The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:07 am 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
Machine type: AW2400
First off, thanks so much to all involved for getting the site back up and running. I guess it's true that you don't know how much you miss something until it's gone!

Here's my situation: I very recently purchased a Waves Y96K card off of eBay ... to be received this week. However, there is no manual or user guide coming with the card. I have contacted both Waves and Yamaha, neither of which can provide a user guide. I've also googled it exhaustively with no luck.

If anyone out there is a Y96K user and can help me out in any way, it will be sincerely appreciated. My immediate concern is to insert the card and make sure that it's fully functional. The price was only $250, which makes me a little suspicious, but it comes with a 14-day return policy, so I'm anxious to fire it up and see if all the processors work ... but I don't imagine I'll get too far without the manual.

H E L P!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:55 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Glad you made it back to the forum. Byron is all things Y96K. I have looked around and didn't find any info on the card. You'll get it working I'm sure.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:26 am 
Marker Magician

Just back on line in the midst of the shakeup we have gone through. I am in some sort of virtual link that has something to do with my IP address not being on the correct list ....

$250 for a y96k card is terrific. I felt i got a super deal at about $900 US about 5 years ago.

the manual is somewhat useful. I would scan and email you the pertinent page, if it comes to that. I refer to the manual occassionally. the main rub is that the manual doesn't address the AW 2400, byt rahter the AW 4416. the 4416 patching was different/more complicated. That machine had two slots as well. The manual does describe the (limited) tweeking possibilities in the various utilities. To have limits to the tweeking you can do, at first i questioned, but as i used the utilities, I realized there is no need to tweek too much, as the presets and the critical elements are so well designed that the available options more than suffice, and make the interface fairly simple to utilize.

That said, there is a learning curve. . I would be hard pressed to do without the card now. My most recent step on the curve was to conect the card to an M-Audio 8 channel pre/AD converter i bouth off ebay, via lightpipe. so now my AW has 16 fully functional pre amps, 8 of which bypass the AW pres.

To quote our esteemed colleague, Skygod, the "limiters are killer" That aspect alone steps up the post production capacity. but the verbs, de-esser and compressors are very good too. PM me with your questions and i will get you pointed in the right direction.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:34 am 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
That's cool what you're doing with the Y96K card and the M-Audio Pre. It's easy to get caught thinking of only the processing side of the card and to forget that it offers additional I/O. I think it's great that you're continually seeking and finding ways to maximize the utility of the AW.

I PM'd you re: my situation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:13 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: marzipan
Hey all

So I managed to get a Y96k card in 2020!! for about £300 in total ouch! but this is going to be fun in my AW2400
Just wondering if anyone can scan in some of the manual for it for me ? in the mean time ill have a look as im sure ill stumble upon something on google about it!

Thanks
Riki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:13 am 
Marker Magician

I have plenty of hours on the learning curve. You are going to like what it can do for you.

One annoying feature is that holding down a cursor key or a + - key does not result in repeat, so there is more button pushing. Jog wheel works.

there are a few other things that i can steer you on as they unfold.

The UltraMax is great! I use the EQ and de esser and the verb regularly. the compressors are simple to operate, giving few adjustable parameters. but the few are useful and subtle.

There are capacity limits on the two processors 1-4 and 5-8. You will encounter this for sure as you load up the chains.

there is a procedure to use the card for ADAT input, but the default HOST setting meshes with the on board Tracks nicely. Use the VIEW button on the AW to access the screen where you assign a chain on the card to the track of choice. The on screen messages re assignment displaying on the Waves screen in lower corner are confusing at first.

It might be best to do this via PM if you have detailed questions, as very few people have this card. Users of the y56k card could advise on use, as the cards are similar.

you did fairly well with L 300 = 1.33 US that means you got it for 400 US. I paid 900 for mine and that was a deal shortly after the end of production. they were going for 1500+ US when new.

Send me your Questions. I do have a manual. It is in a soft covered booklet. It could be scanned, but have a look around to see if you can turn one up. If not I could send you some pages, but it would take some time as book are a pain to scan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:39 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: marzipan
Thankyou Bryon, Much appreciated

Its been good so far Ive pretty much figured out most of what I can do, its a shame that Trueverb takes up so much of its memory capacity!

My issue at the moment is how to get True verb and the stereo delay to come out stereo, I have them selected as stereo next to host in the waves control panel. If I have one delay panned left it still comes out left and right so the delay is only playing back as MONO.
1 and 2 > HOST > st. > Delay

Ive tried having, for instance, tracks 1&2 Grouped as a stereo track or separate and it still does not work in Stereo and
Insert effects for
track one > SLOT 1
track two > SLOT 2

Not sure if this is the best way to do it or not

Cheers

Only other issue with this Waves card is that on an effects page next to where it says waves there are arrows left and right I presume to cycle through effects, I cannot get those buttons to work so I have to go load, not really an issue but...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:38 pm 
Marker Magician

I am no expert on the Tap delay. I'll give that a look next time i am at that desk.

When you set a chain (eg 7&8) on the card to stereo and then assign slot 7 to one track of a stereo pair on the AW (eg track 3 of 3&4 paired), the other track of the AW pair (in this case Tr 4) is automatically assigned to the other slot ( 8 in this eg) of the chains stereo pair. That is how it works with my machine

Those arrows to which you refer, do work on my card. They only appear when you are positioned at a "box" within a chain and those arrows toggle you to the next position on the chain in which you are working. But they are often inconvenient to use. say you have an EQ/DeEss/Verb/Limit and are sitting in the EQ. You finish your tweeks on the EQ and wish to move to further tweek the Limiter. You are looking at the parameter page of the EQ. To get to the Limit Parameters you have to toggle to the top line of the EQ Parameter page, then to the arrows, hit the > and you are moved to the parameter Page of the next in chain, which in this example is the DeEss. And you will be placed on some parameter on the left side of the page. so then multiple more button pushes to get back to the arrows. You tap the > and you will land on the Parameter page of the Verb. then again to get to the Limiter. VERY inconvenient. The other way is to toggle tot he Waves box in the top right corner. Tap that and you will be shown the page of chains, and you will be in the EQ box (this example chain). Use the cursor keys or jog wheel to move to the Limiter ( fourth in this eg chain), hit enter, select properties, and then you will see the Parameter page of the Limiter page. Still inconvenient, but much better than using those arrows. Navigation issues are a bit of a pain. too bad the 2400 has no mouse capabilities. The 4416 accommodates a mouse so that might be better on that machine.

The manual was created for describing use with the 4416. I think obsolescence set in before they produced any documentation specifically for the 2400.

Send me a PM with a personal email and I can send some pages right to you from the manual as you need them. Or i could load a zip folder to the file share section of this forum if that is your preferred method.

The Tap Delay does work in stereo, but it there is a learning curve for sure. The direct (dry) and tap 1 and tap 2 have individual on/off, gain, and placement controls as well as feedback and feed forward and modulation aspects. I have fiddled a bit in prep for this response. I have not used the tap delay often enough to become expert, partly because of the need to set all these parameters to get it working well. But my bench test today did allow me to move the delays around in the stereo field and to get them synched well with the tempo of my test song. The manual covering the delay is about 6 pages, but once you work through it things do become clearer. For me it is a combination of reading the manual and tweaking as i go in order to actually hear the adjustments while interpreting their description in the manual.

Let me know how you want to receive the manual pages and we can get going on it.