The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Using Mastering Library
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
Haven't used these before because of bad reports.

However, I usually remix my stereo tracks for MP3 by copying the ST track to a paired track then using the dynamics set at 1:1 and the required amount of gain to get them up to -2db, otherwise they don't cut it volume wise with the MP3 competition.

Today I tried the last step with the "VITALMIX" library and it turned out surprisingly well and added the required 4db. After I recode it to MP3, I'll be able to compare it to the previous version.

I ended up with the original St track on ST1 and the louder track on ST2 which I will use for the MP3. I'll let you know if this turns out to be a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 am 
Marker Magician

The mastering library are just sets of presets - setting DYN and EQ used on the stereo track - so once you recall the mastering libray you wish to try - check out both the DYN and EQ on the ST Track to observe what the numbers are. These can of course be tweeked at this point. The vital mix is fairly aggressive. Sounds as if you are mixing to fairly conservative levels it you are able to add 4 dB and still end up at -2 peaks.

Why this only for the mp3 versions? If you were to burn an AUDIO disc, right on the AW, I would be using this boosted version too.

I myself have often used the Dyn on the stereo track too. I prefer the ratio to be 1:1.7 ( or 1:1.5) with a very quick attack of, less than 7 ms and a quick return in the rang od 45 - 80 ms. With these settings on the ST Track I sometimes would mix, right from the start, rahter than waiting for a "mastering" pass after the mixing. Depends on what I intend to do with the mix. If the mix is being created with the intention of post production, as part of an album compilation, the "mastering gets left to the end, for side by side comparison. But if the process is quick and dirty, just for fun, I will include the "mastering" right in the mixing chain

You can also set the DYN with the aim to use it as a limiter - ratio 1:infinity , but I am not consistently pleased with this approach, using the AW's capabilities.

I now use the limiting capabilities of the Y96K card. Used gently, this squeezes that 1 to 5 dB boost quite transparently, with a brick wall upper . I used -0.3 for this setting. Lately i have tried using (gently) both the track limiter and the mastering limiter (called the L1 maximizer) in a chain, on the stereo track. Nothing sneaks past the upper limit. In front of these in the chain, a very gentle DeEsser, set at about 7 kHz is kind to the mix too.

The Y96K card is very useful indeed!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:58 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Late to the party, but thought I'd mention this anyway.

As Byron said, the mastering presets are just EQ/dynamics settings applied to the stereo bus. As with all other settings on these machines, the mastering settings will stay there until you change them. Thus, if you recall the vitalmix preset to mix one song, then move on to a different song, you will hear everything through that vitalmix preset. Take the time to turn off those EQ and dynamics settings on the stereo bus when you are done mixing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:01 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I generally find the mastering stuff leaves my sound tinty.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:48 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
Machine type: AW16G
I use the soft comp (I think that's what it's called) a lot, but always turn off or reset the eq to how I had it before calling up the dynamic. Soft comp seems to make just the right bit of difference to the mix a lot of the time. Kind of lifts things. Hard to explain.