The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Studio underway!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:56 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: lucky charms
Machine type: AW16G
Mr. Bill wrote:
As a fan of cable management (read anal retentive) I'm really glad Ive gone with a drop ceiling and have left access behind the drywall for cable runs. In particular mic cables, CAT5 wiring and a special Lava lamp run. I've also run countless cables through the ceiling to other areas of the house. Just my 2 cent's worth

BC

I hear ya. I saw a pic on the net of some sort of black curtain, run the entire length of the wall, but only half way up. Hid everything and actually really looked sweet. I think that's the route I'll take for most of the cables. As long as they're not where I can trip over them, I'm happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:05 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
A cable idea I had was to install hooks in the ceiling joists thru the drywall so I can drape cables across the room out of the way. The hooks I used were the ones you hand swag lamp chain from. Cheap , color matched to the ceiling , and easy come studio rewire day. I hate cables on the floor.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:28 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi,

I but carpets on 2 walls for room treatment. Screwed some wooden strips on the walls to fix the carpets. The last wooden strip I screwed on the wall 15 cm higher than the ground, so I can hide a lot of cables unseen under the carpet here and always can change the cables.

Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:32 pm 
Tinhorn

Blackbeer wrote:
Hi,

I but carpets on 2 walls for room treatment. Screwed some wooden strips on the walls to fix the carpets. The last wooden strip I screwed on the wall 15 cm higher than the ground, so I can hide a lot of cables unseen under the carpet here and always can change the cables.

Andreas

that's an excellent idea..easy access. I was stuck on the thought of just hiding them, never once occured to me I may need to get at them.. #-o wow..

thanks Andreas!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:41 pm 
Tinhorn

Framing inspection COMPLETE! =D> =D> =D>

Electrical manana..they were quick! I was told up to 3 days notice...then again, not like they have a lot of inspecting to do lately.

Time to gas up the van and head to the Corporate Supplier of Domestic Building Materials store.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:08 pm 
Mr. Blues

bhmann wrote:
that's an excellent idea..easy access. I was stuck on the thought of just hiding them, never once occured to me I may need to get at them.. #-o wow..

thanks Andreas!

Just one more thing. Carpets on walls are damping the highs a little bit. To cover all the walls with carpets is not good , you will get a dead room. Make sure to cover 2 walls that are side by side. That will dampen too much reflections in the highs. I use my studio as a bands rehersals room. This way no feedback problems!

Drumkit is build on a podest with a lot of little stands under it made of foam to dampen the impact noise. Also a great place to hide the cables!

Enjoy the progress of building your studio. It is like a dream to have one for your own, trust me!

Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31 am 
Tinhorn

woohoo!! Electrical inspection complete!

insulation day tomorrow...should be fun... :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:16 pm 
Tinhorn

well, the last week and a half has flown by. yesterday, my buddy helped me with the upper half of the drywall, at least in the studio area. It's a slow process...especially since he and I spend more time chit chattin than workin.

Anyway, felt a really severe pull in my back yesterday, while trying to get 8x4 sheets of drywall down a 180degree staircase..um, without damagin the corners.. [-X

Woke this morning as stiff as a board. Popped a couple aspirins, ate, and like an idiot, headed back to the home improvement store.

Just got done moving 13 sheets downstairs. I think I'm cooked for the day. I have to work 4pm to midnight tonight, hopefully it'll be uneventful...so I can save the energy to dig out of the 8" of snow expected overnight... :lol:

a couple pics so you can see I'm truly tryin to get this done...what a frickin undertaking this is!!

my helper...what a great friend!
and of course the area yet to be done...ugh!

wish I had more time to chat on the forum..but it seems like every free minute is spent with my daughter or down here tryin to make progress. whew..

y'all take care...

bh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:18 pm 
Mr. Blues

Hi bhman,

great progress with your work. Seems to become a great studio, when ready.

Let us know, whats going on
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:55 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Looking great. It's important to have a good help, it's of great value.

8)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Hang in there, bh. Lookin' good. It is a big project, but you can't ignore your daughter. All good things take time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
That thing looks huge. Drywall city. =D>

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:20 am 
Tinhorn

mrskygod wrote:
That thing looks huge. Drywall city. =D>

MSG,
I wish I had all the space in the basement, but in reality it'll only be about 12'x13', but with lots of room to move. I figure a couple of bar stools for the strummin sessions is really the only furniture I need...less my cool new chair that I've yet to budget for. #-o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:54 am 
Mr. Blues

Hi,

bar stools are essential for rehersals for my senior bandmates :mrgreen: .
Everybody has his own bar stool in my studio ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:52 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Lot of work, but the end result will be worth the time and effort.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:47 pm 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
Bh, it may seem like you're just nipping at it with real life and all getting in the way, but its moving right along. You just have your hand almost in the cookie jar and it's torturing you! LOL... I think you're making fine progress and boy will it be cool for years and years to have your little music cave. Wish I had one like that even if it took two years to build it!

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:17 pm 
Tinhorn

the latest..

I'm tired. been pushin it..seeing progress makes me want it more. keep tryin to sit and enjoy a little playin time, then I look at the tools, and stuff I could be doin...and I'm back at it.

buddy over again on Tuesday, drywalled the stairwell..what a fun experience that was. haven't worked with my arms over my head in a long time..man, the burn! a couple small pieces tomorrow (or is it today?? I don't know anymore), and a cleanup of all the scrap stuff..then it's spackle time. finally. lookin at paint, sort of a dark beige color, maybe. going to really try and do a good job on the spackle, should be interesting. :shock:

Drew up plans the other day for a nice little rack unit on casters, with angled top for the 16G. Nothing special, like space for 4 pieces, and a little pull out table for my GT8 unit. My desk, with PC and Juno G, is on casters as well, so I'll be able to move everything very easily should I want to change the layout if we get a room full. Attatch power strips to the desk and cabinet and I'm all set.

OH!! ALMOST FORGOT!!

My good friend and I have worked out a payment plan... the Roland TD6 Kit is COMING BACK FOR GOOD!!!! I had given it back to him as I had no room with the pending construction. I asked about them, he's still got'em and told me however I can get $300 to him, they're MINE!! Can't wait!!!!

headin home in a bit.. it's 8F degrees outside, beer is in the garage..at about 35F. :lol:

ya'll take care..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:14 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Progress is good. Drums are good. Sounds like it's all good. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:55 pm 
Tinhorn

time goes so fast...been working overnights the last two weeks and I can honestly say, I am NOT a night owl. I have ZERO energy when it comes to workin on this, especially when I get up in the afternoon (4pm?) and my wife and daughter arrive home..and I'd much rather enjoy time with them than go downstairs and sweat... well, most of the time.. :roll: :wink:

Soooo...I took 12 days off work. It started at 08:00am when I got home Friday...then I got a call at 11:30 last night because someone called off, and I NEVER say no to OT..so, at 4am this morning I started a 12hr shift. Got about 3hrs sleep total.
Kinda grumpy, to say the least...but VERY thankful and appreciative that I had the opportunity to get some extra dough.

Anyway, my good friend is coming by on Tues and Wed so I'll get back on track. Drywall is 98% up, 1st coat of mud is applied and sanded. Should be fairly easy from here on out. Hope to have paint on the walls before I go back to work.

I've done some shopping, all used gear of course, but new to me!!

Went with a M-audio Delta 66 PCI / Omni Breakout box. This will hopefully play nicey nice with the FREE pc I got from work, and they "say" it works well with Sonar. Older technology for sure, but so's the computer.. :? I know I have a Pentium 2.2 in there, should be enough to handle it.

Have a 4X4 MIDI box, and the Roland drum, synth, and Boss GT8 effects parameters will controlled this way on the PC screen, then either MIDI or L/R audio to the Omni box, then to the PC or into the Yamaha...just to have an option for recording tracks.

Picked up a nice 4 space rack in Poplar, stained in Cherry which will house the Presonus Preamp, and the 4ch headphone amp...and a power conditioner and, well, spot 4 is open to suggestions. I was thinking a BBE maximizer, but I'm honestly not sure if I need one...and I'm having a tough time understanding what one actually does. I guess I need to HEAR it.

The rack stuff is right in front of me, at eye level on my desk, with the Yamaha 16G right below it. Tried to make everything as compact as I could, while still making it easy to change configurations when needed. I think I did pretty good.

I haven't even been able to mess with anything lately...it's all been stored away to escape the drywall dust. I miss it terribly.

I did, however, pick up an attachment for my shop-vac that gets the drywall dust as you're sanding...MAN, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

hope y'all are well...miss readin the posts and drivel that makes Dijonstock one of the best out there. though I did catch MSG's barstool sprint racer...HOLY CRAP!! Be careful Geno! Keep it under a'hundred! :P

is it 4 yet????

Post subject: Studio underway!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:51 pm 
The General

bhmann wrote:
I was thinking a BBE maximizer, but I'm honestly not sure if I need one...and I'm having a tough time understanding what one actually does. I guess I need to HEAR it.

BH, this is one device that will trick you into thinking it is a "magic button".....until your ears are totally fatigued. You'll go back and listen to what you've done the next day and say "what the heck was I doing". I've used both the hardware and the software version.

Every once in a while you can find a part that needs to shine through and you can't fix it with EQ, sometimes the BBE will help but mostly it is a "suck button". Money can be better spent.

Gary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next