The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:46 pm 
Sodbuster

Machine type: AW1600
So using a USB Cable isn't dependent on the USB driver being installed just curious what the Driver is needed for?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:40 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Have you seen the video in the link below?

http://onlinesportbody.xyz/yamaha-aw1600-usb-47/

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:53 pm 
Sodbuster

No, I haven't. I will watch. Thanks Dirk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:55 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Yes that is it dirk.

Two midi cable can be attached to Aw. they have round, multi pin plugs. and their purpose is to send receive midi signal for the purpose of master/slave operational control. this is confusingly called Transport control.

You are also able to connect an AW to a computer via USB for data transfer. the one male end of required cable is squarish and is inserted into AW. the other end is also male, but is a flat plug that is inserted into USB port on PC. No mystery >>> this is a standard cable used to link printers etc. You must have one laying around I'd suspect!!

If this whole discussion has been predicated on you not using this proper cable then the confusion is understandable.

Once so connected you should see two partitions in your Computer window. The second one contains the transport folder. It is confusing that this folder has the name transport, because in this instance it really means Transfer Folder. Send stuff to this folder that you wish to name for identification and placement in other application or in archival storage on your PC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:52 pm 
Sodbuster

I watched the Video Dirk mentioned. At about 7 minutes into the video he talks about installing the USB Midi Driver, which in his case he already had installed. If I understand what you both are saying, it's not required so, I guess I'm confused.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 pm 

In his case it works so i would follow his steps. The only thing that matters is you get it going. If you can install the driver do it. If not try skipping that step.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:00 am 
Sodbuster

Ok, I'm at my gig but will try it tomorrow without the USB Driver first because the issue I mentioned I've had is the driver won't install on my 8.1 windows computer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:11 am 
Sodbuster

Ok, I connected the USB Cable, square plug end, to AW, other USB end to Computer, it immediately, supposedly, began recognizing the AW by running a slow green bar prompt saying it could take several minutes. However, it took several seconds and promptly disappeared from the screen. Nothing was visible regarding the two Folders, one being the Transport/Transfer Folder. Are there more steps I need to take to make them come up?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:18 am 
Sodbuster

Scratch my previous post, I used some logic and went to Utility Tab and went to USB to further connect. Should have done before posting, now see the two folders.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:21 am 
Sodbuster

Inside Transport Folder, showing only two of approximately 12 Songs. Why is that?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:28 am 

Now i think you need to export the songs you want.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:50 pm 
Marker Magician

brs wrote:
Inside Transport Folder, showing only two of approximately 12 Songs. Why is that?

Sounds as if you are actually in a Song Folder. Once connected via USB go to to "Computer". On my win 7 machine this is found by in a menu that appears when you click on the windows Icon in lower left. You prob know about this menu, as it is where you access All Programs, Search,Control Panel Etc. It used to be "My Computer" in XP, appearing on the desktop in that OS.

Once there, there are two icons for the AW. Both contain a Song folder. New projects are randomly assigned to one or the other. that is why there are only 2 song. Open the other Song Folder in the other partition and the other 10 will be in there. BUT -- these are not what you are looking for. What you want is in the second of the two AW folders.. It is actually called Transport. Open that --- it should be empty, as it contains only files (tracks) that you PURPOSELY put there. You do that placement through the EDIT menu, specifying the tr #, virtual #, and the start--end times of the desired data. You get a chance to name the files you pit in the Transport.

The same data is contained within the Song Folder, but the wav files within are named with numbers, by the AW. I have mention this before. There is no way of determining which is which whilst within the Song folder.

So, to repeat, open your Song (project) determine what track(s) you want out of the AW, use EDIT menu to Export said tracks to TRansport Folder, connect via USB, open second AW partition, open Transport Folder, Drag and drop onto computer or open the wavs within the transport folder for a listen.

When connect like this your AW is a large peripheral storage device like a camera or USB stick.

You will need to use this procedure, accessing the two partitions, to archive important projects. If you drag a complete Song from the Song Folder, to your computer HD or another storage drive running as a peripheral, then a copy will be place there ( the archive). This can be dropped back in to a Song folder when needed to reconstitute a project previously deleted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:53 am 
Sodbuster

Hello Byron and or Dirk. Long time since posting due to "other" interruptions that seem to take time. However, wanted to let you know, thanks to you, I have been successful with the procedure you detailed in the previous posts.
I have transported a good number of my song tracks to my computer and now want to get to the next step or area which is: being able to further edit the wav files preferably on my Kronos or Audacity or other software.
Again, because my understanding of file data, wav, Mp3, or whatever else being less than I prefer, I want to first ask if wav file data can be converted to a data form that is editable?

I know a wav file is Audio but I'm assuming it's not editable outside of the AW, But, I guess I should ask here: is the AW limited in its ability to edit? Ultimately, I would like to be able to edit the AW tracks on my Kronos.

Currently, I'm in the process attempting to transfer some of the AW wav's to the Kronos but hung up in one of the manual steps. However, want be able to go in and erase or replace an incorrect note or even add other tracks using the Kronos' sounds etc. This is what I want do to these AW 1600 wav tracks if possible. Look fwd to your reply. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:53 pm 

Hi B,

Good news. In the end that’s why we do it.

Editing Wav files depends on what you played. In midi files each note is a separate piece of data, even more, it’s start, end and volume are all separate information, whereas a Wav file is a single piece of information. If you played the faulty notes stacato and there is no echo or reverb on that track, you may be able to delete that part and relace it. If we are talking legato (one note flowing into the next) you will always hear the edit unless you use something like melodyne thta can change pitch and lentgh on sound files like voice takes or any other instrument.

Greetings.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:49 pm 
Sodbuster

Dirk, thank you. This is important information to me personally as you made something much more clear that, admittedly, I didn't have full grasp of. Midi data is what I then must have is essence, to accomplish what I want to accomplish. Logically, my next question is: can Wav data be converted to Midi data. Both you and Byron are a tremendous help and resource as I truly need fundamental info such as this. Great help. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:08 pm 
Marker Magician

brs wrote:
can Wav data be converted to Midi data.

No.

If I am wrong I would like to be educated, but .... I am going to stick with No.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 am 

Well, actually Byron, yes.

You can. With the right software that can recognize frequencies and events (changes in pitch and volume). It may still be a little hit and miss and i have not tried it but let's not forget that a guitar tuning device does exactly that with the exception it does not write the data to file. Try out following link and see what happens. Mind you, you would loose all sound data and only get note data back.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... av-to-midi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:27 pm 
Sodbuster

Thanks again.
Actually, I did a search yesterday, (which I suppose I should have done prior to my post), and found the same Techwalla article. This is all a great learning experience for me, thanks to you both.

However, it seems to me, and let me know if I'm incorrect on this, that if the AW or any other "wav, audio" based recording system, doesn't also record midi, why would anyone not simply opt to use a recording system such as the Korg Kronos, which is capable of recording both in Midi and Audio, wav.

I guess, what I'm trying to learn here is what would be the advantage to choosing a "non-midi data" system such as the AW, why not choose something with both options?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:26 pm 
Marker Magician

brs wrote:
Thanks again.
Actually, I did a search yesterday, (which I suppose I should have done prior to my post), and found the same Techwalla article. This is all a great learning experience for me, thanks to you both.

However, it seems to me, and let me know if I'm incorrect on this, that if the AW or any other "wav, audio" based recording system, doesn't also record midi, why would anyone not simply opt to use a recording system such as the Korg Kronos, which is capable of recording both in Midi and Audio, wav.

I guess, what I'm trying to learn here is what would be the advantage to choosing a "non-midi data" system such as the AW, why not choose something with both options?

$$$

Not all people want or need midi. But the demise of the stand alone system such as the AW series may be indicative of such a change in demand for recording devices offering midi capabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:03 pm 
Marker Magician

Thanks Dirk. I am going to look into this further. Starting a project with a fellow and we were just talking about how to increase our midi inputs .

Focusrite>Mac>protools. The Focusrite has 8 analogue and two mid inputs.

Should (might) be able to increase midi inputs Midi interface via USB> same Mac > same protools. Protools should be able to see both the Focusrite and the USB midi interface?? I am a newb at midi stuff and my protools experience is enough to know what is going on on each strip and how to tweak plugins , but the patching and signal routing requires some guidance at this point. Fortunately the fellow whom I am helping is the opposite. He knows the navigation but is unclear about the capabilities of the strips (gain structure, signal chain, plugin tweaking etc.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next