songs ("projects"). Of course you can assemble a burn list from multiple tracks using disc at once too, but the assembly will be an exact "chain" of the data, without insertion of 2 seconds between items on the list.

Disc at once is most useful if you want to utilize the "marker" function, to establish track markers, on a burn that is taken not from a list of projects, but rather from a single, long (multi-tune) stereo track, such as would be the product of a concert/jam session/rehearsal.