The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:09 pm 
The General

All,

Will one of these deliver phantom power from the preamp to the mic? Also, since it is designed for stage use, would it adversely impact studio quality signal flow?

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-x-4-CHANNEL-25-FO ... 7C294%3A50

I've never had problems with phantom power on long mic cord runs (25') but I'm not sure if the additional connection from the snake to the mic would impact delivery of the power needed for condensers.

I'm tired of stretching long mic cords from my preamps to Rayzor's drums. I know many of you use patch bays but I'm not sure that would solve my problem.

Advice please.

Thanks all.

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Hi Gary,
This should work ok with phantom. It's hard to judge a "stage quality", but is probably good enough for rec. Neutrik XLR/shielding looks ok, Oxigen free copper would be better than Low oxigen, but what do I know - perhaps this is equal :D

Using jack patchbay with phantom power is NO GOOD, can damage electronics if un/plugged when 48V on! The safest way to go phantom power is canon/XLR.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:24 am 
The General

Gracias Senor!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:29 am 
Roper

Bartman wrote:
All,

Will one of these deliver phantom power from the preamp to the mic? Also, since it is designed for stage use, would it adversely impact studio quality signal flow?

Yes, it will deliver the 48 volt phantom power because it's a 3 pin deal and it won't affect whatever it is you think "studio quality signal flow" is.

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:15 pm 
The General

60's guy wrote:
Bartman wrote:
All,

Yes, it will deliver the 48 volt phantom power because it's a 3 pin deal and it won't affect whatever it is you think "studio quality signal flow" is.

Hi Randy. Is there no difference between stage quality and studio quality when it comes to signal flow....specifically noise?

I ask the question because the item is described by the seller as a "stage" snake. It made me think that there might be a difference and others on here who really know about this stuff might be able to offer alternative solutions.

When I think "studio quality signal flow", I don't want to hear humm, buzz or other unwanted artifacts. There are items in my guitar arsenal and past arsenal that I would use on stage but never in the studio for those very reasons. My old tape echoplex comes to mind. The unit had character and a cool vibe but it was noisey as heck. In a live stage sitation, it wasn't a big deal but when you threw a mic on it, the noise would drive any of us crazy. So, that's what I was thinking.

Begs the question: are all cables, connectors created equal? I always thought that they kinda are for short runs, but for longer lengths (like a snake), the quality does come into play. But that's just what I thought, not what I know.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:24 pm 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
Machine type: AW16G
Quote:
but for longer lengths (like a snake), the quality does come into play.

resistance and capacitance are your enemies with long leads.

resistance causes a lower signal level. capacitance can shave off some of your precious high frequencies (in a similar way to how the capacitor in a guitar's tone-circuit works)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:28 pm 
The General

clivewil wrote:
Quote:
but for longer lengths (like a snake), the quality does come into play.

resistance and capacitance are your enemies with long leads.

resistance causes a lower signal level. capacitance can shave off some of your precious high frequencies (in a similar way to how the capacitor in a guitar's tone-circuit works)

Thanks Clive. That's why I asked the question.

Do you think I'd have any such issues using the unit I referenced?

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:07 am 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
Machine type: AW16G
Quote:
Do you think I'd have any such issues using the unit I referenced?

it's hard for me to say, sorry. i'd need to look at the conductors themselves (which would mean chopping a plug off. a conductor with many fine strands is better for both stage and studio than a conductor with only a few really thick ones, and a good braided shield is better than foil or mere straight wires) - the proof is in the pudding i guess, but it *appears* ok

i made myself a small 4-way snake from some leftover Canare and it has thin flyleads like shown in that pic; it has been great for my home setup. like mine, the one in the pic looks like it wouldn't handle much rough treatment or touring but in a fixed situation like a studio where they rarely if ever get moved, it should be fine

as to the stage vs. studio equation, remember that stage situations are often rife with electrical and RF noise - fluoros, lighting rigs with dimmers, etc. whereas studios are more carefully planned or even in some cases RF shielded. so - in theory anyway - a stage snake would have a cause to be equal or better quality than an average studio snake, because a little hum through a 50,000 watt PA suddenly ain't little no more

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:52 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
My opinion is it will work just fine. Looks like a very nice one for the money. I use several of them in my setup.

Everybody knows not to plug or unplug with phantom on.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:09 am 
The General

The snake was delivered today.

All the connections tested out great, phantom power works and it sounds excellent.

The best part is no more crawling behind the preamps in my cramped little recording space to plug/un-plug mic cables! =D>

Only time will tell, but the unit seems like it is built well and is a value for the price.

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:25 am 
Roper

Bartman wrote:
The snake was delivered today.

All the connections tested out great, phantom power works and it sounds excellent.

I had no doubt about that, Gary, hence my earlier testy response. :wink:

It stands to reason that quality manufactured snakes perform well when used in a live venue setting and within recording studios.

Many many many live album tracks have been processed directly from the FOH console to a recorder at concert venues.

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone