The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:46 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Rice
Machine type: AW16G
Did it again; Saved draft but can not find it: Hope this isn't a triplicate:

Hi MM

"Do you have a copy of the AW16 G manual. what you need is on page 133/134/ 135 of that document".YES The first pages I read even before posting. I've read them numerous times thinking somehow I've missed something. To no avail. The discussion gets "truncated" right at the point where one links the Imported CDRW to the Project[Song]. I know the machine works "fine".All preparatory steps follow the manual as written. I've Imported CD Tracks "wrongly" ( also Demo when present) and Audio played properly thru Hdphones. Its not Hdphones. Its not the output jack. This machine works. I'm just in a parallel world. The MBoard ( or Cache) follows the appropriate sequence of messages as per the Manual.

I thought I had sent a long and detailed "post" about why I'm looking at using the AW in an "ass backwards fashion. But somehow it did not get Posted. I'll just resurrect my thoughts, because I think it might help you and others understand why I seem so intent on Importing CD tracks and not just plugging Direct and building a Project[Song from "scratch. And it might open up some minds for alternate use of the soft/hardware others currently possess. I have "NO" real desire to impress anyone with a finished/polished CD of my music. I merely want to impress myself with the wonder of playing "high quality" jazz with the "pioneers" and backbone of those that built this genre. I want to get better at doing this as efficiently as possible. For me time, @ 73, is of the essence. I didn't pick up the guitar till I was 30 years old. Got nowhere with jazz till I left dentistry and went to a vocational music school in Los Angeles @ 40 yrs old. I'm trained as a dentist. Educated as philosopher...Existential philosophy. Am impassioned by learning and my particular genre is "strait ahead jazz" with my instrument guitar.
What I don't want to do is learn to play drums...learn to play Bass...my classical piano skills are limited.
But I need a Band....A good band...and who could be better that the "Greats" the backbone of the genre.Playing with them is really a "high experience", not always to be confused. Today no one has the time. No one has the "place"....there are no more "clubs" to play/learn in.

My solution: Many years with Midi and BandinBox. But Midi was deficient until they started to substitute
"Real Drums" into the format. Rather than cutting up "beats" I cut up these real drum Waves easily into Full length songs of 8/16/ 12 for blues sections. Cut and paste them. We have Dynamics variation...long phrases which sound
like a "real drummer". I have hundreds of Midi tunes and Midi Acoustic Bass is "sampled" well and sounds rather good when converted to digital. Have several Digital Audio Editors using mostly Sound Forge 9 (Wave Lab 6)
and can Import Drums and Bass into Stereo format of SForge. Practicing timing and feel. I have 300 GB of Jazz
Classic Audio in MP3 and Flac format...Open any of those files in SForge or WavLab and ....Play the Head, Comp the Background or Harmonize with the "soloist". If song is in "wrong" key I "Pitch Shift" it...If the song is blazing speed...I TIme Shift it. I lay "in" Markers and loop them till even a dummy like me can finally sing the notes and find it on the guitar. Sometime the Audio playback has "limited distortion" but one can get past that limitation, thru focus on one's goal. I run these thru Mackie 4 BUSS Mixer and AD/DA conversion thru Layla 24/96 and Mackie near field monitors. I have all the Fake books I could desire. Fortunately, I've taken the task of learning to read music well. That has helped to remove all limitation from the difficulties of moving across the fretboard. I'm not limited by "position" playing anymore, I had been for years...and that is a real "brick wall". . Transcription books from horn players as well as guitarist are accessible.

But this is just PRACTICE. If I want to EVALUATE (listen and relisten). I have the DAW sitaution. Mainly Cubase 3 or 5...but grew thru iterations of Cakewalk thru Sonar 3/5/8 (But not used as much now). I import a CD Trk to ...pick a "group" I want to play with...Bird, Miles, Desmond, Baker, Wes etc. Put them on..Comp...Play Head..
Solo. Record the Trks as long as I want into the multitrack DAW environment.Then I evaluate my weaknesses and just keep plugging away at the deficiencies. .
I have "tons" of plugins. Mercury Waves...have never used them.My sound is the guitar's sound RAW only going thru a Compressor/Pre. The only need for "control room settings are "faders, panning...to taste. I've never even fiddled with eq.....Though I should. The AW16 just has "sweepers". It's at this point that my knowledge of Audio
Mixing and Mastering drops off life a 50Hz wave coming out of a cheap monitoring system. Trying to pick up in this section but hard to do alone...and that requires time away from the "practicing". But slowly engaging in changing that.

So now the AW16...why did I want it and what do I want it to do for "ME". Currently some "horn" friends want to get together...practice and create demos for 'gigs". My room is small and my wife is tired. The patching, micing,
all difficult to access (squeezed into my small studio room) and IMMOBILE. The workstation I thought would be "easy" since its Portable....move into larger different area/different house and If the "[Song]Projects were on its HDD, just connect a few mics...and voi'la. It seemed so simple. But it like everything good in life everything needs more work than expected. I understand most "reasoned" people want to get their music out to the public. Hope for at least "praise" and maybe fortune and a long term job. Very understandable...Very commendable. Just take this machine to a "big gig" record live..Mix Master later they might hopefully, break into the ranks of
commercial sound venues. The later is all beyond my energy scope and I've really led a different kind of life.

Hope this it least explains, if it doesn't necessarily justify my reluctance to just "plug in Direct". And begin a [Song] Project. If anyone out there finds these ideas intriguing please "post" I'm happy to share anything. Info or Data........Just keep in mind that time is a factor. I enjoy teaching in a way but remember I'm still a "student" too.

Sign off..."Good Night Ms Calabash wherever you are".....it's 4 AM here

Jason

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:58 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Jason Mason wrote:
The discussion gets "truncated" right at the point where one links the Imported CDRW to the Project[Song]. I know the machine works "fine".All preparatory steps follow the manual as written. I've Imported CD Tracks "wrongly"

I don't think you are far off, but let us continue this discussion via PM and then when we get it working we will declare our victory to the world!

Look in the top left corner of this message and you will see a link that says 0 new messages. I am going to send you a PM and then it will read 1 new message. Reply to that and our conversation will between just you and me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:12 pm 
Dude

MM ...LTO ...."Love that Optimism"

I see the area..the PM etc. There are No Messages yet...do I assume that we do this in "real time" and we both need to be at our desk...sort of like "instant message"...

I haven't had time to follow the last set of instructions....their short, but I'm a bit war weary. I need to step back and take a breathe and think with some clearity.. ..So give me a day or so,. if this has to be in "real time".
Otherwise
EMail: jasonmasonc@earthlink.net....I've got tight security but will pick you up in Web Mail and "open the door".
Do I need to stock the house with refreshments?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:45 pm 
Dude

MM,

A piece of cake...You should just put it on the site verbatim. Not a "glitch". Slight question about the "horizontal lines that appear....since I did not attend to that screen previously....the lines are
indicators of Trk and and Trk 2....each line then indicates a "single recorded Trk. In this case the Stereo Trk 1 +2.
[Track] View (Screen) : Info to the Lft of the vertical 16 Trk designation are "WAV" (Bordered and blinking) + Name....above that ...I did Name the [Song] Project : Way You Look...but that is not apparent in this screen.
[V_TR0_2_1]....What does mean?

Would you like in Cubase : Name the tracks with specific names like
CD Way Look 1 : CD Way Look 2: (to distinguish the separate WAV files for recall) and not use the generic naming of "Way You Look"...no confusion that way when need to delete a track, export a
track etc.

I assume I respond to your PM in Public Forum. Do not know how otherwise.

I just shake my head in disbelief...and shake your hand with quiet relief

Next installment, please.

Thanks

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:50 am 
Marker Magician

Jason Mason wrote:
Slight question about the "horizontal lines that appear....since I did not attend to that screen previously....the lines are
indicators of Trk and and Trk 2....each line then indicates a "single recorded Trk. In this case the Stereo Trk 1 +2.

Yes if there is a line beside a track # on the Track> View screen it means there is data present.

Jason Mason wrote:
[Track] View (Screen) : Info to the Lft of the vertical 16 Trk designation are "WAV" (Bordered and blinking) + Name....above that ...I did Name the [Song] Project : Way You Look...but that is not apparent in this screen.
[V_TR0_2_1]....What does mean?

The Track View screen is outlined on pg 48. In that picture on the screen there are square bracket with the words [ no - rec ]. If you press the Name button and name the track, that info would appear in those brackets I assume

The tr 1 v.tr 1 label tells you where the track resides in memory. Each individual track has 8 "slots" (my term) into which data can be recorded or placed by import or movement. This is so you can play along to previously recorded tracks and then reassign the track to a new "virtual" slot and try your recording again, without distruction of your first try. Very useful when you want to piece together a performance from multiple takes. the example on the page show you are engaged on Track 1 in the first "virtual" slot. This virtual can be switched on the next screen (Track button > V.TR)

Jason Mason wrote:
Would you like in Cubase : Name the tracks with specific names like
CD Way Look 1 : CD Way Look 2: (to distinguish the separate WAV files for recall) and not use the generic naming of "Way You Look"...no confusion that way when need to delete a track, export a
track etc.

( I never do this as I rely on memory and a track label strip , but it may be useful, especially if you have several projects on the go.)

Jason Mason wrote:
I assume I respond to your PM in Public Forum. Do not know how otherwise.

Incorrect. You respond to a PM in the bottom right corner of the PM by hitting the Reply button. This will send a message just to the sender.

What do you want to do next? I think you should tune the guitar and record your playing. Let me know if you are ready to do this, either here or via PM > you choose.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:01 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Hi,
as a few weeks old thread, I hope it is solved already.

I admit I haven't completely read all long posts, but this might be helpful (to future users perhaps):

When importing WAVes in AW16G make sure they are in 16bit/44.1KHz form (mono or stereo). Other formats won't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 pm 
Marker Magician

dejan wrote:
Hi,
as a few weeks old thread, I hope it is solved already.

When importing WAVes in AW16G make sure they are in 16bit/44.1KHz form (mono or stereo). Other formats won't work.

Good reminder for new g users. It would be easy to miss the 16 bit aspect if you are trading tracks with a user who may be more apt to be tracking in 24 bit files.

As for this user, author of the thread, it has taken some time and quite a few PMs but i think he is up and running. I haven't heard any examples of his work yet though - hint hint nudge nudge there Jason Mason.