The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:34 pm 
Adult.

Hi guys,

A friend gave me a Fender Tele, beautiful Tiger Maple neck-through, fat frets, coil splitter and just a neat little unit. It's a Korean made guitar, so I doubt it's high-end, but my first Fender nonetheless...And fer free... :-"

I guess I should post a pic, but I have a new Nikon and I haven't loaded the software yet, will soon.

The headstock on this beauty is broken, about an inch above the truss rod access. My friend tells me it's reparable, started talking about "splines" and special adhesives, and my eyes glazed over. Someone had attempted a really bad repair and the thing's a mess, so I'm wondering if I can get any input from you guys? Do they sell headstock repair kits? If so, I haven't found one yet.

Anyway, thought I'd ask...

edit
Oh, it's a "Special Edition" Tele FMT (pic not mine, but exact same axe, without the damage)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
It's a beauty, I hope you can repair it.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:17 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I have a friend who has done a couple, sounds similar to your axe. He too repaired a bad attempt, and the thing looks and works great now. If you are looking for advice i would connect you. I'd have to find his email, and i will be away from this site a bit over the next two weeks, but i will check in and see if you have managed to get the advice you seek before i act further.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:16 pm 
Adult.

I'd appreciate that, Byron.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:48 pm 
Marker Magician

Ok, when I,m back from Boston I will call my contact and connect you. He used some doweling to reinforce the repair ithink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:36 pm 
Marker Magician

Stettoman, do you still want to talk to someone regarding your repair challenge?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:01 pm 
Adult.

Aw shoot, sorry, wasn't paying attention.

Yeah Byron, I took the guitar to my 82 year old dad, a woodworker, who wanted no part of it.

You can see that more damage was done by someone with ham hands and a dowel than the original break. It's gonna be dammed ugly no matter what, but heck, it's just a guitar, right?

I thought of sawing the neck off and routing for a bolt-on, but I need some options...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:49 pm 
Marker Magician

That looks ugly. My buddy repaired a "clean" break. I'll show him and see what he says, but for sure this repair is in a different class than the one of which I spoke.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:59 am 
Adult.

Yeah, that glue joint is worse in person. I've tried to figure out how to "rebreak" it and clean the crap glue out, but the previous rocket scientist did such a number on it...It looks like they tried twice with two different types of glue, one clear and one more of a wood glue type.

I wish he'd have just given it to me broken, not criminally repaired.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:45 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
What did the f$%&/ guy do to this guitar.

If it is glued with wood glue, it will never break at this part. What I would do is to cut this part of with an wide angle and reglue a new wooden part in the middle of the neck/headstock. Use wood glue and clamp it after this.

Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:04 pm 
Adult.

The guitar was in the possesion of my friend's dad, who is in his late 70s. They have frequent grandchid visits, and I think one of them must have gotten to play rockstar with it. I was not told who "fixed" it.

I've gone to a couple guitar building forums and now have the guts/foolishness to try to repair it myself. I learned that vinegar will dissolve wood glue. This stuff did not dissolve, but softened enough to get it apart. There are actually three pieces, and all have been cleaned enough to reassemble correctly. The fit is going to need a lot of filling, because whoever "fixed" it before did some damage of their own, like compressing the jagged edges in an attempt to force it back together.

I'm convinced to try hide glue, the stuff that luthiers use to repair necks and attach fretboards. There is a liquid version available, and I'll try that. Then, if the bond is viable, I'll try my hand at putting in a couple of maple splints to add strength.

The guitar was free, so going this route I'm not out much more than time. If it doesn't work I'll saw the neck off and rout for a bolt-on...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:03 pm 
Adult.

A few progress photos:

Slowly separating with heated vinegar:

The separated pieces. Note the smaller chunk on the left. This "repair" was re-shaped after it was glued, so parts won't look very well lined up when repositioned.

After repositioning, glue (Elmer's ProBond aliphalic) and some creative clamping (amazing how few parallel opposing surfaces there are in this "neck" o' the woods)

As poor as this bond looks, it is rigid and feels very strong. I flooded the surfaces with wood glue and likely wiped off more excess than was left in the joint, but voids and crevices were well-filled. If not for the previous tinkerer I could have gotten even tighter tolerances.

Considering the amount of glue used I'm going to let this set for a week before doing any more with it, which will involve *gulp* routing a channel in the back to install a substantial maple spline. I will attempt to dress it up some with wood filler and a sealer, but looks aren't my goal...Although it's been suggested that I try this:

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Tec ... erlay.html

In any case, I think whatever route I take will be successful (what we in Mark Twain's country call "Famous Last Words").

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:00 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I say you go for it. That pictorial on Frets was awesome and I'll bet you can do it as good. And if you've a mind to, finish it out so it looks new. It'll be an great project.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:57 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Wow Eric, that is positivley brutal. I don't think I've ever seen gangrene on a guitar before. :D

I'm guessing you'll have a cool player when you're done, regardless of how much consmetic work you can manage. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:20 pm 
Adult.

Cosmetics are not even a consideration. This axe will likely never leave my studio, and if it does, well hell, look at Willie's Martin!

My dad does have a lot of the necessary machines to do a "backstrap", if he'll let me use his shop. He's already refused to work on the guitar. If I can get to the right equipment and actually laminate a maple face and back over this scar, then maybe I'll think of makin' 'er pretty too... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:31 pm 
Adult.

OK, those of you with weak stomachs for this kind of intrusive surgery can look away...

Here...

...we...

...go.

Using a disc abrasive (30 grit :shock: ) on a drill press to mill the back of the headstock.

I went in paper-thin increments until about 1/16" was removed. The rest will be hand planed.

...Except it's more of a hand "rasp". Did the trick nicely.

Dremeling a kinder, gentler heel radius. This is the most aggressive dremel bit I've ever used.

I'm amazed at how flat I got it. Yes, I cheated and used flat files, but still, freehand? =D>

The profile...

This started out as a nice 24" X 6" sheet of 1/8" clear maple. There was some beautiful grain on one side, but as you see I opted for the tighter, more boring-but-strengthening side.

I steamed the maple in the microwave and have dry-clamped it in order to persuade it to hold to the heel. Since this shot was taken I did it over again after rough cutting a Tele headstock shape.

That is all for now. The guitar will sit quietly in a corner of my studio for a week of rest. Then the messy parts begin...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 pm 
Cowhand

Favourite food: Fishcakes
Machine type: AW1600
I was almost expecting to see blood - yours I mean! I think that perhaps when you've finished this job, you might consider retraining as a plastic surgeon. Maybe Willie's Martin could be your first patient...

http://www.howardgardener.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:44 pm 
Adult.

If not for the fat bass-player callouses on my fingertips you would have seen blood. I hit them more than once with that rascally rasp...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:01 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Wow looks like quite the task. I can't wait to see the progression.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:02 pm 
Cowhand

Favourite food: Fishcakes
Machine type: AW1600
I know that feeling. I once worked in a Japanese restaurant and one of my jobs was to grate the radishes. I was advised that when the grated radish appeared red, I'd probably grated enough!

http://www.howardgardener.co.uk/