The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Scenes and Memories
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:40 am 
Dude

Favourite food: peas and rice
Machine type: AW1600
Can anyone please give me a laymans point of view about libraries and scene memories and whats possible. Im not quite understanding the manual.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Scenes and Memories
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:36 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Scenes are very important. You should create at least one scene in every song. When a song is recalled from the list, the settings that were in place do not automatically get restored. Settings from the last song remain in place. so a scene is necessary to re-establish a song to the point where the scene was saved. good habit to make a scene before powering down, so you can restore to a previous state.

Libraries are similar, but specific to individual utilities such as EQ, DYN etc.

Not really practical to think about creating a central library, that would be available on all songs. I could elaborate on this if you want to know the reasons, but you may discover as you dig in.

Learn about scenes by trying it out, then ask specific questions. Look at the VIEW >> Faders screen to discover the relation of a fader's physical location to the virtual value, as set by a scene. Make a scene, move a few faders, then recall the scene and look at the VIEW >> Faders screen. Note the shading on the fader's images and how it changes as a fader is run up and down. More on this if you don't understand what i am getting at. An important aspect that the manual does not really explain.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:16 am 
Dude

So Byron, if a channel library contains all the mix parameter settings, whats the major difference between that and a scene memory or do i need both?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 pm 
Marker Magician

A channel library is something i do not use regularly, but should perhaps. It will restore all the settings EQ, DYN etc for a channel specified upon recall, if i remember correctly. this way it would be faster to restore complete settings EQ DYN etc. for , perhaps a vocalist if you want use the same settings over again.

The rub with channel or individual utility libraries is that when you create a new song the settings EQ DYN etc. from the previous song stay in place. But the library is "reinitialized" to a list that contains only the Yamaha presets.

When you create a song you are given opportunity to import the scenes, libraries and Tempo map info from the previous song. If you import libraries at this creation of the song stage, then you will have your saved settings from the previous song. But, if you later in the project want to import libraries from another song, then the libraries will be overwritten. this means that if you have been working on a song and have saved some items to your library but then retrieve settings from another song's library, the items you saved in your earlier work on the current project will be overwritten. this discourages creation of a central library of settings you create for yourself. i suppose if you chose to ALWAYS import the library from the previous song upon creation, you could carry all your settings forward and build upon them. but forget to do that once, then you compromise your effort to build a single library for future use.

Scenes on the other hand restore all the settings in the scene's "snap-shot", on all channels (Channel libraries are for specified channels) You need to make scenes for every song you create, especially if you intend to bounce from one project to another.

Clear as mud? Keep asking. Find the the VIEW >>Fader screen to help you understand the relationship between the physical and virtual (volume) values. Important!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:36 pm 
Dude

ok I think i understand , I created a scene for every channel(12) i used. was that necessary? Or is it just one scene per song?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
keygod wrote:
ok I think i understand , I created a scene for every channel(12) i used. was that necessary? Or is it just one scene per song?

I use one scene. As I make changes to the fx or dynamics etc, I save the scene. I guess using one per track will work provided you save as you go and names each one accordingly.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:51 pm 
Marker Magician

I've never done it as you suggest but I suppose it could be effective. Lots of time taken to actually perform all the saves and then load them in when you return to a project though. So the most efficient way is to make a global scene, using the SCENE button. I also think that a method of creating channel libraries for channels individually will not get you a complete picture.

You would not have control of EFF with your method. A channel library would set the dials for send/return levels for each EFF but the actual preset or "tweaked and saved" EFF library would not be recalled by a channel library call-up.

A global scene recalls almost all the setting on the whole machine, with one call-up. very efficient when returning to a project after working on another.

There may be one item that a global scene recall does not accomplish however. (See Ch. VIEW screen of the ST. Ch.) There is an attenuation dial at the front of the chain. This is important to keep in mind if you ever use that attenuation setting to dial back or increase the overall level of a mix. This is an easy way to rein in a mix that is pushing a lot of gain as you build it. You perhaps like what you are creating but it is pushing to OVER and your options are either pull back the red fader or go back to the individual channels and pull each back Time, time, time. ... an easier solution is to leave faders where they are, to maintain the relative volume balance you have created, and instead control the overall level of the whole mix at the top of the Stereo Channel's chain. This done, you can avoid going OVER on the meter and , if you wish, maintain headroom to allow gentle compression, EQ or EFF application to signal of the overall mix as it goes through the Stereo Bus

So to your scenes issue, the attenuation level on the ST CH. actually becomes part of the Scene used to establish the mix. So when you have mixed down and go to listen back to the recorded version of your mix the playback will be attenuated by the setting at the head of the ST channel, giving a false impression. You must remember to reset that setting manually to 0dB, if you use it, to realistically assess the outcome of your recorded mix as it will actually be heard when burned to disc.

Confusing? somewhat, but the main point is that global scenes are the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 pm 
Dude

I actually thought I was doing a whole lot, but when i accessed the scene button only one track was displayed. But thanks for clearing that up for me guys!

"A global scene recalls almost all the setting on the whole machine, with one call-up".

So this includes all dynamics and eq settings? I was under the impression that those settings were "read only"and could only be saved as a library. Am i interpreting this wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:17 am 
Marker Magician

I was under the impression that those settings were "read only"and could only be saved as a library. Am i interpreting this wrong?

Scenes are global .. every thing is saved as you have set it. This capacity is critical to abilty to return to a project after working on another. You need to be able to call up ALL the setting as they existed when you last worked upon the song. A scene does this. No scene ??? >> back to the drawing board.

The presets in all the libraries are "locked" and are read-only, ie they can not be modified >> ..then saved to the same slot in the library from whence they were loaded. But, when you load a preset you are able to tweak parameters within. If you like what you accomplished you are able then to save that complete set of parameters to a new slot in the EFF library. Use the jog wheel to scroll down the EFF Library list and when you see a slot with no (preset) name attached >> save your work to that slot. You will then have to create or change the name that the machine asks you to confirm. Now that preset will remain in that project's library until it is overwritten.

Read my earlier message about the difficulty in maintaining a library that would be available in every one of your projects. It is doable but requires regimen, remembering to carry your libraries forward each time you create a song (ie project). If you neglect to do this even once, then libraries become separated and you may have two libraries on the go. There is no capacity to "call up" a library in order to add it to another library. Libraries are not added one to the other ... they overwrite each other.

I am a bit confused by when you said " but when i accessed the scene button only one track was displayed."