The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:32 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Rice
Machine type: AW16G
Hi,
I'm rather an old man @ 73 but am Newbie to the AWG and Newbie to forum Posts. I play Jazz Guitar.
I want to build a SONG by importing "stock" Bass and Drum Track from Band in Box. Then Direct record
Head..Comping and Soloing , on separate Tracks. To test my ability: Loaded #1 .WAV file (an entire Audio
Song), Named it. Then Loaded #2 a CDA file (an entire audio Song) Named that. I was exploring the Copyright "snag". It seemed apparent that both were recorded properly..all steps seem to match the manual. While they must be on the HDD I can not find them. So there is nothing to "build" a SONG on. The unit was just purchased and was wiped clean so no Demo Song, but seems to work fine.

Hoped to use similar procedure to build SONGS by Importing Bass and Drum Wav Files. Then completing them
by Direct Rec on different tracks. My use seems to be "ass backwards" since most first DEFINE the SONG and then record Live onto the desired Tracks.
What am I doing wrong here and what am I misunderstanding about what happens when you write to the HDD.

Obviously AW16 is nothing like a computer with an "explorer tree". posting.php?mode=post&f=11#

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:03 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
You may have to be a bit more specific perhaps.

First step is to create a "New" song and name it, as desired.

then you would want to import your track, the one to which you want to later overdub. You will have to do this via CD on the G. Seems you may have done this already???

I am not a G user ( my later AW machines have USB) So I suspect this is done via the EDit menu. the copywrite message shows you to be on the right path. This warning cautions you that you can't just use any data that you come across, but it is just that --- a warning.

Once the track is in a song structure, you will need to go to Direct Recording and arm the track to which you wish to record. If you put your guide track on Track 1 ( 1/2 if it is a stereo file), then arm (connect) an input to an unused track. Now when you press play/record you should hear the guide play back and simultaneously be able to record as you play to it.

Once you get the process it is very straightforward.

Good luck. I am away from my desk for the day but will check later to see how you are doing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:17 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Greetings and welcome. To my knowledge, age has never been a boundary to a musician. Gratz on buying an AW16G and props for learning to use it. I look forward to hearing what you record.

I haven't had my 16G in many years so I hopped on the old interweb to see what I could find. Take a look at these steps and see if this will help:

1. Press the [UTILITY] button until the preferences page is displayed.

2. Cursor to'CD/DAT' DIGITAL REC. "Disable" and press [ENTER].

3. Agree to the copyright disclaimer. This feature will become enabled.

4. Press the [TRACK] button until the CD Import is selected.

5. Cursor to "Read CD Info"press [ENTER].

6. After the CD is read, select the CD track to be imported and the destination track to be saved to.

7. Enter in time code of the starting point on the track

8. Cursor to EXECUTE and press [ENTER]

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:07 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
73 is not old. :)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:05 pm 
Dude

Hi,
Amazed at the quick response time here. I'm in cerebral exhaustion from attempting to intuit here so I may wait a day or two. Sounds like I did everything I needed to do but not in the correct order. I must FIRST
name a Song...and then Import the Bass and Drum tracks (1 and 2) INTO that "named" Song. Then continue on with addition of the other "live recorded" tracks on #3 , 4 5, etc. Will do.

Any info on how the HDD "deletes" or handles that data...i.e. the 2 songs that I "seemed" to have named
properly...the .WAV and CDA file. Those that I can not find now. Might they be taking up HD space or
are they not really there. Unlike computers is there no way to really access what information you placed on the AWG other than ...SONGS. For example, how would you know when your HDD is full. Could it be that when you "Burn" to disk the "DATA" disappears/gone or does it remain on the "Platter", accessible for another MIX.

Thanks so much for the welcome. Thanks so much for the info and most of all thanks so much for the site itself. I can build computers...am fairly knowledgeable about DAW recording...but bought this deck @ $150
looking to find something really quicker and easy. Bring some "horn" players over to the house set up a few mics and quickly and more easily record.....without dealing with the messy patching, routing, etc.

Read other reviews and know Yamaha has good "builds" with top notch parts. If this goes well then it
is worth the "upgrade" to 1600...or further but not till I reach an appropriate comfort zone.

To all a good night ..Opa from Floridahttp://www.forum.dijonstock.com/ ... 1&t=20330#

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:10 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Hi Jason,

Welcome here. I started with a AW 1600 and after learned enough about this wonderful machine I did the upgrade to a AW 2400.

For what I know the difference between the AW 1600 and AW 16g is minimal except for the missing usb. Big step up is the AW 2400 and the dancing faders inside. I use the AW2400 for studio work, live recording and also as the live mixer for the weekly rehersals and gigs with my band. Works great for me and I am missing nothing. Our great admin Robbie has been a guest and joining jam player at on off this gigs.
You remember, Robbie? :)

Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I'm jealous of your dancing faders... :(

:wink:

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:37 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Robbie wrote:
I'm jealous of your dancing faders... :(

:wink:

So am I about your great bass playing at our gig. That was a funny evening.
Btw: Fritzi is getting a much better drummer during the last years. Absolutely amazing now what he is doing with one hand and one leg :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:07 pm 
Dude

Hi....hope all have the patience to view and understand this:

Here's what I did ...not too concisely but precisely
1. "Song": New : Name Song...named it Song Dig_WavN.Song
2. "Song":SetUp: Default "Protect Off":Counter Display_ABS: Time Code Base _30 :
NO Change:DEFAULT Settings left "as is"

IMPORT CD
3. "Utility":D.inHDD:Cursor Digital Rec: Copywrite OK: Digital Rec Reads ON: leave Page
4. "Track":CD Import:Pick CDA :Appears to DEFAULT to Tracks 1/2 since Stereo file...
5. Execute: Import Message: Press LISTEN: Song Plays but OFF CDR not off HDD since the Drive
spins as Song Plays
CANNOT Find the WAV(CDA) file Imported: WAV file NOT currently "Linked" to Previously
6. Cursor w/in "Track": View: Options "WAV" and "Name" File : No Indicators that the just Imported
CDA file is Referenced in this Screen because : Input is "1": Metro:Off: Screen Blank
7. w/in "Track": Options View: VTR: Pad: CD Import: None of which Indicate where to go from here.
"Name" Option (Blinks): Attempt to LINK to Dig_WavN Song...Named Imported CDA file: DIG_WAVN (Capitals only no option for "lower case")
8. Noted no lower case available as in New "SONG" and so return to "SONG" : screen same as before with no
indication of a LINK or Presence of the Imported CDA file : Screen Reads
Dig_WavNSong9.50MB (original name)

Hi Marker Magician :
"Edit" (Work Navigation) is not Fxal nor is "Utility". The only info in the
Manual is how to Import Wav and CDA files there is no information of how to Utilize them into a
NEW SONG or how to Link them to a previously Named SONG.
Breakdown here : "Once the track is in a song structure" .....doesn't happen for me. Can't get it into Song structure

Hi: Spaminator:
Breakdown Here:
6. After the CD is read, select the CD track to be imported and the destination track to be saved to.
Options for Destination Not available....
"Utility" Options : Midi: Bulk: OSC: D.inHDD: and PREFER
7. "Utility": Prefer : Default Setings : Store Confirm On : Recall Confirm: D Copyright On:...etc.
Choices appear OK ...but NOTHING...moves forward
8. Return "SONG": (Options) List:Import: Setup: Point ...not much viable till look at "Point"
9. What I see is Starting and Ending Point the EXACT size of the Imported DIG_WAVN file.
No reference to it : Input 1 (not 1/2 which would be referenced in Stereo WRITE to HDD)

I made this much to specific but it seems that most no longer use the AW16 so I thought info might help "jog" someones mind probably most will be numbed, however.

Just lost in the Nederlands, I guess. Maybe I need a different "favorite food".....dancing faders is just a wee bit beyond my imagination. So I rest and pick up the guitar....maybe Wes can "chill" me.

Bye and Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:00 pm 
Dude

Well Some Success,

Not sure whether "RESTORE" was coincidental but did it. Disregard all the "blather" the fact that screen showed a correct song length, indicated its presence on HDD. After "Restore" then "Song"/List showed the
Demo Song which was not there before + the CDA Recorded from CD.....{Mile's}..."Dig"
1. Cursor to Song.....Load....and then Play.
2. Secret: How you Load Song...easy now

I guess that having someone listening to you "blather on" is its own motivation to "get your ass in gear"

Thanks for the silence....it moved me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:43 pm 
Marker Magician

Yes, it is a trial and error learning curve, but once you get it, the machine is really straight forward.

Not sure what the restore thing is all about - never done that - but if the demo song is showing on your Song list, be very careful. The demo song utilizes many features of the machine and the mix has several scene changes embedded, so things get turned on and off. Great to see what can be done, but there is an aspect of the machine that baffles many new users. That is that when you load a song, from the song list, the settings that existed within the song from which you are switching, remain. ie. Loading a new song brings up the data (tracks) that are within that song, but not the settings that existed when you last put that song to bed. If you want to recall settings from a previous session you need to have saved them as a Scene, and then after you load a song, recall that scene to get back to a previous "snapshot" of your settings. Until you do that the setting that existed in the previous song linger.

On the scene library page is one preset, call "Recall Initial Data". This zeros out everything.

On some of the bigger machines there are motorized (flying) faders. On these machines Recall initial data and all the faders move on there own to the bottom. On your machine (G - no motorized faders) the physical faders do not move when you recall the scene, but the virtual faders most certainly do. Press the View button until you see a picture of a bank of faders. (press any track button or any input button to toggle between the screen for these banks, individually - look in top left corner to see if you are in input or track) If a physical fader has a value different from the virtual fader, it is the virtual fader that is active. In order to get the physical fader "seeing" what is the virtual fader's setting you must run the physical fader up and/or down its travel. A dark line will colour either above or below the fader in the picture. When this happens you know that the physical fader has "grabbed" the setting and now it can be utilized to adjust. Take the time to observe what i just told you. It will save you lots of headaches later. Learn to save and recall a scene - this is absolutely necessary if you intend to move between projects. You don' need to be looking at the faders screen in order to accomplish this. What I said also holds true for the red, master fader.

there should be screen that shows you what tracks actually contain data. (track button??) It will be show dark thick bars beside the track #upon which there is data.

Once you have got the data into the machine, the next step is to arm (connect) an input to a track and record some music and upload it here for some of us to listen and heap you with compliments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:43 pm 
Dude

Hi
My Visual: I'm Touring Europe and about to get on the Autobahn with a children's pedal car.
Basically : I can not figure out, CONSISTENTLY, how to NAME and then place a CD imported SONG into the Song list with its NEW NAME..then Audition it
It does occurs ONLY by accident/luck. I keep going back and trying to Cleanup the process.
"Magic Marker"....Thanks for your thoughts...when I first read them I remarked to myself...here is someone really trying to help and his info is coherent and detailed. Then I said to myself ...this info is totally non applicable. Bear with me.
I used the Yamaha CD to Restore to Factory conditions....after loading and naming 3-4 Songs 2 times. I noticed "glitches "
One Song had 2 of the Songs playing as if : Song 1 was Overdubbed with Song 2 and that Song was 2 Trks Stereo. Some
of the Names of the Song were linked to the Wrong Song. Understand, the first time each was auditioned they were correct. You mentioned the DEMO and that "Scene Transfers " within the Demo are problematic when switching Songs. So I wanted to start from "scratch"...being this is a used machine.

When RESET the AW16 the only Song was DEMO: I tried to DELETE it....What could be easier. [Song]:List: Delete.....
Message: Cant Select Current Song...Oh I see!..... Apparently a "fuzzier version of Windows BSOD. After adding
a New Song, which I named, I could then make "New Song" the Current Song (Hilited w/ Blinking Border )and Lo and Behold
... Delete DEMO. Conclusion : Current Song has limitation: New Song should have had "no scenes" in
it...bare CDA converted to WAV. Then I attempted to Delete the New Song...to leave a BARE Song List: Message: Cant Select Current Song...Oh I see!. From my many hours of "frustration" in trying to find the correct way to Import:Name" Audition a Song I have also noted that CONSTANTLY going BETWEEN songs is this requirement: < Save Current Song> I somehow feel that your info really must tie into this ...because when I do get the Songs Loaded and named and then switch between them (REQUIRING ..< Save Current Song>) they then corrupt.

Can anyone help here. Secondarily. There is no way to NAME the Imported Song on Import Page:
[Utility] copyright: [Track]... Import CD ...
[Track] : View : {WAV} Name...works to name it....then I go to FIND it : [Song] ...but nothing shows up ...when you start
'guessing" with the buttons...all hell breaks loose.

Hope someone is kind enough to read this and help me "understand" here. If this is a signal flow problem I've started to
go thru it but I think this is a design problem. My 2 years in Okinawa and 4 trips to Japan and my limited but real ability to speak Japanese...has helped me to admire the "Japanese culture in all its forms" , I'm afraid this is one "form" that eludes me.

Thanks for any ears in cyberspace ... may the "packets" be with you

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:30 am 
Marker Magician

Jason Mason wrote:
Hi

Basically : I can not figure out, CONSISTENTLY, how to NAME and then place a CD imported SONG into the Song list with its NEW NAME.

Think of "Songs" as projects. When you start a project make a "NEW" song. When you press the button to make a "NEW" Song it is named by default as New Song 001. You have opportunity to rename the song if desired, but it is not required. Whatever the name, once you complete the sequence of creating the "NEW" song, it will be placed in the song list, automatically. A "Song" is the shell into which you record (or import) individual tracks (stereo or mono). these tracks are then "mixed" and eventually, when satisfied, the mix of those multi-tracks is recorded to a "2-track" stereo bus ( you have to tell the machine when you want this done). This stereo track is the finished product >>> your song >>> created from the data within the "Song" (project).

Jason Mason wrote:
this info is totally non applicable. Bear with me.

My message contains vital information that is not readily accessible through the manual. If it is not what you need right now, it will be be needed at the next plateau.

Jason Mason wrote:
I used the Yamaha CD to Restore to Factory conditions....after loading and naming 3-4 Songs 2 times. I noticed "glitches "

If you restored to factory condition you put the demo song back in the list. Take note of my advice or search "demo song" on this forum and you will find a litany of advice and teeth gnashing.

I am not sure what you mean by "loading and naming 3-4 Songs 2 times." Before you "load" you have to make create a "NEW" song(project), as I said above. As i said, this is an empty shell Once you have done that then you can proceed and import the tracks, the ones you have described in previous messages.

Jason Mason wrote:
One Song had 2 of the Songs playing as if : Song 1 was Overdubbed with Song 2 and that Song was 2 Trks Stereo. Some
of the Names of the Song were linked to the Wrong Song. Understand, the first time each was auditioned they were correct.

I suspect that you imported tracks ( you called them songs ) into the same Project "Song". If the tracks were not intended to be used together, then they should each be in their own "Song" (project) If you imported them into the same "song" it would explain why they are playing back simultaneously. The situation you describe where songs don't seem to be linked with the correct data is not at all a common "glitch". Check that the imported tracks get put in the correct song. You have to specify the destination during the import sequence.

Jason Mason wrote:
You mentioned the DEMO and that "Scene Transfers " within the Demo are problematic when switching Songs. So I wanted to start from "scratch"...being this is a used machine.

Keep thinking this way about the Demo Song

Jason Mason wrote:
AW16 the only Song was DEMO: I tried to DELETE it....What could be easier. [Song]:List: Delete.....
Message: Cant Select Current Song...Oh I see!..... Apparently a "fuzzier version of Windows BSOD. After adding
a New Song, which I named, I could then make "New Song" the Current Song (Hilited w/ Blinking Border )and Lo and Behold
... Delete DEMO. Conclusion : Current Song has limitation: New Song should have had "no scenes" in
it...bare CDA converted to WAV.

This is wrong (kind of). If you played the Demo Song before you deleted it, settings from the last scene called up by that Demo Song will remain and so will affect what you hear when you load another song. This is the info i gave in my previous message. If you never played the demo song you will not have its settings but if you did...

You are correct in saying the New Song will have no scenes, as you have not made any scenes as yet. But whatever the settings were when you switched Projects (Song), thes settings remain. It is up to you, the user , to tell the machine what you want ie. which tracks are on, which off ( Monitor button). Volume stteings (faders) , EQ, EFF, DYNamics (compression) etc. As I suggested "Recall Initial Data" from the Scene Library and all this stuff is set to zero. This is the "starting from scratch" that you seek. Recall Initial Data and then it is up to you to tell the machine what to do, and it wont change until you tell it to. The problem with the Demo Song is that several scenes are embedded within what is called a Tempo Map and they get called up as the song plays back. This ability to create a Tempo Map is well beyond what you need to worry about doing for your work, but you do have to understand that all setting remain when you switch Song (project). Each time you load a new song (project) you need to either 1) turn stuff on and off to achieve setting needed/desired or 2) Recall Initial Data and then turn ON and set fsaders for only what you need OR 3) recall a Scene that you have saved in the Scene Library, to recapture settings you previously tweaked and then saved as a Scene. (Think of it as a Snapshot of previous work. ) This aspect of lingering settings baffles most new users, especially if they get involved with the Demo Song.

Jason Mason wrote:
Then I attempted to Delete the New Song...to leave a BARE Song List: Message: Cant Select Current Song...Oh I see!. From my many hours of "frustration" in trying to find the correct way to Import:Name" Audition a Song I have also noted that CONSTANTLY going BETWEEN songs is this requirement: < Save Current Song> I somehow feel that your info really must tie into this ...because when I do get the Songs Loaded and named and then switch between them (REQUIRING ..< Save Current Song>) they then corrupt.

AS you discovered, you can't delete the current song. This would be akin to trying to drag an icon on a PC desktop to the trash, when that file is currently open. PC won't let you do that. Neither will the AW.

I really doubt your songs are being corrupted (but i will stand corrected if need be) > I guess that your confusion stems from your thought that an imported piece from a CDA becomes itself a "Song", (because that is what it is considered while on on the CDA). But actually, it is being imported to a Project ("Song") as a Track, to be included in a Mix.

Jason Mason wrote:
Can anyone help here. Secondarily. There is no way to NAME the Imported Song on Import Page:
[Utility] copyright: [Track]... Import CD ...
[Track] : View : {WAV} Name...works to name it....then I go to FIND it : [Song] ...but nothing shows up ...when you start
'guessing" with the buttons...all hell breaks loose.

As i said, you are not importing a "Song" from your CDA, The CDA's data becomes a "track" within the current Project ("Song"), and it will reside where you put it/ per the instruction during the IMPORT sequence. If the sequence is allowing you to name it, it is for identification convenience of that individual track, which you are importing to become part of a project "Song". This is why it doesn' appear in the Song List. You named the track and it is, itself, not a "Song" (project)

Jason Mason wrote:
Hope someone is kind enough to read this and help me "understand" here. If this is a signal flow problem I've started to
go thru it but I think this is a design problem. My 2 years in Okinawa and 4 trips to Japan and my limited but real ability to speak Japanese...has helped me to admire the "Japanese culture in all its forms" , I'm afraid this is one "form" that eludes me.

Stick with it. once you get it you will be very pleased with what you can do. If you don't want to continue in the public forum, Use the PM (Private Message) button to message me directly and I will help you get to the AHA moment. You are not far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:38 am 
Dude

Hi
Magic Marker...you are "angelic" . Thanks for the clarity, the time and sincerity to help. 3 college degrees and they put me on the day shift. So the concept is Song Project not CDA to Song. First create a "dummy song which is functionally a Project[Song]...it has as a name a "default [Song 001]......then you go to Import from CD and "Insert" (somehow...will see how I accomplish this) into that [Song 001] and then Rename.
I knew that fundamentally something was amiss because nothing was consistent. My starting concept was totally distorted.

The "scene" stuff I assume are Project settings for : Pan : Eq: Fader Settings....but it really seems odd that these
Settings remain into the "next" opened Project unless you do a "faux deletion". How do the "original" scene settings help you when going to the NEXT Project.....It seems every Project should have its own "individual" "snapshot". It should start out with "no scene" till you create it. I'm far from this point but an understanding
of how Yamaha or the USER would find this useful would be helpful.

It beat me up enough today, that I had to return to my "Practicing"...this time Jimmy Raney. Tomorrow I'll start off again. That is if the Greek economy doesn't collapse and send the world reeling.

Can't tell you how much I've appreciated your guidance.

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:33 am 
Dude

Hi Magic Marker,

It just "hit" me. I left the AW16 with what I thought was "1" [Song] I'll "call" corrupted . It was once a song that I could play and "audition". In the process of making Song #2...I noticed that #1 increased in MG size. As if I once again "overlayed" 2 stereo songs. I saw no [Song] #2. This was the [Song] that at the end of the day I attempted to DELETE. I could not get it to "Audio" . After digesting your info...I'm thinking this probably has those "Scene" settings in it. So if I attempt to start afresh with your new info....I may get into a similar problem. Is there any way I can "delete" this . As I said previously, only get <MESSAGE> Can't Delete Current Song....Oh I see!.

Also thought about your advise to connect directly....I'm fine doing it this way...but as I said with my first Post
I'm "new" at this. If my "thrashing" is inappropriate...too long and verbose..that I'll let you make that call. I kinda felt that it might be helpful for others. "Who know....only the Shadow knows."

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:39 pm 
Dude

Hi
Started out NEW path. Following your advice...I saw many new Screens...Each made sense...Still when I try to
Import to Song (Project) whether Named by me or Default Name "001 Song " . I Imported from CD seemingly successfully. Then returned [Song] trying to Import WAV to a Song Project ...Screen info
Select Source [Track 1V TR:1...Name {No Rec}...then
Destination Trk to ImportScreens : Trk: 1V.TR:1 ..Name Trk[Dig ....1] which is the name of the CD Track I imported .
RESULT: Message Track NOT RECORDED.
In [Song] I utilized this method within context of <Current Song> in which 001 Song was both Hilited + Blinking Border...ALSO with [Song] only bordered with [Song] "Dig.....Miles1 " having only "dotted border. At the beginning I created 2 New Songs: One was Default Name/One I named i.e. [Dig...Miles1]. I thought that maybe I was attempting to "link" to an "inactive" Song Project (the difference between <Current Song> and just "bordered" Song.
Results similar. However the WAV exists: It is referenced on some screen I do not recall which with the correct Start and Stop time of 3:33 sec.

At this point I think Messaging "outside" might be really the only solution. How would I do that.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:18 pm 
Marker Magician

Yes this sort of dialog is helpful for others. There are far fewer new users dropping by these years, as other platforms have gained at the expense of stand-alone DAW. I suggested a Private Message only if that would be more comfortable for you.

The fact that your Song #1 increased in size is a substantial clue that your song is not corrupt, but that you actually added data to it. During the import process you have to make sure that the project "Song" into which you want to import or record data is actually the "current" project (the one currently loaded from the (Song List). I do believe this is displayed on the screen some or all of the time, but if not, go to the Song List and see which song is darkened in the list. that is the current song.. I suspect that when you imported from your CDA you thought that you were importing a song, and this should , (in your mind) automatically make a new song for the Song list >>> not true >>> you have imported what is called a track. If you want it to be in a second project, you have to first make that "Song" shell (project) and then have it be the current song and then specify the import instruction to somewhere within THAT "Song" project.

As i said in my previous diatribe >>> The process 1) create a NEW Song (project) >>> record or import tracks within this project "shell" (the "Song")>>> mix the tracks >>>> record your mix.

You need not worry about scenes as an agent of corruption. Scenes are instructions for specific settings in the CURRENT "Song" (project), but they do not jump about as Gremlins from project to project. this does not occur. They do however "linger" after a new Song from the list is designated as the Current Song These lingering Scenes will make seemingly weird things occurs within a project. But thes lingering setting do not become a scene in the next song (even though they may have been invoked by a "scene" within the previous "Song"(project)). When a new song is loaded the settings linger, but they are not a scene that can be recalled in the new song, >> they are remnant of the old song. Ifyou want them to become a scene in the new song, by all means save them as a scene in the new project's Scene Library. but more likely you will modify them in some way and the use this new configuration to create a scene specific to that second project.

If there is only one song in the SongList you will not be able to delete it. You can't have an empty Song List. So you must create a new Project"Song" and then you can delete you ill-attempt.

Just remember - importing a tune from a CDA does not create a new "Song" project, just because you (commonly) called it a song when it is on the CDA. It is a track within a new Project. the purpose of which is to mix elements to create a recording that will eventually be burned to CDA and then that will become what is commonly called a song. But within the AW, your imported data is not a "Song" - it is a "track".

These machines are terribly reliable, and as with all computers they do only what they are instructed to do. If it is not working 99.9% of the time it is the users issue.

Make sure you import to the proper "Song" shell. It seems you have imported successfully but you got the "play-along" tracks (we call it a click or ghost track) from what should be separate projects imported to only one "Song" (project) I think you should move on to trying to record some playing, overdubbing .

Start afresh or go to the monitor screen and turn off the one of the conflicting tracks. When turned off it will no longer be in your way.

Keep at it. you will get it. then you will win a grammy. and at 73, who wouldn't want to win a GRammy??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:22 pm 
Dude

MM Hi
Here is what I did as per last post:

1. [Song] List: New: <Save Current Song>aka SCS> : Confirmation : "Select Items to Import": Choices :
Scene : Library or Tempo.......really do not want to Import any of those . DO I ?? but I do "YES" (not Cancel)
2. Option to Name Song : Default is .."002... New Song" To make simpler left Default Name :
Checked if NOW go to [Dig ........Miles1]and check Audio : No Audio ......So
Put CD in Reader to add Track to "NewSong"
3. [Utility] : D.in HDD: turn Copyright Protection : Dig Rec [ON]..
4. [Track] : CD Import ...Progress...Reads CD...Trks 1-16...all with DISTINCT Time Values
Pick Trk #2 : "EXEC" <Ececute CD Import> : Importing....
HERE IS WHERE I DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO GO NEXT
5. [Track] :View : "WAV"....shows me a WAV form ..Yes: [Track] :Name : Proceed this Option : "SOLAR......1"
Name Appears Panel Beneath : Trk: 1 V.T.R 1
NOW WHERE DO I GO
6. [Song] LIST : choices w/ List (Load : Save: or New)....I've attempted each without success. Guidance Please.Maybe
: [Song] IMPORT :.....would this be Importing the TRK : "SOLAR......1" into the CurrentSong "002... New Song"
which is Hilited and "dotted. .......Please Advise

I've tried most of these "routes" yesterday" maybe incorrectly but rather that "spin wheels" and get frustrated I think
here is the time to STOP and allow you to "Hand Feed Me."
AS Quoted:
They do however "linger" after a new Song from the list is designated as the Current Song These lingering Scenes will make seemingly weird things occurs within a project.
When a new song is loaded the settings linger, but they are not a scene that can be recalled in the new song, >> they are remnant of the old song. Ifyou want them to become a scene in the new song, by all means save them as a scene, etc
NOTE: 1. [Song] List: New........I was required here to "Select items to Import".... could not pass this screen without doing so

To go futher I will be required to <SCS> and this process causes me hesitation also , due to my lack of grasp of the process SCENE flow. Gremlins and "linger" aren't quite defined. Getting thru this will help define them. Still a long way from Record and MIX..
HOWEVER BEFORE I DID THIS I EXPLORED A BIT this is what occurred PRIOR to the above...to make it easier for you I reversed the sequence....I hope that doesn't throw you off.
What existed on the [Song] List was 2 items : I deleted 'one" of the "2" : What remained was <CurSong> +in [Edit] a "Named WAV file: [Dig........1]
1. Instruction Manual : <Current Song> pg 28 Dotted Frame is Song Selected for Operations : Hilited line indicated Song currently loaded and considered <Current Song>
2. [Song] : List:Current Song : Name is [Dig ........Miles1]...this will not Delete : As you indicated there must remain at minimum "1"Song on Song list............Understood
3. [Dig ........Miles1] w/ 118 MB...OK I asked :What is in this Song: Could it contain a prior Imported WAV from the CD.and/or Will it play???
A. Hilited Current Song : Transport : Play .....No Audio (Hdphones for all Audio)
B. Hilited Current Song: :Load: <Enter> Save Current Song: Yes: Transport Play : No Audio..There is DATA but what is it fxal? Shouldn't a [Song] Project play...Must it first be "Loaded" into Project to Play????
Go to EDIT
4. [Edit] : Export : WAV File [Dig........1] present.....Try : "Export" <Enter> OK..."Executing Export" ...Message
"Change Media Please"....this indicates to ME that this is Fxally to EXPORT to CD and not to EXPORT the WAV File "Dig........1" to Current Song [Dig ........Miles1]
The CD in CD-RW was "Finalized" with the CDA songs. Probably if I put in a "Clean" CD it might Write the File to CD....but I want to Write/Export to a New Song. Song List ONLY includes <Current Song>.
All I know NOW is that there is "1" Project Song : [Dig ........Miles1] ......and I know "1" WAV file appears @ [Edit] : Export : HAVE WAV[Dig........1]...but I see that no SIZE/Time indication making me question that assumption that there is even data there. Would this be like "Naming" a Track prior to Recording into it???

By the way. May I assume you are a Moderator on the site. I'd feel a bit guilty of consuming so much of your time and energy, if not.
As an aside : I found this site thru the CHAZ555 Youtube Replace HDD video. I'm really committed here. I went
ahead and purchased 2 40 GB replacement HDD and 2 Mitsushita Readers knowing what I know abut building computers. That's paranoia for you. But I just hate wasting the energy without the "longterm" reward.
FYI the reference was spoken quickly and required multiple hearing to figure it out. Later linked with the
Matsushita CD-RW in Google.

Thanks so much

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:23 am 
Marker Magician

Do you have a copy of the AW16 G manual. what you need is on page 133/134/ 135 of that document.

If you don't have a copy you can find it on the docs page of this site.

http://www.dijonstock.com/uploads/docs/ ... NGLISH.PDF

here is a link.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:55 am 
Marker Magician

Jason Mason wrote:
MM Hi
Here is what I did as per last post:

1. [Song] List: New: <Save Current Song>aka SCS> : Confirmation : "Select Items to Import": Choices :
Scene : Library or Tempo.......really do not want to Import any of those . DO I ?? but I do "YES" (not Cancel)
2. Option to Name Song : Default is .."002... New Song" To make simpler left Default Name :
Checked if NOW go to [Dig ........Miles1]and check Audio : No Audio ......So
Put CD in Reader to add Track to "NewSong"
3. [Utility] : D.in HDD: turn Copyright Protection : Dig Rec [ON]..
4. [Track] : CD Import ...Progress...Reads CD...Trks 1-16...all with DISTINCT Time Values
Pick Trk #2 : "EXEC" <Ececute CD Import> : Importing....
HERE IS WHERE I DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO GO NEXT
5. [Track] :View : "WAV"....shows me a WAV form ..Yes: [Track] :Name : Proceed this Option : "SOLAR......1"
Name Appears Panel Beneath : Trk: 1 V.T.R 1
NOW WHERE DO I GO
6. [Song] LIST : choices w/ List (Load : Save: or New)....I've attempted each without success. Guidance Please.Maybe
: [Song] IMPORT :.....would this be Importing the TRK : "SOLAR......1" into the CurrentSong "002... New Song"
which is Hilited and "dotted. .......Please Advise

Step 4 - before you hit execute take note of the destination for the import (the track to which it will be imported - it will be a paired track eg 1/2 because you are importing a stereo song from a CD) and also note the time placement for the import. You will want to import it to time 0:00. Now when you hit Execute the cd should spin and an import will take place, with the data going to the specified track at the specified time.

Step 5 - if you can see a wav form using the Track:View Wav then there is indeed data there.

So hit play in the transport and you should hear your stuff. If you can't there will be a reason - 1) headphone/ monitor volume pot needs to be turned up, 2) your headphones are no good or 3) (most likely) the track to which the data was imported is not turned on. To check this go to the Monitor Button and you will get a screen that shows the status of each track and input. Make sure the track which contains your data is turned on. If you still can't hear it then run the faders for the import tracks AND the Red fader all the way up and down (once is enough). this "links" the physical fader to the software. I spoke of this in a previous message.

Let me know how you get along.

Have you tried to record yourself yet?

If you can't get the import procedure down, you can ease some of your stress by recording a bit of yourself to a track, just to prove the system really works.

http://www.dijonstock.com/uploads/docs/AW16G_REC101.PDF

I can tell you are serious about getting your machine to work so don't worry about the time. I am a Mod on the site, but we are a small community and several of the regular contributors have Moderator status. I hav lots of time and i would like to help you and then get to hear some Jazz guitar virtuoso playing as the reward.

read thos pages in the manual - they address exactly what you are trying to do.