The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Using eff1 to feed eff2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:07 am 
Dude

Favourite food: pizza
Machine type: AW1600
I'm messing around with reverb, trying to learn everything I can as I start mixing my project. Apparently, there's a lot more to it than just choosing a preset!

Anyways, I found some good articles which generally speaking break down the way you customize your reverb setting to choosing your pre-delay settings and then choosing the actual reverb settings. I was trying to apply this to my AW1600, which does allow you to accomplish this. However, I then noticed something of interest-- if you dig into the edit menu for EFF1, you will find a setting for how much of the effect to send to EFF2 (and vice versa on EFF2). (This as opposed to dialing in a setting via the EFF2 knob, which can be set to -inf).

I'm not totally sure of the different between the 2 approaches - anyone know? Does EFF2 run in serial or in parallel wth EFF1? If it runs in parallel, then the approach I describe above would be a way to change to to serial, ie output of eff1 directly feeds into eff2. I suspect that is what is happening.

In my particular application, what I'm doing is playing around with setting up 2 reverbs. Eff1 is an early reflection only, and eff2 is a plate. This seems like it could be a nice way to build a subtle but interesting reverb on the lead vocal. I was thinking for the other instruments they may just feed into eff2, without the early reflection. Another thing I may play around with is panning the 2 effects differently, maybe eff1 is panned narrow, L5R5, so it is tight to the voice at C, and eff2 is left wide L16R16.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:01 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
This is very interesting as I always wondered about the order of effects. I think that when you choose two effects as send/return they are added (that is, parallel).

If you can choose how much of the return of one effect is sent to the input of the other it's important to realize that the order can make a huge difference.

It's the same with maths, 5 + 5 x 6 isn't the same as (5 + 5) x 6. I always tell my students there is a big difference in them stepping aside and after that me pulling the trigger, or the other way around (where they would lose their lives).

Compressing a reverbed signal is totally different from reverbing a compressed signal.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:04 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
I always apply various amounts of verb to my vocals. Depending on what I'm going for, I may add just a touch of reverb to the backing vocals while spicing up the lead. Choosing the proper reverb for the moment is important. If you're trying to go for that big hall sound or small venue sound will lend you to your option. Then I have the 2nd effect to do with as I choose. If I'm going for a specific effect for my vocal, I most likely will take a shot and actually print it permanently to the track. It's a risk, but if I get lucky, then I have 2 effects free (or in my case 4 free). Practice makes perfect.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:16 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
I think the idea is that you can use an effect (one) to dramatically change a sound and then use the result to send to effect number two like for example a distortion. You would then apply the second effect on sound that results from the first one. Just sending the original tone to the second effect would sound strange. Think like first effect is distortion and the second is a tap delay. You dont want the delay to echo the original guitar sound but the one with the distortion applied.

Make sense ?

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:37 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

fngrpepr wrote:
If it runs in parallel, then the approach I describe above would be a way to change to to serial, ie output of eff1 directly feeds into eff2. I suspect that is what is happening.

This is indeed what is going on here. I've played with it a bit before. You can set up a delay, for example, and then run the delay into a reverb setting. That does sound quite different than sending a signal in parallel to the delay and reverb.