The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie to the "g"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:38 am 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Home Cooking
Machine type: AW2816
Hi all...this forum is so cool seems like everybody on here is "old school" so I hope I fit in cause I don't know anything else but old school!! :wink:

I just got an aw16g in a deal that I bought a complete pa system and the recorder has a few issues. The main issue is that only half of the LCD works...is there any remedy or repair for that problem? :(

Also the cd burner is broken and if I understand the info on the web, certain Dell laptop cd-roms will work with the machine.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated here in Tennessee!!

Thanks guys!!
MRM

Post subject: Re: Newbie to the "g"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:50 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Welcome. I can't help on the LCD issue, but perhaps someone will come along. I can't recall that issue coming up in the past, so not sure what a search on this forum would provide ??? There are lots of Gs on the auction sites, usually. so if this one doesn't work out, pick up another G, or an AW1600 or 2400. Lots of "old school" help on this site. These are good machines.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:01 am 
Lone Star

Byron wrote:
Welcome. I can't help on the LCD issue, but perhaps someone will come along. I can't recall that issue coming up in the past, so not sure what a search on this forum would provide ??? There are lots of Gs on the auction sites, usually. so if this one doesn't work out, pick up another G, or an AW1600 or 2400. Lots of "old school" help on this site. These are good machines.
hanks

Thanks for the advice Byron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:55 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
mrmcneal wrote:
Hi all...this forum is so cool seems like everybody on here is "old school" so I hope I fit in cause I don't know anything else but old school!! :wink:

I just got an aw16g in a deal that I bought a complete pa system and the recorder has a few issues. The main issue is that only half of the LCD works...is there any remedy or repair for that problem? :(

Also the cd burner is broken and if I understand the info on the web, certain Dell laptop cd-roms will work with the machine.

Thanks guys!!
MRM

Gotta hook you up with RZ.... he's a Nashville cronie...maybe he will visit soon. Hope to hear some of your recordings when you get the 16G up and running... do a forum search for cd burner etc.

we put the old in old school!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:06 pm 
Lone Star

bokchoy wrote:
mrmcneal wrote:

Thanks guys!!
MRM

Gotta hook you up with RZ.... he's a Nashville cronie...maybe he will visit soon. Hope to hear some of your recordings when you get the 16G up and running... do a forum search for cd burner etc.

we put the old in old school!

Thanks...I'm looking forward to putting together some stuff over the winter...especially if I can get this one going or come up with another one!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:35 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Rick and welcome to the forum.

Re. your LCD... it might just be a faulty contact. Problem is, you'll have to open the machine and that is quite a lot of work. And if it turns out not to be the contacts you spent that time for nothing. But maybe it's worth a shot.

You can find more info here: http://docs.dijonstock.com/dissection/stripdown%20-%20Page%201%20of%201.htm

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:21 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Memphis.

Welcome. Old school is the way. The G is a very nice recorder. I don't know the insides of the G so I can't tell u if the screen can be repaired or replaced. Yes you can exchange the CD burner. However, before you put money in this G, look around for a nice deal on a 1600.

If u spent time using a tape machine, the transition to digital can be daunting. With the recording 101 doc it makes for an easier learning experience.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:02 pm 
Lone Star

Robbie wrote:
Hi Rick and welcome to the forum.

Re. your LCD... it might just be a faulty contact. Problem is, you'll have to open the machine and that is quite a lot of work. And if it turns out not to be the contacts you spent that time for nothing. But maybe it's worth a shot.

You can find more info here: http://docs.dijonstock.com/dissection/stripdown%20-%20Page%201%20of%201.htm

Thanks Robbie!! I have been pondering the idea of taking it apart and see if it actually is a contact...I like to tinker with stuff anyway. My drummer is an electronic genius and usually has to clean up after I've screwed something up so maybe he can look at it for me.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:08 pm 
Lone Star

RZ wrote:
Memphis.

Welcome. Old school is the way. The G is a very nice recorder. I don't know the insides of the G so I can't tell u if the screen can be repaired or replaced. Yes you can exchange the CD burner. However, before you put money in this G, look around for a nice deal on a 1600.

If u spent time using a tape machine, the transition to digital can be daunting. With the recording 101 doc it makes for an easier learning experience.

Glad to hear from a Memphis whether it's Memphis Tennessee or not... :wink:

I've downloaded the 101 manual and it looks readable at least...I like to have hands on while reading the manual. If I can't get this one going I'll definitely go with another G or a 1600...especially after hearing you guys talk about the quality of the Yamaha recorders.

Thanks for the info Memphis!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:22 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Yessir I'm in Memphis, TN.

If u can't get the G to work, definitely be on the look out for a 1600. Just the usb is worth it. If you study ebay carefully you can grab one at a sweet price.

Where in TN are you?

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:37 pm 
Lone Star

RZ wrote:
Yessir I'm in Memphis, TN.

If u can't get the G to work, definitely be on the look out for a 1600. Just the usb is worth it. If you study ebay carefully you can grab one at a sweet price.

Where in TN are you?

I'm from a small town about half way between Nashville and Knoxville called Monterey right on I40. Reminds me of Mayberry RFD...lol. So the 1600 has a USB port...would that mean that it could be interfaced with a PC?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:03 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Yes it can be linked to pc by the usb, and also by the midi in and out.
You can use with any Daw to control the volume with the faders, and also use the on off channel buttons to mute channels, and also the pan to control the eh...pan.
The transport buttons can also be used.
Studio one is my recommendation as it is the simplest to use and set up with the Yammies.
Good luck with what your doing.

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:06 pm 
Lone Star

T.Mac. wrote:
Yes it can be linked to pc by the usb, and also by the midi in and out.
You can use with any Daw to control the volume with the faders, and also use the on off channel buttons to mute channels, and also the pan to control the eh...pan.
The transport buttons can also be used.
Studio one is my recommendation as it is the simplest to use and set up with the Yammies.
Good luck with what your doing.

T.

Ok thanks for the info!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:33 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: home made tortillas
Machine type: AW4416

and do not overlook the aw4416 as a possible upgrade ...

very affordable on the secondary market ....

said the guy with 2 ......