The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:31 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:38 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Natural healthfood
Oh I forgot to ask you something...
All the SATA drives I tried they are drives with 320GB or more. Do you know if that is the problem?
Maybe the AW1600 can not handle drives which are larger than 80GB?

Anyway.. As I read your topic, you have your AW1600 working with a SD card reader right? So Maybe I should go for that.

Verne Andru wrote:
Windsong wrote:
I did exactly what the guy in the video said... but no results. It must be the IDE2SATA converter.

Fair enough. Trouble-shooting is a process of elimination so we can strike that one off the list.

The video was for the 16G and it's possible sorting out the MBR was one of the upgrades to the 1600, which is good to know going forward. When I did mine I went with a virgin SD card without problems but was prepared to dig in if otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:53 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: hamburgers
Machine type: AW1600
Windsong wrote:
Oh I forgot to ask you something...
All the SATA drives I tried they are drives with 320GB or more. Do you know if that is the problem?
Maybe the AW1600 can not handle drives which are larger than 80GB?

Magic numbers to watch for are around the addressing thresholds of various machines. 256 is one of the magic numbers, so I would think anything under 256 gig should be okay. AFAIK the AW is running a 32-bit RISC architecture on a quasi-Unix file system configured as a RAID array.

Windsong wrote:
Anyway.. As I read your topic, you have your AW1600 working with a SD card reader right? So Maybe I should go for that.

Yup - SD card has been running flawlessly since install. Easier to swap out drives on-the-go, much cheaper and probably a fairly long life-cycle considering how ubiquitous they've become for all sorts of devices. I looked at going SSD but SD card just makes more sense. My son got an AW1600 and we upgraded that one as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:51 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Natural healthfood
I did many different tests... it has nothing to do with the MBR on the disks, im sure of that.
I deleted all MBR with diskpart but no results. And I know how to do that.

Like I said before: I have an older IDE disk with 80GB which comes from my Windows PC. On that disk was a FAT32 partition with MBR.
I putt it in the AW1600 and no issues. So it's not the MBR.

The thing is that I found out that IDE does support only to max. 137GB.
So what I did is to make a partition of max 80GB on the SATA disk, but that didn't work either.
My conclusion is that a native IDE system to a native SATA drive is not working in the AW1600.

What does work like you did is from native IDE to native IDE Flashcard, because the carder works on with native IDE.

Verne Andru wrote:
Windsong wrote:
I'm almost sure that the MBR on the disk is not the problem cause the Yamaha will overwrite that.

No it does not. This is a known issue that has been pointed out by others. If the drive has been preformatted in any way installation will fail because the AW cannot alter the boot record.

This video talks about it starting at 4:00 and discusses how to delete the MBR at around 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEMhm87_oWA

Here's the Service Manual link: https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_aw1600_ ... nload.html

The SM shows a host of error messages and if the drive wasn't detected [because of faulty connecting hardware] you'd probably get something like "CD or HD Access Error!" not the "Incompleted" message you are getting.

I'm not saying the hardware is working, just saying that you've created a known problem by preformatting the drive thereby creating a MBR where there should be none.

The solution to your problem is to delete the MBR and try again with a virgin drive. If that doesn't work, then look at the hardware.