The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:14 pm 
Cowhand

OK guys, just typed this up for the fun of it, I may update it in the future .... Feel free to contribute your tips as well.

TUTORIAL - USING EQ LIBRARIES on the AW16G

written by more paul: 2-21-06

01. EQ LIBRARIES.
A-Creating Your Own Custom Preset EQ.
B-Specialized Application EQ's.
C-Preset EQ Settings.
D-STtoring and Recalling EQ Settings.

note: remember when working with eq that your ears can become fatigued quickly. You can also become accustomed to strange eq
settings where they will start to sound normal.... take breaks often.....Come back the next day and listen to what you did.

01. EQ LIBRARIES:

A- CREATING YOUR OWN CUSTOM PRESET EQ
-----------------------------

One thing I do with the EQ libraries is setup different types of EQ templates that I can call up to any of my various
tracks. I find that I dont really like the default frequencies that the G's EQ is set to. Ive gotten really used to the
soundcraft mixer Ive been working on for the last almost 6 years and have found the eq sweetspots I really like. I just setup
an EQ that has all my key frequencies and the bandwidth tweeks in place, But is still FLAT. I name this setting "MaqicEQ" and
store it to the EQ LIBRARY. Now it is ready to be called up to any track/pad/input and be sculpted at will with the hardware
band selector buttons and EQ gain knob. My eq settings sound much more "musical" than the presets, to me anyway

B- SPECIALIZED APPLICATION EQ's
--------------------------------

I also make certain specialized eq's that are setup for a certain instrument/soundsource or microphone or both.....

Ex. Lets say that I have a recording of my voice singing through a sure sm58 on a track. Press the eq knob so You can see the
eq settings. They are flat and the eq is off. Ok, turn the Eq on by hitting the [enter] button. lets say, hypothetically, I
like my voice to have a nice narrow cut in the 1.5 khz zone.....cursor over to the midband settings and change the frequency
to 1.5 then drop the gain so you can see how 'wide' your filter is. adjust the 'Q' and watch as the bandwidth gets wider or
narrower. Listen to it and set it to taste. Now do this for the rest of your frequency bands.
I find I really like to change the low band to a Hi-pass filter in order to get out the rumble of those low freq's ... just
like your low cut button on a hardware mixer, only with a selectable frequency. I also like to give a subtle scoop to my
low-mids.
Once youve got it all tweaked out, then save your eq to the library . You can create a special EQ for any
instrument/source that always needs a certain tweek. Eq's that create a special efect, like a 'telephone' sounding eq, or 'lo
fi' eq are also handy to have in the library.

C-PRESET EQ SETTINGS
---------------------

Do not rely on these settings to be the magic EQ bullet for the source they claim to be for ( Many of the presets
boost the highs which can introduce noise....). They also seem to miss the mark on frequency and Q' in many instances in my
opinion. Instead , call them up , listen , and tweak. You might get lucky and find one that really works for you...

ex. I like the "BASS DRUM 3" EQ preset frequencies for vocals, but I change the low mid Q' to a wide cut and the high mid Q'
to a narrow cut along with other changes which are my trade secrets, just kidding......get in there and mess around ,
youll have the hang of it in no time.

D- STORING AND RECALLING EQ SETTINGS
-----------------------------------

SAVE your EQ to the library by pressing the EQ knob until you get to the "Library" page. Scroll down the list until
you get to a blank program. Cursor over to the 'store button' on the screen and hit [enter]. Name the eq patch. I like to
describe the source and the mic in my description, but you can name them however you wish.
ex. "MyVox_58" for a sure sm58 on my vocals or "GtrAmp_57" for an sm57 on a guitar amp ......

RECALL your EQ by first selecting the track/input/pad you want to apply it to and then press the EQ knob until you
get to the "Library" page. Scroll down the list until you get to the program you want to recall. Cursor over to the 'recall
button' on the screen and hit [enter]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:15 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
Thanks for doing this. EQ is still difficult for me. This should help enormously

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:37 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
good advice. I would contribute that -

- less is (often) best.

- adds add up -> often to trouble in the mix

- cuts and notches can help define a track -> but keep in mind you are "losing" something -> A / B when in doubt

- you should not rely for final EQ decisions on how desirable (sweet) or unnatural (sour) the track sounds when soloed. Solo the track to hear what the changes are doing, but leave final judgement to the way it fits the mix.

- it is fun to be quite 'radical', to get a sound in your ear, then dial it back - usually substantially

- you should experiment, if your machine allows ( AW 2400 ), with where in the chain you insert your compressors and effects inserts - (pre EQ/ post EQ)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:42 pm 
The General

Excellent advise from all contributors to this thread.

One contribution from me......don't be afraid to try or use radical EQ settings even if they break ALL of the so called "rules". I say this with a grain of salt and would add that radical mixing actions should be used sparingly. If you are using them all the time, you may have tracking technique issue.

There are just some sounds that are far too hard to obtain organically in a home recording environment. Boosts or cuts of 9 db or more are very common, even in pro studios. You should always try to get the sounds you want organically before reaching for EQ. That said, again....sometimes the sounds(s) you want are virtually impossible to capture organically.

Use your ears.

Cheers,

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:57 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Bartman wrote:
Use your ears.

I always say use your meters to discover what's wrong, use your ears to discover what's right.

That said, there are no rules. They are guidelines. And if something that isn't done according to the guidelines turns out to work, then do it. :)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:06 am 
The General

Robbie wrote:
Bartman wrote:
Use your ears.

I always say use your meters to discover what's wrong, use your ears to discover what's right.

I like that saying. In fact, that's what I typically do to determine problems wih the low end of a mix. A spectrum analyzer has helped me identify problems my ears were not hearing due to room modes or.....erm, my ears.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:43 pm 
Loves Pamela's aw16G spot

Favourite food: chinese
Machine type: AW16G
thanx fellows

If you wish to avoid seeing a fool you must first break your mirror".............Francois Rabelais