The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:13 pm 
Greenhorn

Hi all

I haven't been around the forum for a long time. I hope you are all well and had a really good Christmas/New Year break.

I have to come out with it and confess to feeling a bit guilty as I am pretty much about to say goodbye to my trusty AW1600, as I have just bought some new gear and will be fundamentally changing my studio set-up from now on!

I have had my AW1600 for nearly 10 years now and it has been like a close friend!! I have loved every minute of using it and we have made so many recordings together that I'm really proud of. It has served me so well, but the time has come for me to move on an change the way I record.

My wife and I moved to a different house a year ago (which happened to have a well built large workshop in the garden!!! What a coincidence ;-)), so after a lot of work and money, I am now lucky enough to have a soundproofed recording studio in my garden all to myself! After a lot of research and planning (and several years saving up the money!!!!) I have just bought myself an Allen and Heath QU32 digital desk, which I will be using with an iMac and Logic Pro X. I just spent the last two days plugging it all in, setting it up and turning it on. I have to say that I am pretty daunted....in fact...terrified!!! I haven't really got a clue where to start!! This is my first experience of using a computer/DAW so the learning curve is going to be massive. I know the potential of the new setup will be fantastic, but at the moment, I feel like I am at the start of a very, very long journey. I'm clueless and it's going to be ages before I can record anything decent. Just like I was 10 years ago with my AW1600 I guess. At that time, it was finding this forum, and getting the fantastic advice from all you guys that saved me from pulling my hair out!!

I won't be getting rid of my AW1600 completely though, as I will still keep it for the times when I want to go and record something on location somewhere. And one of my first jobs when I've worked out the basics of Logic will be to transfer a whole load of part finished sessions across from the AW1600 - my band are about a third of the way through an album.

So, there it is. As I said, I feel like a bit of a traitor ;-) . I hope you will still let me pop in to the forum as an honourary member now and then though? I have to say that the expert advice I have got from some of you guys on many different topics over the years has been amazing! I will always be very grateful!!

All the best and cheers :-)

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:44 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Don't blame you one bit. Yamaha bolted from the DAW world. There's no support, no add ons, no future. As long as my recorder works, I'll keep it. Otherwise I will consider your new route. Sounds like quite a learning curve, but one you should enjoy along the way. Hope you will post a bunch of photos of the new room and gear. Let's see it!!

Have fun.
Ron

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:45 pm 
Marker Magician

Of course you can always pop in here. I plan, like Ron, to stick with the AW for a bit, as It suits my needs well. I like the knobs and faders!!.. You too will have real items to twist and slide with the A&H desk as a control surface!! You will be amazed at how transferable your AW experience will be on the software side too.

Probably one of the biggest jumps will be on the Hardware side, learning the character and colouring of the A&H preamps and the EQ potential. You will have a few other aspects that us 2400 users enjoy that 1600 users do not have. One of the main ones, IMHO, is the capacity to add digital gain to individual tracks at the mixing stage, if appropriate, at the head of the chain. The 1600 will let you cut gain on individual tracks, but not boost gain. Small boosts are helpful in establishing balanced levels, with all faders operating in the zone near Unity. Helpful if a track has been recorded recorded at too low levels, or if it is thin and being processed through a compressor or slammed through a limiter

Having many more tracks at 24 bit will be helpful too. The world of plugins will also be available. That can be overwhelming. But again, if you have developed your workflow on the AW to include the tweaking of EFF and DYN settings, rather than relying on the presets, then you will be away to the races with transferable skills. Good luck with it all.

On a slightly different note I am going to send you a PM relating to some messaging we did some months ago.

Stay in touch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:54 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
I know exactly where your coming from having done the same a few years back.
Everything always looks a little daunting at the start but like everything else once you get over that stage you wondered what took you so long to change.
Although I had the AW1600 when I converted to using Studio One and Pro Tools, I then took a step backwards and sold the AW1600 for an older machine,the AW4416, solely for the extra faders, I`ve never actually recorded anything onto it, I use it as a control surface only, the only annoying thing I found was it was a lot noisier than the AW1600, after research it turns out it was the fan that keeps the cd burner cool, so as I don`t use it, it was just a case of pulling the plug out of the cd drive, now it`s spot on.
As Byron said there will be a learning curve with your software, routing of tracks, fader send to fx, and assigning tracks to busses, but you`ll get there.
The Allen & Heath QU32 is an excellent piece of kit that I toyed with getting a while back but decided I`m fine for the time being.
Trust me one of the most important aspects of recording into a pc or laptop is the converters in the interface, and the desk you`ve invested in has high quality conversion specs, you`ve acquired a top notch desk matey, enjoy.
Good luck with what your doing Alex.

T.

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GETYJUJKu0

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 pm 
Greenhorn

Thanks all! I'll continue hanging around then :-)

Yeah - I know the learning curve is going to be pretty steep, but I'm sure it will be lots of fun like you say.

Just fiddling around with the desk yesterday it struck me how much potential there will be. I was also blown away by messing around with Logic for a couple of hours. The programmable drums look (and sound) amazing!!! So many different kits and patterns etc. Which can all be customised. Also, it looks like Logic has some fantastic features in terms of vintage keyboard options which really appeals to me.....Hammond B3, Wurlitzer, Rhodes type electric pianos etc. Can't wait to get stuck in.

I'll try and sort out a photobucket(or similar) account so that I can share some photos of my new recording space.

Cheers all.
Alex

Ps - Byron - I look forward to your PM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:49 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Alex, good to see you back.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:52 am 
Greenhorn

Hi Robbie. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:27 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Here's video's:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:02 am 
Greenhorn

Thanks RZ!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:24 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
Movin' on is ok...there's a time for everything you know... :wink:
A couple of years ago I decided to take the plunge into the world of DAW, and honestly, I haven't looked back. I didn't come from a world of faders and aux bus' an inserts etc., so the learning curve was daunting at the beginning, but in hindsight, I wished I would have done it sooner...

Still got the AW16G--- it looks cool in the studio so I keep it around :roll:

Good luck with your new projects--- you can always post the demos here.

Salud!