The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Corn
Machine type: AW16G
Thanks for letting me in Robbie, close the portal any time. Hello other members.

I have had my aw16g for years. I quit using it as I would continually get lost in the menues, and or not be able to find my way back to the same place. I have also failed at recording using other formats since, so thought I would give this thing another shot. The band went to a recording studio, where we got a great recording, and that has whetted our appetite to record ourselves. Cover band, two guitars, drums and bass. We do have an electronic kit we could use to record.

Thanks Steve

Vancouver B.C.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:48 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Good luck with your project. Speak up with any questions, newbie or otherwise. You will be pleased with results.

Got any music to post, even if from your studio sessions, so we can hear for what you are shooting?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:06 am 
Lone Star

Thanks Byron, I really am extra hopeless at this stuff. My best recording ever, on my own was using a little condenser mic equipped toneworks by Korg! If I can just copy an paste a link off SoundCloud I think I can put up a recording that a little basement recording studio helped us with. Cover of a Mathew Good tune:

https://www.reverbnation.com/Daypass/so ... status-red

We just want to try to records this sort of cover on our own, as part of the General hobby, of being in a non pro band.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:09 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Welcome to the forum, Steve! :)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:44 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Welcome. Listened to your cover. Nicely done.

Here's the thing about the 16G. It's not difficult to use. You just have to learn the basics. When I first started, I read the basic quick guide Recording 101. I printed the thing out and stapled it together. It became my reference guide. I did a step by step to the G as I read each page. It really got me started.

Good luck.

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:01 pm 
Marker Magician

Thanks for the samples.

IMHO I prefer the "first" mix rather than the "remix". Good things happening in both mixes though.

Keep us posted. Remember it is digital, not tape, so headroom while tracking is important. Pushing the limit is not advisable, as there is no "Saturation", as with tape. Although you will find that there is a zone of forgiveness at the meter's peak, before digital noise appears. Peaks of -6dB are advisable.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 pm 
Lone Star

Thanks all, document is so often mentioned,I have downloaded it, and will make a hard copy when I get into the office. I pick up my long lent out. Aw16g tomorrow, and it will be a week of just diving in I suspect.

Byron, thanks for that. In the remix, the fellow from Poland (Mr. Gassik) removed most of my Guitar part, and played himself. He is a killer guitar player, but I think the song just needs that funny single note march (and lead) that I played on our version. I have often marveled at how satisfying it is to show up and play that simple part, repetitive though it is.

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome, and encouragement. I sing on the cover below. We had a fixed date to record and I showed up with a rotten head cold. I would love to record my vocal again, (on the aw 16g?) and scrap the track from that day. Possible I think yes?

https://www.reverbnation.com/Daypass/so ... -headlight

Steve