The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:47 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:15 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Cheese
Machine type: AW16G
Just recently got a aw16g and while reading up on it found this place
Which is awesome
So just wanted to say hi and thank you to everyone for this epic resource
Learnt alot already and looking forward to continuing with this trend
And hopefully I'll be able to contribute something useful myself in time
Hope everyone is well and stay safe
Thanks everyone
Mark

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:24 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
welcome aboard. Ask what you will!! somebody usually is able to point you in the direction.

Is the G your First recorder??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:38 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Welcome and congrats on your G. It's a great DAW and one in which you will be able to record, mix and finish your musical projects. If you haven't found the Quick guide (Recording 101), it's great to get you up and running. While this site isn't as populated as it once was, there are still folks around who can help when needed. Enjoy.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:36 am 
Lone Star

Not my very first
I had a Yamaha 4 track tape deck (2 of them actually but only 3 challenge on one lol)
Way back in 2002/3 ish and I've been in a few bands that have recorded way back but I wasn't the guy who did the producing tracking etc
So I know 99% of the terminology and the process but being in the driving seat by myself is new
Used to make techno on fruit loops back a decade ago (I'm planning on taking a similar approach using FL studio to write entire electronic drum tracks and recording from my PC into a stereo channel on the aw16g instead of having a drummer if this makes sense, I'm going for electronic doom metal so should work OK)
I've gone to the dl section on this site and I am reading the 101 and Manuals
I'm also planning on recording my guitar and bass and violin parts straight into the g with no effects or amps etc then running them through my modeling effects and amp cab Sims etc if this makes sense?
I have been a sound system tech and designer for a decade so I've got some hands on experience with acoustic physics and I have a dsp/ lbs (loudspeaker management system) this has daft amounts of signal routing hi and low pass filters it's main job is crossover eq compression limiter and time/phase alignment for large speaker systems which will be useful I've got a line 6 m13 multi effects modeller a few amps and cabs and a few amp and cab Sims to hand a fair few effect pedals a mackie cfx 12 mixing desk (the pres and built in effects might be useful.... Lol)
A couple of five string basses (including a fretless) about 20 odd electric guitars and a few acoustics I'm planning on taking up violin soon if I can find a decent left handed cheap electric violin
Hopefully some of my skills will randomly help on the forums here
Sorry for the ramble lol
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:40 am 
Lone Star

Also I'm wanting to get some outboard effect units for extra flexibility and extra effects but I'm on a budget
Any good suggestions?
I will slowly obtain as much stuff as I can to make recording easier and more importantly more successful
So anything people think I should be adding to the above kit list I'm happy for suggestions lol
Thanks again and for the warm welcome
If I can help anyone else myself please let me know :-)
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:26 am 
Marker Magician

a mackie cfx 12 mixing desk (the pres and built in effects might be useful.... Lol

Don't overlook those pres on the Mackie. You might find the pres on the G a bit on the shy side. While they will do the job it often require the gain to 9 or 10 on the dial.

The very first time I used a G, my first experience with any DAW - a rental, it was a mackie board that helped gain stage. We plug our mics into the Mackie and used the insert (send-return) ports with guitar cords inserted to the first click, to send a juicy signal to the G. That was a long time ago!!

Your stuff that you are working on sounds loud!! I suspect??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:08 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
If you are planning to record direct with a mic, as Byron said, you'll find the G pre's very low volume. If you're on a seriously tight budget, you will want to invest in the Art Tube Preamp.

It will boost your signal quite nicely. To get the least noise, I adjust both the G preamp and the Art to get a good level and keep the hiss down to a minimum. If you have more money, then by all means a small mixer will offer you more flexibility down the road. If so, a nice inexpensive alternative would be this Yamaha mixer. There are certainly many many mixers out there to choose from.

rz-land