The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: AW4416?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:38 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: STEAK
Machine type: AW16G
Hi all,

Been looking at a couple of these, i know they are old machines but you can get them pretty cheaply now.
I was wondering if one would be better than the 16G i have now or if i'm better sticking with the machine i have???

All help gratefully recieved!

Cheers

Les

Post subject: Re: AW4416?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:42 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
A 4416 would be very useful IMHO. More channels, 24 bit, 2 card slots (look for a y56K card to fill one of them), lots of patching options, upgradeable HD size ( 20 gig is stock, but can accept up to 160 gig I think) ...... at the price point theses days, these machines are worth the effort required to hop on the learning curve. If you know the G you are well on your way.

go for it! Keep the G too. you will find it handy to carry away from the studio if you want to grab a track elsewhere, as the 4416 is much bigger.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:48 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
IMPO, I would have a little patience, gather up a bit more change and find a killer deal on an AW2400. Having 8 additional "MONO" tracks at your disposal, 4 banks of effects, automation of faders, fx, pan and more, room for expansion and I could go on and on. Just to give you an idea, I scored mine on ebay years ago for $680 delivered (I'm pretty sure of that price). I got lucky, but you probably could as well if you troll ebay and wait around. It's so worth it . . . right Byron!

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:54 pm 
Marker Magician

yes the 2400 is what i would put at the top of my AW list. but, the 4416 has its place too. if you can't find a 2400 for your price point. they seem to be coming down below $1K though. so Ron's suggestion to troll and be patient is good advice.

The 4416 does have automated faders. It has 2 slots. ( i wish the 2400 had 2 slots) It has but 2 effects buses I think, but with a y56k card this is a moot point. so i would want one of those cards. Haven't seen one on an ebay auction, but they will turn up. The 4416 can be midi'd to your G, so the track count can be increased, if necessary.

The one great feature (IMO) of the 4416 is the ability to assign the AUX buses to the faders. The 2400 can't do this. I would use mine for live sound much more often if i could more easily access and control the monitor mixes I fold back to the stage. Using the LCD screen and the jog wheel is very inconvenient for on-the-fly adjustment of monitor mixes.

All this said, the 2400 is a great machine. so - right you are Ron - look at that first. I have been tempted to pick up a 4416, but there is only so much room and "need".

If a 4416 can be obtained cheaply enough you can work with it while you troll for the 2400. It would allow you to learn the advantages of the automix features so when you get a 2400 you would be away to the races

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:56 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Yes, there is only so much room for music gear. Choose wisely.

Which is why I've decided, since I am now crammed for space in my office/studio, that my dollars are now going towards a hobby with a smaller footprint. Therefore I have just ordered my 6th fountain pen. Two of which are vintage and reasonably priced. Always good to add a hobby!

rz-land