The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Show Us Your Studio!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:36 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
I can't find the delete button!!!

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

Last edited by Beerosaur on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Show your studio!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:39 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Beero,

The pics are mighty big, and in that case it helps to use the resizeimg tag that I made. The syntax is
Code:
[resizeimg=percentage]url to pic[/resizeimg]

The percentage is the percentage of width that is available on screen, so it adjusts to the size of the browser screen that you're watching it in.

Below I quoted your post with the only difference being the resizeimg tag being used.

Beerosaur wrote:
Hi all,
I thought it would be cool to see each others recording spaces. Robbie said to go for it, so I'll go first... It doesn't seem to fit in any of our categories to well though, maybe we need a new one Rob? All my stuff sits in a basic little bedroom. Over the years I've come to arrange it where it works for me and sounds pretty decent. If you decide to join my little studio adventure, talk a little about your stuff, what you like...what sucks...back stories...whatever might be of interest.

Picture 1

Notable Items in this picture, bottom right by the blue glow, is my PC, custom built just for this. Solid State HD and lots of others.
The table is from IKEA. Look at the cool little shelves that rotate, SWEET score!
Up on the shelf are all my manuals, and if you look hard you'll see one of those ART tube preamps laying up there.
Dual Monitors. That's Love Lock on there from Planet Cool...many many tracks...
On top of the right monitor is a JoeMeek 3q preamp/comp/eq. It's working killer on bass. Hit or miss on vocals... works for me, not for Kim.
Yamaha HS80 Monitors
KRK 10in sub under the desk.
Digi003 and Protools.

Pic 2

This desk was made for me by a friend. Works great!
Here you see my Yamaha mixer. It's pretty much a paper weight. I used to run through it, but took it out of the loop.
A patch bay, the first 8 connect to the back of the Digi003, and the second 8 connect to the ADAT you see on the top. From the ADAT those tracks get light piped to the Digi003 for 16 simultaneous recording channels. $50!
There's a headphone amp, a compressor, a bad reverb (used as comfort verb to singers).
And of course the Line 6 Pod, which I use for rough tracks usually, then re record with amps and mics.
The pod stays plugged into the patch bay, so I just plug in a guitar and go!

Pic 3

My lovely band that I love so much...Yamaha XS7 It also stays plugged into the patch bay. It midi's to Digi003 also.

Pic 4

The vocal booth... LOL This divider came from a school getting rid of stuff. $0 Sweet! It works great to stop the room bounces from hitting the back of the mic. I also have one of those sound baffle things that attaches to the mic stand and kind of surrounds your face. I get pretty quiet results. The occassional car sucks...

That's my Blue Bluebird mic, and Kims Shure Super 55. Those Shures are very warm. Kim was given two of them by Shure as part of her sponsorship...grrrrr!!! I cannot say enough about the Bluebird... it's great. I use it for everything. No coloring so don't expect your voice to sound like an announcer through it..LOL, just you.

Pic 5

The Roland TD9s. Super cool to have when friends come over. I'm not very good at them at all. I usually program the drums on my keys. With a real drummer on them they rock! Record super clean, with no fuss. Theyre connected to the patch bay, and also via midi to the Digi003

Pic 6
The amp pile...

I have no room for the amps, so they stay on top of each other balancing precariously most of the time. The blue amp is a Kustom Wav212. Used to be a 4 figure amp, they're dirt cheap now used. Worth checking out if you're looking. Solid state rhythm channel is super clean, lead channel is tube. Has effects and crap built into it... The snakeskin amp is my Union Jack Maddog. This amp was built to my specs and is the only one in the world. I freaking love it!! It pretty much just does clean. Class A, Point to Point yumminess. Under those two is a Hartke keyboard amp. I mainly use this for the TD9s so the drummer can feel his kick. In the corner is a GK bass amp. This sometimes is my live keyboard monitor, sometimes its just a bass amp for someone in the studio. Bass player goes in a direct box which goes to this amp and the patch bay for protools. The tiny little mic is a JoeMeek condensor mic. It's a strange little mic, works great for acoustic guitars, but it's new and I'm still learning it.

Pic 7
My bitches....
An Esteve classical..middle of the road, nothing expensive, but it records great. A cheap Ibanez bass.... My first real guitar is the yellow RG550, Looove it!!! There's a crappy acoustic in the corner. It totally blows. Somewhere in the pile of cases is a White Mexican Strat which is really pretty and gets it done just fine. And of course, by very beloved Gibson ES550. That guitar cured me of ever wanting to buy another guitar. It does everything. If you had just one guitar, that would be the one! It's my second 550. During my divorce I had to sell my first one to be able to afford a Christmas. I had wanted one for so long, that I literally had tears in my eyes driving home from the exchange. I promised myself I would get another one one day. A few years later I got hired at my current airline and it was the first thing I did. It doesn't sound quite as good as the first one for some reason, but certainly good enough! In the brown case, is Kims delicious gazillion dollar Taylor. She got that free too....grrrrrrr!!!!! It looks like I spent a ton on these things, but they've just accumulated over 30 years so it was rather painless. The 550 was big bucks, but the rest of them aren't. You really don't need super expensive stuff, they all work, except for my acoustic. It's a POS.

Pic 8
The most important part..
The girlfriend/wife couch. A place for the ladies to sip their wine while the boys take care of business!!! This was my first piece of furniture when I got divorced 8 years ago. I slept on that POS for months!!! The floor before that! Rough times...
You can't see it but underneath it is where my AW1600 has lived for yearsss!!! I swear I've used it like 3 times and then it's been under this couch. I bet I have the newest one on the planet!

Pic 9
The mics....

These are some things that have piled up over the years. There's nothing really special here, but those Sennheiser dynamics are pretty damn nice for $100. They easily hang with Shure Beta58s and have their own character. I might like them better...not totally sure though. They sound better than regular Shure 57's and 58's in my opinion. The black condensor is my first real mic. It's chinese and cost me $75. It was my only mic for many years and served me well. That blue thing is an AKG Perception. It was on sale and I wanted something to park in front of the guitar amps and just leave there instead of moving the Blue around. The little JoeMeek works better, so now it just sits around. It's just OK, nothing special. It has it's own sound, but not great, not bad. Just a mic.

That's it, hope you enjoyed the tour of GoodMojo Studios! Let's see yours!
Boy that was way more work than I anticipated! hahaha, you guys are totally worth it though :)

-= Beer

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:10 am 
Former Computer Geek

THANK YOU! LOL, I couldn't figure that out...it's just how they came off my camera. I didn't even know that option was available! Now I can't delete the others! ...hahaha Can you get rid of them for me Robbie? They're horrible...

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:13 am 
Former Computer Geek

I just realized I confused the model numbers on my guitars... the yellow guitar is an RG550, the Gibson is an ES355...sorry about that...too many numbers.

-= Beer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Beerosaur wrote:
I can't find the delete button!!!

You did what you could!

Beerosaur wrote:
...sorry about that...too many numbers

Ehhh... and you fly 100 million dollar planes?? :wink:

Post subject: Re: Show Us Your Studio!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:26 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Wow nice set up Ivan, if I get the time today I think I`ll take some pics of my space.

T.

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GETYJUJKu0

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:25 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Beer, if you use tinypic.com you can resize your pictures during download. In that case you don't need to remember Robbies tag. Both option are good but resizing during or before download saves space on the image server.

I have allready shown most of my stuff here i think. Not sure if i should repost my setup.

Btw i think i would have fun visiting your studio.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 pm 
Former Computer Geek

Repost your stuff for sure! Maybe the thread will stick around dedicated to this. Tell us about your place and what's special and why...etc. I think it'll be a great thread! It's a small room, but I can have a whole band up there hanging and recording so it suits my needs right now. I just wish I had space for all the crap like amps and guitars...they take up a lot of the room. You guys are welcome to come hang at the GoodMojo anytime!

I can figure out how to take em smaller on my camera I guess. I didn't realize how big they were until it was too late, then my delete button was MIA. Seems sometimes it's there (the delete checkbox on a posting edit) and sometimes not. What am I missing?

=- Beer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 pm 
Ranch Hand

I would`nt mind having another browse round your set up Dirk.
Personally I`d like to see everyone`s set up, it`s always interesting to see how other people work, I`m definitely going to put my rig up as soon as I take the pics.

Ivan I see we use the same axe, I have the Ibanez RG55OEX, really nice for fast neck work, though my favourite is my strat cos` it`s suits my style more.
Actually I`ve just put a new maple neck on the strat and I`m just getting it bedded in before it goes back to work, so I`ve been using the Ibanez a little more than usual.
Enjoy the rest of your night guy`s.

T.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 pm 
Ranch Hand

Took a few pics of my set up.

The best things I ever bought, bass traps in the corners behind the Alesis Monitor One Actives.

Full frontal.

On the right side, my Pod XT Live, Focusrite Twintrak Pro Pre-Amp, and a Voiceworks which I have for the weekend to see if I have a use for it, if it`s any good I`ll buy it.

On the left side I use a Yamaha DGX 500, the six track sequencer on this is the dogs bollocks, and underneath the Marshall Master Lead Combo I acquired a few weeks back and in the middle of restoring, up to now I`ve only replaced all the pots and input jacks, but it`s still early days, I suppose what`s putting me off is it`s got a really good sound due to it`s two Celestion Greenback speakers, so I think what`s the point on wasting my recording time. lol.

I only use one mic, cos` I only need one mic, and this Rode NT-1a does the job just fine.

Now were getting to the nitty gritty !!

My Strat with the new maple neck fitted, love it, love it, love it.

My Ibanez RG550EX with I swear the fastest neck on the planet !!!

On the Bass front I use an active double octave Parkson Bass with the original Parkson soapbar pick-up, was thinking of getting a bass with a shorter scale neck as this feels huge when strapped on.

My beloved Takamine acoustic, bought it a few years back because it just felt right, sometimes a guitar just does.

Aaahh...My Hudson Resonator, if this was a woman I would marry it, not only feels right but looks beautiful based on the infamous National `o`with the engraved beach surfers scene over the front and back, it weighs a ton being all metal body but rings like a bell...eh..wedding bell. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:07 pm 
Former Computer Geek

Sweet pics!
Oooh, I need those bass traps. I just get scared everytime I look at the prices! Strat looks awesome and the RG, fugget about it!!! Lightning!! It's my favorite neck by far, I'd put it on everything if I could.

I definately think we should all look and learn from each others. I'm learning I have to clean up my crap from yours! So tidy!
Tell more about the Twintrak and Voiceworks...I'd like to hear about them.

-= Beer

Ps. You vacuum in there? Jeees, pressure is on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Beero, making the images smaller is a good thing to do, not for space but for bandwidth. And if for any reason there's no solution for that, the resizimg tag is in the list at the top of every post editing screen! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:32 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:14 am 
Former Computer Geek

Robbie, I didn't mean to post em that big I swear! LOL

DAng RZ!!! Quite a stable...what's in em?

T, what did you notice when you installed the bass traps?

-= Beer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:41 am 
Ranch Hand

Yeah I`d like to know what`s in those cases too Ron.

I`ve seen pics of Ron`s studio before I think, a space I wish I had for sure.

Beer...the Focusrite is an excellent pre-amp, with built in compressor and lower frequency roll off, I have my desk going into it through the digi in, vocals and guitars through it, clean as a whistle.
A far as the Voiceworks, I only have it for this weekend to try it out so there`s not much I can say as yet.

As for the Bass traps...I`ve said on a number of occasions on the forum that these are the least things anyone should have in their studio, just to be able to hear and judge the bass properly in a track is a must.
The difference I noticed was the sound, what I am hearing now from the monitors is what is on the final cd.
Read any comments on the net about home recording and it will say bass traps are an essential part of any home studio.
Also not having to run to the car to try it in the stereo, or to try it on the home stereo just to check if the bass is too quiet or too loud is a good thing as I`m not as young as I was :wink:

T.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
RE: Voiceworks. I find it works well for harmonies when mixed in with real vocal harmonies - kind of building on harmonies already recorded. Nice reverb on it. Never got the hang of the compressor though. Lead vox pitch correction is not very good IMHO. Too noticable. Maybe it's just me. It's good if you want to sound like a robot, and for weird effects, however. Worst thing is the small display - and it's a little on the fiddly side.

I'll see about taking some pics. Not cleaning, though. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:53 pm 
Ranch Hand

I agree with CDA regarding the Voiceworks, I`ve been trying it out all morning and can hear other stuff that it seems to be doing to the signal, with no reverb and no other effects it still sounds like it is being put through a room reverb, a convolution type thingy that is annoying to me, sounds good for thickening the lead vocal and sounds really good if just using for one harmony, but any more than that it just sounds too gimmicky and like CDA said a robot.
Definitely not for me so taking it back Monday morning.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:26 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
T.Mac - when I put a recorded lead vocal through the Voiceworks it sounds doubled up, and I have to mute the lead and just have the affected lead come back out of it. I think it's called Lead Mute on/off or something. That might be what you're hearing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:17 pm 
Ranch Hand

I`ll give that a go, thanks.

T.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:00 pm 
Ranch Hand

CDA turning the lead vocal setting to off makes a big difference thanks.

T.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next