The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: mixing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:18 pm 
Deleted the Demo - that's a good thing!

Favourite food: curry
Machine type: AW16G
Hey folks.

I've been missing for a bit to get my business north east gig recording up and running and we're good to go.
As I'm picking up quite a bit of work I need to start mixing some of it on the g. So I tried following the manual but it aint happening. for some reason when I play back the meters in the view, it don't show nothing! When I go through the process of send/return effects.....nothing.

This is prob for another part of the forum but I've syned 2 g's together for some work with great results. We started of with a very basic piece of wood with studs sticking out at the points of the record and play buttons of both machines you then simply press the centre of the wood and both machines start recording at the same time. I've just ordered a pedal that I'll link to both machines and let you know how that goes. (I hate MIDI)

Any help on the mix down and adding e.q and effects would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: mixing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:11 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Hi,
about your first question- I don't know if you are missing only meters or sound too? There could be several reasons, just tell us a little more about your problem... For basic mixing procedure search forum, I think there some very good directions...

About your sync with wooden stick (or pedal): It can work, but probably just for short lenght songs. Did U try this with longer recordings?
Sync is not just about Start on both machines, their clocks must be in sync too. That is why one is always master and other is slave. We need MIDI and Digital Audio sync at the same time.

http://forum.dijonstock.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7664

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:07 pm 

To set for recording I set - scene - initial data then have to turn the machine offf then on again to be able to monitor the sound.
Then set markers in between songs.
I then always export the wav files to computer to mix.
Until now and tried last night to mix on the g and although I get playback sound I couldn't add effects or see the meters in the view meters.
I tried the send return instructions in the manual but nothing.

As for the link you posted this is where I got the idea to sync in the first place though should I follow the midi instructions in the very 1st post??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:31 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
After recalling "Initial Data", run the red master fader down and up a couple of times. Initial Data mutes the sound until you do this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:32 pm 

Cheers hog. I set the machine up before I go to gigs so switching it on and of seems to do the same thing. Just working with recorded files that seems not to work

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:44 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
I have seen that behavior before. In this case it was because the man had pressed an input selector before playback and then the screen shows input signals. Try playing back something and press on one of the track channels (above the faders). Maybe this is your problem ?

clothdeejay wrote:
(I hate MIDI)

You shouldn't. Read about it. It's one of the best inventions ever and can work miracles for you.

What i find amazing is that after what, 30 years ? Midi still works. Stuff has been added but if i'm not mistaken it started as 1.0 and still remains unchanged untill this day. Are you listening programmers ? Hats off!

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:08 pm 

I don't really hate midi.
Has anyone got the syncing to work every time?? I'm too scared to try it incase I screw up a paid for recording!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:13 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I got it working in the studio, and later, on location, I didn't get it to work... :?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:36 pm 

I coudn't afford for it not to work. I'll be using it mainly in the studio.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:59 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I can imagine. I don't know what I did different on location. All I know is it took me 3 hours and then I decided to get rid of any kind of link. I pressed rec & play simultaneously on both machines and they were just a few milliseconds off. It would have been no problem if the difference would have been bigger, transferring 8 tracks from one machine to the other. I simply removed the milliseconds from one set of 8 tracks. The difference in speed was no problem either (they each use their own clock obviously). The recording lasted about one hour and I remember vaguely that I resynced removing just a few ms from one set of 8 tracks a couple of times. I would probably do it this way again (if no overdubbing is necessary).

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating