The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:58 am 
Dude

Favourite food: pizza
Machine type: AW1600
Hi, I finally am trying out working some external processors into my mixdown on my current project. I figured out how to route the signal out the aux outs, through my gear, and bring it back to the G's inputs. I ran some drums and bass through my joe meek TwinQ, and oh crap, it sounds awesome. So then I tried to run a vocal line out through my RNC and back. For some reason, I'm not getting the same level of signal back to the G as I'm sending out-- even if I bypass the compressor and set the gain on the RNC at 0. Any ideas or guidance on this?

I'm routing my track to the aux bus pre fader, and I'm bringing it back on an input (with the gain knobs all the way to the left at 'line') -- would I need to boost gain in order not to lose signal volume, even though I'm bypassing any compression? I'm kind of guessing that is the case. When I A/B with the original track, there is probably at least a 6 db volume loss.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:45 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

I'm not sure that indicates a problem. Run a cable from the Aux Out into an input and see if the same thing happens. The "calibration" of the AW input at the LINE level setting of the gain pot may not match the output calibration. Might need to increase the input gain a bit.

Is the Aux Out screen pot set to 0 dB? Is the red master fader fully at the top?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:27 pm 
Dude

Yeah, aux and stereo faders are up. I was a/b'ing back and forth between input signal and original track signal to compare the compressed sound with raw, and trying to match levels. I guess I need to adjust the gain on either the input or the compressor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:43 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I don't have a RNC, but after a compression, you may need to add some makeup gain. The lower the threshold and the higher the ratio (working in tandum) - the more aggressive will be the compression and therefore the more need for makeup gain. The RNC must allow you to boost gain, once the signal has passed through the compressor section.

As Hog said, if the RNC does not give enough in the way of makeup, use the AW pre to boost a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:18 pm 
The General

Byron wrote:
I don't have a RNC, but after a compression, you may need to add some makeup gain. The lower the threshold and the higher the ratio (working in tandum) - the more aggressive will be the compression and therefore the more need for makeup gain. The RNC must allow you to boost gain, once the signal has passed through the compressor section.

+ 1

I have an RNC and have done this.

Never had an issue with too little gain on the way back in. Set the make-up gain on the RNC to get the level you want on the way back in.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:25 pm 
Dude

Ok good to hear. I know I have to add gain after compression, but i find I have to add gain even with compressor bypassed in order to have the returning level match the outbound level. Something about the way the signal is sent out of the aux (or the way it's handled in the rnc) causes a loss in signal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:39 pm 
The General

fngrpepr wrote:
Ok good to hear. I know I have to add gain after compression, but i find I have to add gain even with compressor bypassed in order to have the returning level match the outbound level. Something about the way the signal is sent out of the aux (or the way it's handled in the rnc) causes a loss in signal.

Check your cabling.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:46 am 

Did you try just a "no loss no gain" cable between Aux Out and the input? Also try another input and see if you get the same result.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:56 pm 

Just got back home yesterday from a turkey day trip. Since I also have an RNC, I ran a similar test on my AW1600.

Results are that the input signal is 12 dB lower than the stereo output, with the input gain pot set fully CCW (Line).

I tried it with the RNC in bypass and also with a cable from Stereo Out to an input. Also tried different inputs and the results were the same.

Go to the UTILITY-OSC screen and setup a 1 kHz oscillator to go out the Stereo Out. Either return this signal via the RNC (in bypass mode) or a direct cable to an input. Now go to the VIEW-METER screen, set it for PRE and press any Input button. You'll see the input is -12 dB, even though the output is set for 0 dB.

So don't worry, your equipment is working fine. You'll just have to add some "boost" to the input gain to match the 0 dB output. Use the oscillator hookup to find out how much is needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:42 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I do believe that there is some digital gain available on the Aux out bus. If i remember correctly, when the aux out for a track is set to 0dB, ther is still another 6 or 12 (???) dB available. so make sure the Aux out send (virtual) slider is right up, and try to add some digital gain on the individual track sent to the bus. this will minimize the amount of analog gain needed at the input you have chosen to re-enter with the processed signal from you RNC.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 pm 
Dude

Thanks. Glad to hear I'm not crazy. I'm already sending the signal out pre-fader, so i guess I can experiment on how the tone is affected by boosting gain on the compressor vs boosting AW input gain.

Another option (for tracks where added color is desirable) would be to pass the outbound signal through a mic preamp prior to compressor. That's basically what I did a few days ago when I routed my drum and bass submix through my twinq, which is a rackmount dual channel strip- I didn't even use eq or compressor, but boosted the mic pre gain, really produced stellar results on the submix, tied everything together.

I'm now a true believer in mixing using my external gear more.