The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:29 pm 
Hyper Quoter

Does anybody happen to have any knowledge on how I can apply the correct kind of musicianship/techniques, or "how to play" the "non-keyboard" instruments that I am trying to emulate on my Yamaha keyboard (Clavinova CVP-207.)...any synth will work though...

Things like the guitar, bass guitar, and percussion are very hard for me to learn how to master them using a keyboard, even trying to recreate different "Styles"...

..are there any websites out there that discuss techniques when applying the non-keyboard instrumenst to emulate on a digital keyboard, like bass, strings, woodwinds, percussion, guitar....etc...

Thanks so much everybody!....

Sincerely,
-Mitch-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:49 pm 
Tenderfoot

Favourite food: no animals
Machine type: AW2400
I'll start this one off with a guitar patch tip.

For guitar parts to sound convincing, you should have a good working knowledge of the guitar fretboard for starters, and become familiar with the voicings of guitar chords. For example, playing a simple E major triad with a guitar patch just sounds crappy. However, if you voice it this way:

Begin with the E that's two down from middle C, then add the B above that, then the E above that, the G# above that, the B above that, and the E above that --- then "strum" the keys in a sort of frenzy-paced arpeggio, you get an open E chord as most guitarists would voice it.

A great guitar sample and/or effects can do wonders if the technique is there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:29 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
:lol: Incredible Ricky. I have used guitar patches on high end synths and thought, man, that sounds like crap. Now I know why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:40 pm 
Calf Cutter

I'd always layer 'em with something real nasty and call it distortion.

I think Ricky's method will work much better! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:51 pm 
Tenderfoot

Tune in to my strummin' / blowin' tutorial at TexasStock - and get your minds outta the gutter you dirty sick fuckin' bastards :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:59 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:03 pm 
Hyper Quoter

WoW....thanks Ricky!

I gotta try that technique....would you recommend using a sustain pedal to create the sound of the "strum?"

curious....do any of your keyboards auto transpose the instruments, like Bass, Flute, Organ, or any other an octave higher/lower?

mine does... :?

Too bad when you buy a keyboard with all the patches, they expect you to already know how to play them correctly too w/o giving you a book, or studying that instruments technique. I only studied piano technique...my strings are getting better though!..now to work on the brass, bass, guitar, percussion and other non keyboard techiques....

...thanks again guys!...

keep it coming... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:41 am 
Tenderfoot

Hey Mitch,

The sustain pedal can be useful when switching between different chords, but for the most part I stay off of it when faking a guitar part. I just visualize which strings should be vibrating for which chord voicing and hold down the associated keys.

You might find it useful to split your keyboard at around middle C and assign the same guitar patch to both halves of the split, but transpose the right half down an octave (or two if you like)... this way you can pull off (pun intended) some pretty convincing riffs - essentially it allows you to play the same note with either hand. It's also great for some very cool Genesis/Gentle Giant type guitar arpeggiations that one might achieve by using alternate tunings on one's guitar (should one be so inclined).

Gotta go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:21 am 
Hyper Quoter

Hey....That's Cool.....gotta try that out too! :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:53 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
I use a pitch wheel a lot on my guitar lead patches. An arpagiator (Yamaha's esp.) helps some too for certain styles. I use a pedal progamed to do the mod wheel for those tasty end note vibrato sustains.

On horns (esp. saxes and trombones) if you can adjust the keyboard's attack and release times then convincing parts can be made. I have since gone to a special board that allows a breath controller , 2 pedals , and the pitch wheel to modulate the basic horn voice. I save the right hand to play the melody. :lol: :lol:

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:59 am 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
I do all that in reverse.

I play guitar, using a Roland GR-33 guitar synth, to recreate keyboards, horns, etc with varying degrees of success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:14 am 
Hyper Quoter

Anybody here play using sheetmusic? :?:
I usually rely on sheet music, then I rearrange it....but the bass part on the piano, does/can a bass guitar also play those notes that the piano handles on the left hand side (bass clef)?...like layering a piano w/ a bass guitar on the left side playing together....musical sin or not? :?: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:17 am 
Calf Cutter

I can't get my mind outta the gutter. It's stuck. :lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:45 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

MitchM2004 wrote:
(bass clef)?...like layering a piano w/ a bass guitar on the left side playing together....musical sin or not? :?: :?

If it's a sin I'm going straight to hell! I split my boards all the time. The triton actually lets me cross split voices. I spilt both of mine 3 ways at times on stage. Motif ES in the performance (or song) mode can also change the splits on the fly with a single button press or pedal switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:38 am 
Tenderfoot

A note on pitch-bending "guitar solos": Many synthesizers' pitchbend wheels default to plus/minus one full tone on powerup, which is sometimes a bit much for those more subtle "idiomatic" string bends. I usually set my PB wheel at plus one semitone for the up-bends, and anywhere between minus three-12 semitones for the divebomber whammy-bar effect on the down-bends. Also, I try not to max out the PB wheel with each bend... it's much better to apply random amounts of pitchbend to different notes - guitar players rarely bend up exactly a semitone, or exactly a tone - which is exactly what you get when you max out the wheel... a perfect interval.

Another thing I avoid is using the modulation wheel for applying vibrato to a guitar note - a more realistic effect can be achieved by rolling your own vibrato, again by using the pitchbend wheel. The mod wheel on most synths typically introduces a periodic sine wave vibrato that practically screams "HEY!!! I'M A PROGRAMMABLE LOW FREQUENCY OSCILLATOR WITH NO HUMAN FEELING!!! Great for syncing a cool vibrato-tremolo thing to your drum machine or sequencer, crappy for emulating a real geetar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:40 am 
Hyper Quoter

MSG....Glad to know i'm not the only one who splits the piano with the bass guitar patch....

All I can think of is one of the songs from the rock opera "Hair" in which the song's called "Goin' Down."

:P "Elevator Going Down, Going Down...Going Down..." :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:46 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Ricky Recordo wrote:
A note on pitch-bending "guitar solos": Many synthesizers' pitchbend wheels default to plus/minus one full tone on powerup, which is sometimes a bit much for those more subtle "idiomatic" string bends. I usually set my PB wheel at plus one semitone for the up-bends, and anywhere between minus three-12 semitones for the divebomber whammy-bar effect on the down-bends. Also, I try not to max out the PB wheel with each bend... it's much better to apply random amounts of pitchbend to different notes - guitar players rarely bend up exactly a semitone, or exactly a tone - which is exactly what you get when you max out the wheel... a perfect interval.

I do the same thing.Ricky as you described above and I never hit the stop with the pitch wheel. Dead giveaway.

But I can program my mod wheel almost endlessly. One way for guitars another for say a flute.

msg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:55 am 
Roper

sirN wrote:
I can't get my mind outta the gutter. It's stuck. :lol: 8)

We need to talk about that!

All this synth talk is leaving me feeling...well....synthetic. :roll:

Call me old school, but I love the feel of my fingers on the fretboard. :D

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:56 am 
Calf Cutter

Yeah, I do the same thing.

errrrr.....what was that again? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:12 am 
Tenderfoot

Hey 60's,

You should try my Casio DG-20 digital guitar then... ahh, there's nothing quite like the feeling of sliding your fingers along it's rubber finger"board", caressing each of the six tiny microswitches in every fret while strumming it's black polymer strings, watching them dance as they trigger off the velocity sensors under the bridge - and oh my goodness, that crazy bakelite body and the built-in speaker is to die for!

It is kinda old school too, no? Long since discontinued item, the DG - but my students love the thing!