The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:58 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Back in the 70's I decided to learn how to play bass. Saw this Hagstrom in the want ads of the local paper. Got it for $50. Never did much with it until this weekend. Found this guy advertising on Craigslist for guitar setup. So I watched him for a while on his facebook page and liked what I saw. He was building a custom bass from scratch. I decided to see what he could do with an old Aerodyne strat I have. He did a super clean setup on it. It's plays nice.

Then I decided to see what he could do with this Hagstrom. It really needed lots of help. Not that I'll play it a lot, but I wanted to bring back it's life. I think he did it. But it took a lot to get there. Here are some photos.

Because I didn't have any befores, this is the after as it sits on his bench.

Take a look at this pitiful neck.

The nut had cracked and the previous owner had tried to glue the thing down. It was a mess.

He was able to get it out and ready for a new bone nut.

This is the finished and cleaned neck.

The body actually unscrews apart top and bottom. He repaired some holes with dowels so the screws would fit snug.

He repaired all the electronics including the replacement of the volume pot which had burned out.

Here it is at home in it's OEM case.

Now it plays so much better and all the switches function. The bottom plate which had begun to pull apart from the body is now on tight. It's never going to be a gigging bass, but it's one that I will keep for my collection.

I've tried to date it, but I'm finding that the serial number doesn't necessarily represent the date. I've been on countless sites, the best I can figure is this is a mid to late 60's bass made in Sweden. I'm very happy to have her home and in good working order.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
Your guy did a great job of refurbishing your bass!

I used to own a Hagstrom HIIB bass, exactly like the one in this photo. I bought it used in the mid-70s and used it for many years. I really liked that bass, so I'm not sure why I sold it. It's possible that it was never sold, but stolen. My memory is kind of hazy, on why I don't have it anymore.

At some point in the 80s, I replaced the Hagstrom with the early 70s Fender Mustang Bass that I still own.