The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:55 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Italian
Machine type: AW1600
Hello ! Thanks for the add in this site that is sooo needed as Yamaha and others are no longer willing or able to offer Support. I'm also here to help others when I'm able, as a old time Studio guy from Tascam 144 Portastudio, through the analog growth to professional 2" 24 track Otari MX80, D&R 59 Frame In-Line Recording Desk and a selection of Lexicon, DBX, Revox, etc....all around. That's all history now, and recently returned with the "all in one concept" for home studio. Yamaha AW2816, Tascam 2488, and currently the Korg D3200's, which are great machines. The newest acquisitions are a pair of Yamaha AW1600's, which look very promising. I'm a big fan of the 2005 ish "peak" hardware MTR's last effort vs the DAW revolution. DAW's do a whole lot more, but this era of machine fits both worlds quite well. Full MIDI connection to other hardware, USB connection to transfer files to use DAW's as you choose. The solid platform, portability, and purpose-built concept is a solid centerpiece for jumping in any direction. That's my story. Hoping to share information with other AW1600 owners and all that can be done in a dedicated Forum.

Last edited by wolf1419 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:13 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Greetings. Welcome to the forum. With the demise of the DAW, so has this forum diminished. There are still plenty of us that hover around and contribute in the form of help to noobs and uploading songs created on the DAW's. In some cases, other songs created on different gear is uploaded, but it's all welcome. Rob is our "host" of ceremonies and as you'll soon find out, we love to drivel, especially about cheese. The units we discuss, but not limited to, are the original AW16G, which is the predecessor to your AW1600's, the 2816 and 4416, and my DAW the AW2400. I went from the AW16 to the 24 tracker. Several here own the 2400 and as do I, find it to be a remarkable machine.

People still drop by from time to time so give it a bit and they'll be around to say hey. In the meantime, grab a piece of red wax cheese and make yourself at home. :-"
Ron

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 pm 
Dude

Cheese for Everyone..... ! Thanks for the heads up. The AW2400 is a very powerful, complete machine. The 1600 should be similar in approach to operating system logic, TOOLS similarities, and basic operation. AW2400's still command a premium price as well. The 1600's fit for my budget and use as quality, portable machines w/8XLR for Live/Studio/Solo work. Nice to find AW users. The sampler sequencer is a nice touch. Nice to know there's life out there in 2005 All in One Land. CHEERS !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:24 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Welcome to the forum.

I still own my original G and although I've not been very careful with it, it still works.

If you get to choose... skip the red wax. :-)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:00 am 
Dude

Robbie wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

I still own my original G and although I've not been very careful with it, it still works.

If you get to choose... skip the red wax. :-)

Hey Robbie, thanks for the reg..... no red wax, no handling with care, and your G's still working. That's a positive for the Yamahas. Anyone out there using the AW1600 and still active ……. wake up, you got a new friend :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:18 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
HI And Welcome. I believe Andreas has a 1600. I'll give him a shout and see waht he can come up with.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:54 pm 
Dude

fordirk wrote:
HI And Welcome. I believe Andreas has a 1600. I'll give him a shout and see waht he can come up with.

Wonderful news ….. thank you for your efforts ….. fingers crossed xx [trying all over the planet - seemed simple enough …. there's probably old disks lost amongst many music CD's, all collecting dust - many machines sold with no CD - they are hiding somewhere] Thanks, Ron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:34 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
It would seem you can still download the software to update the os.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/52029_en.html

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:45 pm 
Dude

fordirk wrote:
It would seem you can still download the software to update the os.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/52029_en.html

Thanks, I have that saved as: In a minute it might be gone [so much of the old support, links, etc.... disappear with no notice on the internet - NSA probably has it all, but doesn't need it, or know what to do with it - lost to the people who need it - that's progress .... 8) ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:14 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
That file is also on the docs page http://www.dijonstock.com/index.php?page=the-docs-page

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:28 am 
Dude

Robbie wrote:

I see 1.13 there as well, which is a great save before Yamaha drops the last support. The important file in the meantime, until a full disk is available is: AW16_000.TAR [The AW1600 Demo sang and Sample library]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:35 pm 
Marker Magician

wolf1419 wrote:
Robbie wrote:

I see 1.13 there as well, which is a great save before Yamaha drops the last support. The important file in the meantime, until a full disk is available is: AW16_000.TAR [The AW1600 Demo sang and Sample library]

Caution with the Demo Song. Lots said about that on this forum. Search and you will find mostly caution and negative comments about that song. The mix reflects max knowledge of the machine's capabilities and is mainly a giant confuser for less knowledgeable users. EFF get turned on and off and most users find this very confusing as to the how ???

Also you have to remember that new global setting are not loaded when a new Song (project) is loaded. Global settings "linger". Learn to use the Scenes capabilities and the absolute utility of "Recall Initial Settings" in the Scene library.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:53 pm 
Dude

Byron wrote:
wolf1419 wrote:
Robbie wrote:

Caution with the Demo Song. Lots said about that on this forum. Search and you will find mostly caution and negative comments about that song. The mix reflects max knowledge of the machine's capabilities and is mainly a giant confuser for less knowledgeable users. EFF get turned on and off and most users find this very confusing as to the how ???

Also you have to remember that new global setting are not loaded when a new Song (project) is loaded. Global settings "linger". Learn to use the Scenes capabilities and the absolute utility of "Recall Initial Settings" in the Scene library.

Hello, I appreciate your support and unique direction. It's nice to see activity in this Forum. I will look deeper into the archives for guidance. I'm an experienced recording engineer, though new to the AW1600. As more research is done to get under the hood of this Series, it comes to light that there's a base operating menu in the AW1600, which boots to the HDD into the Versions, currently V1.13, [ which needed to be done on machine#2 from a CD made from this site - success on that 8-17-18].

One possible issue with restoring from the original tools disk is that it may install the original operating system + demo song + Samples library, which is what I'm seeking. The deepness of the Demo would be a good thing to experience, also understanding that the Update V1.13 may have to be redone to keep everything current if it reverts back when loading the original disk in full, eliminating a few bugs of the original FW.

Thanks for the attention to use of scenes and initial settings, which would surely have people scratching their heads. It's very important to understand how the "logic" is applied in all situations to best use the tool effectively, get past the frustration stage, and know the strengths and limitations. Thank You - great perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:35 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Hey Wolf - looking at your post I realize it's been too long since I stopped by. :oops:

I'm still using the AW16g I got in 2003 with no issues. It's all-in-one format suits me quite well, although I wish I were in the 2005 time frame you are, as I'd sure appreciate the USB port. :D

The 1600 and the g are functionally equivalent machines in terms of the way they operate. The 1600 just added some new features (24 bit capability, USB port, bigger hard drive, more XLR inputs, grid function in the sample pad area). I think those are about the only differences we were able to ID when it first came out. Yeah, some of us have been hanging out here for a long time. :)

-John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:12 pm 
Dude

Thank You all for the Tips, direction, and Support of the AW Series. The differences on the AWG and 1600 are not huge, but it got it just over the line with the few extras, notably USB for easier interfacing, copying, etc between many pieces of gear. After 2005's, etc, USB was added to most gear, then started losing the MIDI Din connections. Both onboard is the nice way to communicate all over the place with minimal hassle - old and new gear. I got Samples working for drum composing, and the importance of scenes and tempo maps, being implemented almost too heavily between songs, just as stated. The Demo brings that all to light as a potential roadblock, BUT also shows all the interaction under the hood. Understanding the guts are the keys to the kingdom.

I've not done as much with AW1600's as I planned [happens every time I decide to work alone], I got a great offer to join The Brothers All Band on bass/vocals. A great bunch of quality musicians, and a renewed respect for Allman Bros. contribution. I'm busy, busy going through that catalogue …. Berry's bass is like playing lead bass throughout the songs - it's intricate stuff, and loving the challenge. We will hit the stage in early 2019 in the Northeast, USA.

The AW1600's (Korg D3200, Fantom X6, Roland D5, GNX4, etc, etc) will be there for me after I've got the band parts going strong. Life is Good !! Cheers to all of you out in Yammie Land. I'm enjoying the good company. RONZO EFFECT (FB)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:44 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Gratz on the band! Sounds like something I'd love to hear. Never been to the Northeastern US. Would love to travel the New England states one day. Here in the Mid South, we travel south . . . . to Florida! :shock: Take that 1600 along, record some songs and load them here. Be great to listen.

rz-land