The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:46 am 
Muse-ician

Machine type: Tascam
A while ago I jumped ship for the Zoom R-24 and I reasonably sang its praises... well... that love fest is over.

There were a lot of problems with it. Inaccurate metering, faulty inputs, extremely noisy pots... the things that I liked about it were outweighed by the fact that I never got a satisfactory recording. I always had to take it to Audacity and fix a ton of things in post production on the computer.

The Tascam DP-24 has resolved all of that. It is truly rivals my love the the AW16G!

What do I like about it? It records to SD. USB connectivity. You can assign the faders to subgroups! The list goes on.

The following track is my 1st recording on it using the Fishman TriplePlay. Everything was done on the guitar except the drum track.

4:49PM Friday

I've been taking lot of classes from TrueFire.com that has really helped me compositionally. (Now if I could just work on my rhythm...)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:26 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Hey Acoustic. I'm almost sorry to hear that. I did not do much direct recording on the zoom R24 and i admit that you don't have much control over the volume of tracks as the metering is pretty weak. As an audio interface it seems to work rather well though. Witness my last recording. The final mastering level was too low but once you know how to adjust inputs it gets a lot better. I also need to watch the output volume when i mixdoN in cubase. I found the recording tracks to be very clear. I'll test the 96 kHz later and expect it to be even better.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:12 pm 
Muse-ician

No worries... I like to do all my recording "on the box" and not involve the computer.

I almost like this as much as my 16G, so it all worked out in the end!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:03 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
I've been reading up and following threads on the DP-24 and I have thought about getting one. I got a 2488 Neo instead, because the DP-24 doesn't have scenes and you cannot apply compression to recorded tracks. I have gleaned this from the manual and from forums. Is this true or have I got it all wring? I really like the idea of SD cards instead of a HD. I really like the look of the screen on the DP-24, but it seems to be a step backward from the Neo given the scenes and compression thing.

:)
CDA.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:18 pm 
Muse-ician

cda wrote:
I've been reading up and following threads on the DP-24 and I have thought about getting one. I got a 2488 Neo instead, because the DP-24 doesn't have scenes and you cannot apply compression to recorded tracks. I have gleaned this from the manual and from forums. Is this true or have I got it all wring? I really like the idea of SD cards instead of a HD. I really like the look of the screen on the DP-24, but it seems to be a step backward from the Neo given the scenes and compression thing.

:)
CDA.

Hey... sorry for the delay in responding. You're right, compression is only offered on the input tracks, you can't bounce using compression. I suppose you could side chain it by sending the output to the effects loop send, then routing that back into the inputs and applying compression there. I don't think that would be a problem, although I've never tried it.

As far as scenes go, you're right, the DP-24 does not offer scenes. Of course, the only time I've ever used them was when I wanted a smooth fade out of a song. I would set 2 different volumes and a transition time for the scene change, and even then I did it on a digital mixer and not a recorder.

Overall, I'm still pretty pleased with it. There are some things that are easier to do than on the 16G, but I do miss it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:06 am 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
acoustic356 wrote:
you're right, the DP-24 does not offer scenes.

(sorry for the thread necro, guys but i figured the info was relevent)

i bought a new DP-32, the larger brother of the DP-24 - and 'no scenes' was a major disappointment for me as i use them a lot during recording. the other major omission for me was lack of vari-tune - my poor vocal cords are often one semitone shy of the note i needed to reach; on the G i could just tune the machine down and record the part. the DP-32 required much farting around in Melodyne or similar to get the same result. and one of my guitars is a surly temperamental Ibanez JEM, which often it was far easier to tune the G to the guitar, than the other way around

during my brief spell on the DP-32 i ended up using midi to fake having scenes, in the same way i'd use it for automix on the G - record the incoming CCs in Sonar, but it was a hassle in that i'd have to tweak each control to the correct place, and delete every CC value from the stream except for the last one for each control and adjust their times** - so i ended up with a short duration file that would feed those values back to the DP-32 whenever i played it back. this allowed me to painlessly get my basic desk setup for whenever i began a new song

but overall i found the advantages didn't outweigh the disadvantages on the newer machine, and ended up instead buying an extra G and coupling that up with my original G via optic+midi, and just accept that i was going to be burning a lot of CDs whenever i wanted to externally edit my tracks.

my DP-32 went back in its box and has stayed there ever since. i keep it around 'just in case' and i also bought yet another spare G, just in case...

i also gained a newfound respect of just how versatile and well-planned the G is, and how easy it was to do tasks that were difficult or impossible on the DP-32. e.g. move single trks 7 and 8 to paired 15-16? easy on the G. on the DP i'd first have to outboard edit and convert the 2 single wavs to one stereo wav. compression on a recorded track? easy on the G. on the DP, outboard editing was required again. etc. etc. ad nauseum

** if it took me 10 minutes to fiddle every required control, playing back the result to set up the desk would take 10 minutes. by editing the stream, i had a file that would set up the desk in about half a second.

/end thread necro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Too bad the Tascam didn't "pan" out. I'm surprised you didn't try and return it. I started my recording hobby with Tascam products. My first was a 4 track Teac reel to reel. I found the matching mixer and had a fun little studio that took up a small corner of the room. I eventually sold it when I noticed Tascam had begun their foray into the digital realm. Oh my how I hated that unit. I promptly sold it on ebay. Then came the 16G and the rest is history. I'm happy with my AW2400. Probably all the kit I need for my limited play. But I sure have the itch to dig into computer based recording. I think having those big wav files in my face and the easy editing may get me motivated. I even have a spare I3 computer laying around collecting dust. I've been reading a bit about reaper and for a mere $60 bucks, I can have it all. A small interface and I'm recording. Will I do it? Who knows. In the meantime a guy can dream can't he?

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 am 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
RZ wrote:
Too bad the Tascam didn't "pan" out. I'm surprised you didn't try and return it. I started my recording hobby with Tascam products.

same here, my first recording unit was a Tascam Porta One 4-track.

i kept the DP-32 for 'future proofing' reasons, i.e. if the newest DAWs are removing useful features instead of adding them like the current trend indicates (like vari-pitch and MIDI are now absent on a few new units) then at least i'll have a newish MIDI-capable recorder, just in case all my AW16G's crap themselves en masse

...and the resale value of the DP-32 isn't very high currently, so i don't really want to take a $600 loss just to free up a few feet of cupboard space

---> speaking of future-proofing, i managed to pick up Sonar X3 Producer for just $50 during a Steam flash sale a while back. so if my old old old Sonar 2 ever becomes unusable, i'll have a modern replacement that can read all my files. AND it came with a free mini version of Melodyne that i can use as a stand-alone processor. major win.