The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:35 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Using External Effect
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:35 pm 
City Slicker

So I have set up a stereo reverb unit as I wanted to have a go at using at trying some different effects during mix down, from the internal ones on the AW1600. I have followed the manual on page 175 and yes I can hear and record the reverb effect. My question is can you have the effect just isolated to say one specific channel, to record to the ST. For example I have used the aux knobs to only send the signal out from what I thought was track 8 (am I right according to the diagram, para 5, ) and yet with channel 7 Aux knobs turned right down I am still hearing the same reverb on that channel. In other words what I am trying to achieve is only some vocal tracks having the reverb and other tracks not in the final mix, confused.com again. I did try looking through previous posts btw.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Not quite clear on your set up yet.

The Aux 1 is set to send signal from Track 8. It goes as a mono signal to the outboard box, via one wire, where it is effected. then a signal is sent back from the verb box as a stereo return, via two wires. Those returns needs to go into 2 inputs on the AW. Those inputs can be made to feed the stereo channel and be included in the mix. This is all shown on the page 175, but You did not mention routing to inputs in your description of the situation Effected sound should be coming to those inputs, which are routed to the Stereo bus, as shown in diagram on 175 Is that your setup? Do you have one wire going to the box and then two returning from the box to the AW?

As the manual suggests, When you get it going as you want You may want to leave the send from your AUX to post-fader, and control the wet/dry ratio on the external box. Or switch to pre-fader send and set the box to 100% and then control the wet/dry by balancing the dry track 8 signal with the stereo return on the (two) inputs ( you can pair the inputs if desired )

If track 7 is being effected by the box, then of course signal from track 7 is being sent to the box. If you are sending two wires to the box, from AUX 1(L) and AUX 2 (R), that could explain why track 7 may be there ?? You need send only one wire out to achieve what you are looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:04 am 
City Slicker

Hi Byron, yes I have two wires going from stereo aux Outputs to both L and R inputs of the effect unit , then two wires out from the effect unit to inputs 3and 4 as per the manual. So I should only send one output?
Thanks for reply

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:01 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Look at the diagram on pg 175. It shows 1 out and two back. the one wire out is coming from AUX 1 (labelled L of the Stereo Out L/R) . So, if you have dialed down all but Tr. 8 on the Aux 1 bus, that is what is going to your box. If you also have a wire going from Aux 2 (St. Out R) then what ever is dialed up on that bus will go to the box also.

Your application needs but one wire, so leave the other out of the setup. Or dial up AUX 2 exactly as is AUX 1 and then both ins get the same signal.

Sometimes you may want to send a stereo signal to the box though. Say if you had a stereo mix of drum performance and wanted it verbed up a bit. Or a final mix being mastered in some way may wanting a verb wash ... etc.

Perhaps you know this already, but on much gear it is the L input or output that is often designated as "mono". (And wired to send a complete mono signal, which is important on a keyboard or guitar pedal being sent to a stage PA if the Front of House mix is to be Mono as it often is in modest setups.) On the AW though this L=mono caveat is not so, as AUX 1 and 2 are discreet when set up as buses, rather than as Stereo Out, which is the default position. But do check the ins on your box. When in doubt, always go Left for mono.