The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:27 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Greetings. On this Good Friday, where work has come to a stand still and I have time to play, I thought I'd share a project I assumed would be simple to do. But at Newton said, "For every action . . . .

On to the story. My neighbor a few houses down is in his 80's and is young spirited as can be. He has always had a love for woodworking and is a premier artist when it comes to making cabinetry or pretty much anything having to do with wood. When he built his home some 20 years ago, he took 50% of the upstairs and turned it onto a wood working shop. All the equipment is in one room, all the finishing work is in another. He has stairs installed in the garage so he can bypass the house and carry up his various woods.

He has always offered to me the use of his work shop. I have done several fun projects there. I love being his apprentice. I learn something new every time. This time, I asked him to help me build a small stand for my AW2400. I wanted something that would raise up the back and also extend the length so the bottom feet of the AW would rest easier on my desk. He pulled a sheet of wood and cut it. He won't let me cut yet. That's why I still have all my fingers. Once the parts were cut, first he let me rout the edges for a round smooth appearance. Then I drilled and screwed the leg in place.

As you can see, the extra length really helped secure the AW for a better fit on my narrow desk. My 16G fit there perfect. This is a much deeper recorder and now it fits fine. But, when I put the AW on the stand something happened! I had my headphone amp just below my power conditioner where the AW normally fit. Not any more. With the added height of the AW2400, the cables didn't fit. So, I had to remove the amp. The fit for the AW is perfect, but now . . . no place for my headphone amp.

I thought about it for days. Then I decided I'd try and find an L bracket that might accommodate the rack mount on each side of the amp. Come to find out, the holes are drilled way wrong and that wasn't gonna work. I decided to use wood. Not wanting to bother my neighbor, I decided to tackle the project myself. I had just bought a new jig saw and have plenty of wood scraps lying around. I measured, drilled and took two blocks of wood and screwed them under the desk. Only problem, one side I drilled the holes just a bit too big. So, I have a screw lose (never stopped me before). It still fits and holds great.

That wire you see underneath was another crazy idea I had. It's a coat hanger bent to hold my headphones. I used the screws that came for the under mount keyboard. With the headphone amp underneath the AW2400, I have a little extra room to roam. I can also have 3 other folks over and they can set their own levels. The wiring was easy. I took a stereo 1/4" Y adapter, two 3' instrument cables, went out of the AW' headphone jack & into the left right inputs of the amp.

It almost looks like it's sitting on that shelve below. But it's no where near it. Also I decided to use some cardboard I cut and put on each screw to try and not scratch the mounts. I'm very pleased with the end result and now I can control the volume level without having to stretch over the AW.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:14 pm 
Marker Magician

looks great Ron.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:32 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Nice work!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:55 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Ron. I'm just glad to see your still at it. Looks good.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:22 am 
Roper

It looks great, Ron!

I especially like this photo.

:thumbup:

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:19 am 
Roper

RZ wrote:
Hey Randy,

Thanks for the kind words. The photo you liked is also my favorite photo of my recording set up. I attempted to set it up to be easy for me to sit on my drum throne and swivel around and have complete access to my drums, keyboards, AW2400, and rack mounted equipment without having to stand up to reach for any control knobs. The set up worked great for about 6 months before I began to gain weight. I weighed 165 lbs when I initially positioned everything. I have since gained 40 lbs and I am having a really really hard time swiveling on my drum throne. I think I need to rearrange my entire set up again,

Ron

I totally understand the getting older thing and gaining weight seemingly over night. It creeps up on you like a thief in the night.

Your set up is in the room I slept in, right?

:cheese1: :D

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:37 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
60's guy wrote:
RZ wrote:
Hey Randy,

Thanks for the kind words. The photo you liked is also my favorite photo of my recording set up. I attempted to set it up to be easy for me to sit on my drum throne and swivel around and have complete access to my drums, keyboards, AW2400, and rack mounted equipment without having to stand up to reach for any control knobs. The set up worked great for about 6 months before I began to gain weight. I weighed 165 lbs when I initially positioned everything. I have since gained 40 lbs and I am having a really really hard time swiveling on my drum throne. I think I need to rearrange my entire set up again,

Ron

I totally understand the getting older thing and gaining weight seemingly over night. It creeps up on you like a thief in the night.

Your set up is in the room I slept in, right?

:cheese1: :D

Hmmm. Not sure where that quote came from. For one thing I haven't weighed 165 since I was a teenager. But I digress. I haven't had my studio in that room in some 5 years. Everything is situated in my office and is a bit tight, but completely workable. Perhaps I was referring to my small attic room where I could barely get around due to the short angled roof and tight room width.

rz-land