The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: martin 000m
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:23 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
Thinking about buying a decent acoustic.

Anyone have thoughts about a Martin 000m ?

Post subject: Re: martin 000m
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:43 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Hey Oscar! I know little to nothing about Martin's other than they are sought after guitars. Back in the day when I was choosing an acoustic, I played both the Martin and the Taylor. I felt the Taylor had the sound I was after so I went that way.

Here's what others have to say about the Martin 000M Auditorium Acoustic Guitar (scroll down to see reviews).

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:56 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Don`t know much about those except what the reviews on the net say, I think acoustics are all about if it sounds and feels right in your hands. Always preferred Takamine`s myself.
Hope you get what your looking for.

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:14 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
Are you looking for warmth or recordability? I've got a Taylor 815CE that records wonderfully...It's bright for a bigger bodied guitar and cuts thru the mix well...but I still have to do a bit of EQ in the mix despite its sonic qualities...I suppose you would have to do the same with a Martin... just depends on what sound you are after....

=P~ But I long for the warmth of a Martin D28 or 35--- something about sitting around with a nice acoustic and playing alone and/or developing new material...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:28 pm 

bokchoy wrote:
I've got a Taylor 815CE that records wonderfully...

When? :-"

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:07 am 
Greenhorn

I have got several Martins (HD28, D18 and DCX1E) and love them all. The bass you get from a Martin is second to none in my view. Having said that, one of the best guitars I own for the money is a 1970s Guild D25. I have played several of them over the years and they are wonderful guitars. You could get a vintage one from the 70s for much cheaper than a new Martin. Everyone wants a Martin or Taylor or Gibson acoustic and Guilds kind of get forgotten about, and thus their prices reflect that. But they are hand made guitars built in the Guild Rhode Island factory. Certainly at UK prices, if I was going to spend up to £1000 on a guitar I'd track down a second hand GuildD25 which would probably cost around £600, rather than a new Martin. For the money its an amazing guitar.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trks ... &_from=R40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:18 pm 
The Reverend

RZ wrote:
bokchoy wrote:
I've got a Taylor 815CE that records wonderfully...

When? :-"

I dunno...it records itself :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:29 pm 
Marker Magician

I met a guy once that had a guitar named Thunder - The Wonder Guitar. Perhaps your Taylor is a cousin or brother?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:23 pm 
The Reverend

Byron wrote:
I met a guy once that had a guitar named Thunder - The Wonder Guitar. Perhaps your Taylor is a cousin or brother?

actually a second cousin once removed named Blunder...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:20 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Also considering a 1980s Sigma for about 450 usd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:08 am 
The Reverend

Oscar wrote:
Also considering a 1980s Sigma for about 450 usd

Under the Martin umbrella, right?

Ever played a Seagull? They have some good guitars in that price range...

http://seagullguitars.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:54 pm 

bokchoy wrote:

Ever played a Seagull? They have some good guitars in that price range...

http://seagullguitars.com/

A good friend of mine always played his Taylor 614CE. He got his hands on a 6 string Seagull and now plays them about equally. He loves it. And as Bok said, great price.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:09 am 
Roper

[quote="alexeltonwall"The bass you get from a Martin is second to none in my view. Having said that, one of the best guitars I own for the money is a 1970s Guild D25. I have played several of them over the years and they are wonderful guitars. You could get a vintage one from the 70s for much cheaper than a new Martin. Everyone wants a Martin or Taylor or Gibson acoustic and Guilds kind of get forgotten about, and thus their prices reflect that. But they are hand made guitars built in the Guild Rhode Island factory. Certainly at UK prices, if I was going to spend up to £1000 on a guitar I'd track down a second hand GuildD25 which would probably cost around £600, rather than a new Martin. For the money its an amazing guitar.[/quote]
I own a Guild 1970 built D25. It is an awesome acoustic guitar.

By the way..... I was born in Westerly, RI and lived there until 1980 when I moved to Connecticut.

I remember where and when the Guild factory was in operation in RI. My home at the the time was perhaps a quarter mile away from the factory.

My brother in law used to drive truck for Guild delivering guitars to the distribution center in New Jersey.

Initially, way back then .....I wasn't overly impressed with Guild acoustic guitars.

My opinion has changed since then.

My 1970 Guild D25 guitar perhaps has the best tone of all the acoustic guitars that I own.

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:45 am 
Greenhorn

60's Guy - wow. That is cool that you are from Westerly and have the family connection with Guild! Don't suppose you have any old photos of the factory/your brother and his truck etc do you?

They certainly are cool guitars. I had a 1975 D25 some years ago which I loved. Then, ironically (to this thread), I sold it to buy a Martin. I love the Martin, but after a few years realised it was a mistake to have sold the Guild. So when I could afford it I tracked down another one which I still have and absolutely love. I've also played a 72 and a 74 and they have all been brilliant guitars. A guitarist friend came over recently and preferred the Guild to the Martin. It amazes me how cheaply they can be picked up. Only drawback that I can see is that the original machine heads were not that great. A lot of the ones you see second hand have already had them replaced. I changed my for Grovers.

Have you played the smaller bodied Guild M20? I like the look of those but have never played one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:18 pm 
Marker Magician

I have a mid 60s Guild tube amp (Thunder) that was perhaps constructed in that factory. It looks really retro with a two tone grill cloth. It has two speakers, a 12 and an 8". When the spring reverb is engaged the 8" is dedicated to the reverb. When the verb is not on, the main signal plays through the 8".. The pamphlet from Guild that was still with it when i got the box last year describes the inputs. There is one "normal, one marked "bright" and another marked "microphone". The pamphlet highlites the notion that the "bright" input is ideal for "accordion". There is a nice sounding Tremolo on the amp too and a hard wired foot pedal. The box gets all sorts of comments on both its look and clean tone.

When did Guild stop North American production? I think Fender owns the name now.

I know a couple of more modern guild dreads. The one I know best is extremely sympathetic to other sound energy in the room when not being played and has to be powered down as it will quickly begin to vibrate and cause feedback. Were the older models like that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:11 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Ok, I have taken your advice & just bought a 1979 guild d25 with a Cherry finish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:20 pm 

Oscar wrote:
Ok, I have taken your advice & just bought a 1979 guild d25 with a Cherry finish

Nice score. While I've never played one personally, everyone who has loves them. Enjoy.

Oh btw, your signature, I learned it a different way. The way it was told to me was: "Life is a shit sandwich. Every day is another bite." :-k

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:38 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Funny you should mention my signature, as I heard another variation the other day. LIASS, eat it or die.

Am the only be free for the sigma. Time is running out, I may have buggered up again and will.own 2 guitars when I only wanted.one. I need a cull

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:42 pm 

Oscar wrote:
Funny you should mention my signature, as I heard another variation the other day. LIASS, eat it or die.

Am the only be free for the sigma. Time is running out, I may have buggered up again and will.own 2 guitars when I only wanted.one. I need a cull

If you put a bid on ebay or a similar site, you can pull out of the auction. I've had to do the same thing a while back. I can't recall how I did it, but it can be done. You can google it I'm sure.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:36 pm 
Greenhorn

Congratulations on the purchase of the D25! Hope you like it. Let us know what you think.